User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Momentum cowling warps

I'm at the last few days on my warranty for our 2021 328 G Momentum. The aluminum cowling on the driver's side rear of the rig pulls away from the fiberglass wall. Took me almost a year to have a dealer repair the problem. Got the trailer back a few days ago and headed from Minnesota to Texas. Now in Brownsville for about a week, and it's been raining or cloudy almost every day. Today we had a warm sunny afternoon. The warping has returned. I'm concerned this could be a design flaw or build problem. Anyone else out there having this problem?

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pictures?

Full Timing Family in a 2021 Momentum 395MS-R, towed by our
    2021 Ford F450 King Ranch

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem is the dealer simply put it back exactly as it was. Long lengths need to be seamed to better accommodate expansion and contraction.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Texas.Yankee View Post
    Pictures?

Just looked at a video of your Momentum. Same spacing on screws as my warped one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20220129_150711.jpg   20220129_151035.jpg  

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by totrecal View Post
    Just looked at a video of your Momentum. Same spacing on screws as my warped one.
    So I looked at mine, and I have a trim piece laid over the lip. The lip is screwed through the panel all around. It's not exposed like yours to where it can warp, such as yours. I am not sure if that's a design difference between our models?

I will try and grab photos today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Texas.Yankee View Post
    So I looked at mine, and I have a trim piece laid over the lip. The lip is screwed through the panel all around. It's not exposed like yours to where it can warp, such as yours. I am not sure if that's a design difference between our models?

I will try and grab photos today.

Just got off the phone with GD customer service. They are asking me to find another dealer to repair the problem. Dealer that did the repair said construction under the cowling looked unusual. Lots of extra screws under there. GD says I need to try three dealers for a fix. Then they'll take it at their factory for repair.

Video I watched on your rig was pretty impressive. Looks like you need the F450 to pull it. I've got an F350 pulling mine.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I have the same problem, Mine actually popped the head off the aluminum screw. Thats my next project
    Mine is a 2020.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guess it's the nature of the RV industry these days. Grand Design should know they've got a design flaw and fix it. The eventual solution for my problem was more screws on the belt line (molding at the top of the "J panel"). Took months, almost a full year, to get the final solution that I could have accomplished myself in a few minutes. I never liked warranties, because they take forever to get done; and often don't really solve the problem. I never owned a new rig before. I never will again.