User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Yes, National Forest land is also free in most places and usually allows up to 14 days....more available out West though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    We are going to Roswell in May and Colorado in June....I need to find an overnight or couple of nights near Pueblo CO.

Thanks FT
    Msgt Ray (Ret) and Margie Parker
    2022 GD 303RLS w/Gen-Y gooseneck
    2020 Ram 2500 HD Cummins 6.7/3.73 gears

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    Evening to all.
    The Mrs and I have several trips (baring gas prices) this year. We have as of yet, not stayed overnight in anyone's parking lot, but have chosen to pick rv parks. THAT can get expensive when traveling so much. I've ask some questions concerning this but may I ask........
    What KIND of choices are there to to overnight with generator power or battery: (of course, all with some kind of permission)

Walmart.....truck stops....I'm aware of, but could you give me more options please, personal experiences of places to pull over and overnight!!

Thanks all and appreciate the patience with redundancy.

Ray
    Ray,
    just my opinion (as H. G. Wells said - we all have one)......

You've gotten some good options - BLM, Harvest Hosts, Cracker Barrel, etc.

Truck strops are for TRUCKS; the guys who make a living hauling all the 'stuff' we all want. So I always leave that for them. We do stop for lunch sometimes but only stay if there is a lot of parking. And we try to avoid the busier sections.

Harvest Hosts ended up costing as much (or sometimes more) than a commercial campground because I always felt obligated to return the 'favor' and purchase whatever they were selling. I stopped that. Now no more guilt. And often they were not on my route between places.

Cracker Barrel seems to small for me. I did it a few times when I had a smaller RV.

I tried Flying-J once - whew!! - the noise all night long along with the close parking was too much for my nerves.

WalMart - out of the question. I'd be the guy who got his side painted in graffiti or would be the one that people without homes would choose to solicit from.

We just pick inexpensive (that's a relative term these days) campgrounds along the way for overnight stops. Sure, you pay a few dollars, but in the scheme of things it seems safer to us and provides utilities. It's no more expensive than a cheap night out at a diner or local place to eat so maybe trade off one night of eating out for a real campsite.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Ray,
    just my opinion (as H. G. Wells said - we all have one)......

You've gotten some good options - BLM, Harvest Hosts, Cracker Barrel, etc.

Truck strops are for TRUCKS; the guys who make a living hauling all the 'stuff' we all want. So I always leave that for them. We do stop for lunch sometimes but only stay if there is a lot of parking. And we try to avoid the busier sections.

Harvest Hosts ended up costing as much (or sometimes more) than a commercial campground because I always felt obligated to return the 'favor' and purchase whatever they were selling. I stopped that. Now no more guilt. And often they were not on my route between places.

Cracker Barrel seems to small for me. I did it a few times when I had a smaller RV.

I tried Flying-J once - whew!! - the noise all night long along with the close parking was too much for my nerves.

WalMart - out of the question. I'd be the guy who got his side painted in graffiti or would be the one that people without homes would choose to solicit from.

We just pick inexpensive (that's a relative term these days) campgrounds along the way for overnight stops. Sure, you pay a few dollars, but in the scheme of things it seems safer to us and provides utilities. It's no more expensive than a cheap night out at a diner or local place to eat so maybe trade off one night of eating out for a real campsite.
    Larry, your a jem.....those run pretty much alo g the same lines I believe. I think the security of a campground (overnight stay) will be worth the piece of mind.......but yet, just thinking of how to save a dollar here and there.

Thanks Larry for your input.

Ray

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Larry, your a jem.....those run pretty much alo g the same lines I believe. I think the security of a campground (overnight stay) will be worth the piece of mind.......but yet, just thinking of how to save a dollar here and there.

Thanks Larry for your input.

Ray
    Thanks, Ray. I always worry I am going to step on someone's toes.

Thinking about it a bit more, we do seek out state & county parks, COE parks and have stayed longer than planned at some considering their cost and what is in the area. Since we're already members of Passport America I do check those out too as they can be along my route and are usually a good price.

RV Trip Wizard is our go-to site for finding locations. But I use Allstays Camp & RV often too.

Safe travels.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Thanks, Ray. I always worry I am going to step on someone's toes.

Thinking about it a bit more, we do seek out state & county parks, COE parks and have stayed longer than planned at some considering their cost and what is in the area. Since we're already members of Passport America I do check those out too as they can be along my route and are usually a good price.

RV Trip Wizard is our go-to site for finding locations. But I use Allstays Camp & RV often too.

Safe travels.
    Larry, neither the RV Trip Wizard or Allstays Camp is offered on the Android platform.
    Thanks Chief

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Evening to all.
    The Mrs and I have several trips (baring gas prices) this year. We have as of yet, not stayed overnight in anyone's parking lot, but have chosen to pick rv parks. THAT can get expensive when traveling so much. I've ask some questions concerning this but may I ask........
    What KIND of choices are there to to overnight with generator power or battery: (of course, all with some kind of permission)

Walmart.....truck stops....I'm aware of, but could you give me more options please, personal experiences of places to pull over and overnight!!

Thanks all and appreciate the patience with redundancy.

Ray
    Ray,
    The wife and I travel on average 4K to 6K miles per year. Many small towns have city parks with campgrounds. Ellis Kansas is one of our favorite stops but is extremely popular and the sites fill up before 6:00 pm during the summer months. They are usually self check-in and not reservable. Also a lot of towns have fairgrounds that have RV spots that are available for overnight stays .
    I can usually find lower priced overnight stops by using the websites freecampgrounds.net and rvparky.com.

Larry2
    Larry & Paula
    2019 Momentum 21G
    Equalizer 1400 / 14000
    2012 Ram 2500 4x4 CTD

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a corner lot home with full hookups on the side with 50 amp power. Put it in when I had home built so when I have family come down I pull one of my 5th wheels right there. My dad always parks there when he’s heading south for the winter and north during summer too.

2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn Megacab
    2021 RAM 3500 Blackout Megacab
    2019 OpenRange 3X427BHS
    2020 Jayco NorthPoint 382FL
    2021 Luxe Elite 42FL
    2022 Grand Design Solitude 380FL-R

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Larry, neither the RV Trip Wizard or Allstays Camp is offered on the Android platform.
    Thanks Chief
    Try RV Parky, I have used it in the past...don't know if it works on android
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gronk1 View Post
    Try RV Parky, I have used it in the past...don't know if it works on android
    Yes, RV Parky works on Android.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're partial to Cracker Barrel. The 337 is really too long for their "extended" parking spots, but sometimes you can get a spot around the perimeter. Google Earth is your friend. YMMV & regards.
    Ken & Margie
    2020 GD 337
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4X4
    B&W Companion

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast