Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soft start

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soft start

Has anyone installed a softstart on their ac unit. Trying to decide if I need this or not.
    2021 Imagine xls 22rbe
    2018 Silverado 5.3, auto crew cab

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends. If you stay in RV Parks, in other words plugged in, probably not. On the other hand if you boondock, have sufficient solar to operate an air conditioner then soft start is a definite need. Having said that soft start can be advantage when plugged in or using a generator as it will enable air conditioner to operate with less draw, which translates into the ability to use an additional appliance while operating the air conditioner.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, on two. Tested the LRA, locking rotor amps, after the Easystart install, on the main AC & it was 14.9 LRA & the bedroom AC was 10.5 LRA. Can run both A/C on my two Honda gens.

The one thing I forgot to do was test the LRA prior to the easystart install.

FYI…locking rotor amps relates to the expected inrush current during startup. Real world conditions could be higher or lower than this value depending on various factors such as age of the product. Full Load Amps (FLA) is the current used by the motor or compressor when providing the rated output.
    Matt, Trish, Conner & Ethan
    2022 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 Ram 3500 Laramie
    Both Retired USAF

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely helpful if you plug into a 20A or 15A outlet at your house or someone else's, or use a small 2200W generator. They make a big difference. I also just like that when it starts up plugged into 30A, it has a softer cycle start up that isn't as noticeable when sleeping.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjradtech View Post
    Has anyone installed a softstart on their ac unit. Trying to decide if I need this or not.
    We, also, have the soft start on both AC units. We boondock about 40% of the time.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjradtech View Post

Like you we have a 30 amp trailer. It is easily overloaded on a hot day with the a/c running a lot.
    We had a problem using the microwave (big energy user) while running a/c and the compressor came on.
    The soft start eliminated overload and since you are in South Georgia you will be using a lot of a/c.
    Hope this helps:
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this device anything more than a start capacitor and a Mars (start relay) sized correctly for the compressor that is connected into the common, start, run connections? Simply like the hard start kits we see in residential condensers similar to https://www.supplyhouse.com/5-2-1-Co...-Ton-A-C-Units
    Last edited by masterdrago; 03-09-2022 at 08:17 PM.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
    Is this device anything more than a start capacitor and a Mars (start relay) sized correctly for the compressor that is connected into the common, start, run connections? Simply like the hard start kits we see in residential condensers similar to https://www.supplyhouse.com/5-2-1-Co...-Ton-A-C-Units
    No, the EasyStart is an electronic controller that digitally ramps up the current then the AC unit controller says it is kicking on the compressor.

The hard start capacitor and relay you are talking about still kicks the compressor with an in rush of current when the capacitor is released. It is true that the hard start capacitor and relay reduces the amperage that is used by the compressor on starting each cycle, but the EasyStart really reduces the total amount required by the compressor when it starts at the beginning of each cycle.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    No, the EasyStart is an electronic controller that digitally ramps up the current then the AC unit controller says it is kicking on the compressor.

The hard start capacitor and relay you are talking about still kicks the compressor with an in rush of current when the capacitor is released. It is true that the hard start capacitor and relay reduces the amperage that is used by the compressor on starting each cycle, but the EasyStart really reduces the total amount required by the compressor when it starts at the beginning of each cycle.

Hence the giant disparity in price, correct? I do know that a hard start kit on my very old, inefficient home central A/C makes a massive difference in start current during that 1/2 second start up.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
    Hence the giant disparity in price, correct? I do know that a hard start kit on my very old, inefficient home central A/C makes a massive difference in start current during that 1/2 second start up.
    That is correct. A hard start capacitor and relay will bring down the required starting amps by a theoretical 25% where the EasyStart will reduce the required starting amps by a theoretical 50% or more, depending on several environmental factors. Please keep in mind these percentages are theoretical averages. Overall, a 25% reduction in amperage did not equate to a 25% reduction in electric cost over time. Nor does it equate to a 25% longer life expectancy for the AC unit; the same goes for the EasyStart. Overall, the EasyStart does give you the most ROI over time though, if boondocking with solar or running a 50 amp trailer on a 30, 20 or 15 amp service.

Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast