User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone Camped in Europe?

We were stationed in Germany 92-95 and camped all over Western Europe. We had a Ford F-150 and a 1970 Coleman pop up camper with no spare. Couldn’t find a rim to fit it so we just didn’t fret over it. Never had a flat or any issues at all and we put lots of miles on that old thing. I guess they don’t make them like they used to. We gifted the camper to a young family when we left for the States. We had some great times. In our experience European campgrounds were generally much more developed than ours. Spotless bath houses, bakeries and restaurants on site, fluff and fold laundry services, etc. It was a hoot.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5471A3CD-9C27-4C92-8CE5-0829A8EB431A.jpeg 
Views:	4 
Size:	105.9 KB 
ID:	38723
    Diane and Mike
    2022 280RS. Onan generator, Sumo Springs, MORyde crossmembers, hardwired surge protector
    2015 F-350 DRW 4x4 6.7L Power Stroke Feed Truck. 4.10s, front & rear stabilizer bars, Andersen 3221-TBX
    2021 Thor Chateau 22E Class C (retired) & 1970 Pop-Up Camper (retired - saw much of Western Europe)

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife backpacked/tent camped all over Western Europe in the '80s and early '90s when her kids were young. They were living in Spain at the time and these trips are some of her fondest memories.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never camped while in Europe (typically stayed at on post temporary billets for free and at Armed Forces Recreation Center in Garmische many times during the 70's thru 80's. However I have heard that now it appears that CONUS retirees and active duty service members must be able to prove that they have been in country for 30 days or on orders to use the Garmische hotel. Bummer, the Armed Forces Recreation Centers in that area were nice. Had many memories staying there as both a dependent and service member while visiting and skiing the Zugspitze and Alps.

Still dont mind staying and paying a little more at German hotels if I go back........ loved the complimentary Frühstück (brötchen, butter and deli meats) each morning! Man do I miss their fresh breads, meats and confections - especially the street vender weisswurst, currywurst, brats, pommes frites, and Senf! I even liked their version of mayo for the fries - using the german mayo for the fries over there was an acquired taste for most Americans who always have used ketchup...... I guess living in Wolfratshausen on and off with my german relatives and on the economy for over 10 years helped changed my views on that and other german foods and condiments.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    Never camped while in Europe (typically stayed at on post temporary billets for free and at Armed Forces Recreation Center in Garmische many times during the 70's thru 80's. However I have heard that now it appears that CONUS retirees and active duty service members must be able to prove that they have been in country for 30 days or on orders to use the Garmische hotel. Bummer, the Armed Forces Recreation Centers in that area were nice. Had many memories staying there as both a dependent and service member while visiting and skiing the Zugspitze and Alps.

Still dont mind staying and paying a little more at German hotels if I go back........ loved the complimentary Frühstück (brötchen, butter and deli meats) each morning! Man do I miss their fresh breads, meats and confections - especially the street vender weisswurst, currywurst, brats, pommes frites, and Senf! I even liked their version of mayo for the fries - using the german mayo for the fries over there was an acquired taste for most Americans who always have used ketchup...... I guess living in Wolfratshausen on and off with my german relatives and on the economy for over 10 years helped changed my views on that and other german foods and condiments.
    I attended a few courses at the NATO school in Garmische. Also vacationed there many times. Diane and I took golf lessons there. Beautiful.
    Diane and Mike
    2022 280RS. Onan generator, Sumo Springs, MORyde crossmembers, hardwired surge protector
    2015 F-350 DRW 4x4 6.7L Power Stroke Feed Truck. 4.10s, front & rear stabilizer bars, Andersen 3221-TBX
    2021 Thor Chateau 22E Class C (retired) & 1970 Pop-Up Camper (retired - saw much of Western Europe)

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes! Backpacking and tent camping throughout Germany, southern Spain, small trip in France, Poland, my ancestral homeland in Northern Italy. Started in high school and continued on with buddies during and after college. Out of our group, I made the most world targets we planned, including Siberia (actually on assignment as a young consulting engineer). The world is a big, beautiful place and time immersed in the culture is so much more than a week of vacation! Anyone who has the means, do it!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Clay View Post
    I attended a few courses at the NATO school in Garmische. Also vacationed there many times. Diane and I took golf lessons there. Beautiful.
    Yeah... as an IT engineer working for the MEDCOM I got to travel to US military hospitals in USAREUR installing software and setting up hardware. Got lots of opportunity to travel and meet the local nationals. Volksmarching, bicyclling, and using public transportation was very popular and accessible throughout most of Europe. Sometimes took my Peugeot touring bicycle with me on the Bahn when traveling or on TDY.

Your original comments about the cleanliness in Germany is spot on! When I was in Germany (then West Germany for me), they were very prideful of keeping their country clean. About the only polution I was ever aware of, was some of the rivers around the industrial cities which may have had some polution issues from nearby factories and or barges. I remember reading a few posted signs about the potential exposure when walking near a few of them. Also, there were concerns about damage to the Black Forrest from auto emissions when I was there. They started to finally phase out leaded gas in the 80's, which was a problem if bringing or buying a new US made car (through AAFEES then) and having it sent over there. I didn't own one while serving over there, but my dad did. He ordered and bought a new Mustang, and when it got there the catalytic converter was in the trunk because Germany still used leaded gas back in the 70's. When cars came back from Bremerhaven to CONUS they had to go through US customs to ensure they had the required emissions for the year built placed back on the car.

Otherwise, Germany was a very beautiful and friendly country to visit indeed.... hope to go back some day.
    Last edited by trailrydr; 01-27-2022 at 05:12 AM.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)