User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @traveldawg

Not sure this will work any better if I can't find the ground/negative for the lights... I have the hot isolated and if I can find the ground, the dimmer I have should work

Rick

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toy4Rick View Post
    @traveldawg

Not sure this will work any better if I can't find the ground/negative for the lights... I have the hot isolated and if I can find the ground, the dimmer I have should work

Rick
    I believe the issue comes from using a low-side dimmer (negative) and GD using a widely-accepted common ground. In order to dim these lights, my understanding is that you must use a high-side dimmer (positive).

I used high-side dimmers for main and awning lights and was able to use the ground on the One Control control box for the switch.

It can be done (mine dim), but you must use appropriate parts.

Hope this is helpful.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    James and Dawn
    2019 F150 SCREW 3.5EB 6.5' - Haloview MC7109; Cooper AT3 LTX; Sumo Springs; ProPride WDH

2021 Imagine 2400BH - GY Endurance 225/75-15; MORryde CRE3000, HD shackles and wet bolts, X-factor crossmembers

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toy4Rick View Post
    @traveldawg

Rick
    I think the dimmer I suggested doesn't care if it is the ground for the lights or just any common ground.

What dimmer are you wanting to use? How many wires on it? If 4 then you do have to find the ground for the lights. If not then I expect any ground would work.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for the delay, got busy

My preference is the RF low side dimmer but I don't have a common ground at the Control Unit. I tried to use the ground lug but that didn't work

Not sure if there is a common ground behind the Compass Connect, need to look but so far haven't been able to get the trim off and I don't want to break it, any tips there would be great

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No dice using the remote dimmer on the main ceiling of our 2022 3100RD. The control panel will not wake up with the dimmer in the circuit. Oddly, when I tried to determine which two wires were the main feed to the ceiling circuit I got to a point where only one light was on, so I knew I was at the start of the circuit feeding the rest of the lights. But the wall control panel went to sleep and would not wake up again. I tried disconnecting the battery ( no shore power) but when reconnected the light came back on and the panel still would not wake. So I restored everything without the dimmer and everything worked normally.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    No dice using the remote dimmer on the main ceiling of our 2022 3100RD. The control panel will not wake up with the dimmer in the circuit. Oddly, when I tried to determine which two wires were the main feed to the ceiling circuit I got to a point where only one light was on, so I knew I was at the start of the circuit feeding the rest of the lights. But the wall control panel went to sleep and would not wake up again. I tried disconnecting the battery ( no shore power) but when reconnected the light came back on and the panel still would not wake. So I restored everything without the dimmer and everything worked normally.
    The dimmer must be wired into the OneControl Controller located behind a panel in the front storage area and not the control board inside.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tonywelle View Post
    The dimmer must be wired into the OneControl Controller located behind a panel in the front storage area and not the control board inside.
    It was on the output of the controller, just not right where it’s mounted under the bathroom sink, instead where the output wires join the pucks in the ceiling.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the benefit of others trying to use the remote dimmer, my One Control’s control board is 2020107939. I can’t know for certain, but think the latch circuit is solid state so is incompatible with a solid state dimmer, which is what the remote dimmer is. It apparently only works with the mechanical type rotary dimmer. The remote solid state dimmer does work with mechanical rocker switches of the sort used in some coaches without One Control.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if this helps, but I also have a 2500RL 2023 model and the controller is above the sink in a hidden compartment in the corner. Here's how I was able to a dimmer to the six ceiling lights. Note: I claim no responsibility here, just saying the following worked for my rig.

First, you need a 12V Dimmer Switch, 12V 5A 60W, I used this one at Amazon.

Next you'll need wire to extend the dimmer from the LIPPERT X180T Connect (your model may vary and your wiring may not be exactly the same) to wherever you opt to install that. I put it by the controller panel at the back door. I used 18 gauge wire at the suggestion of another site given the current draw from the LED lights. We'll extend it out to the final mount location later, for now we'll work right near the controller.

TURN OFF POWER TO THE RIG - both the shore power and batteries need to be disconnected. The controller, if shorted costs $600 USD to replace.

Find your controller and you'll likely notice no labeling in terms of the wiring. On the lower left side you'll see the power connections, this is 12v in from your trailer batteries or shore power. Make a note of the ground connection location. The ground will run to the white wire on the dimmer (suggested model above).

Next, we'll find the overhead light power and that for the X180T controller was alongside the awning lights at the top right of the controller:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lights X180T.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	863.5 KB 
ID:	49681

I pulled a light from the ceiling and found the brown wire was feeding the lights power. So, in my case the top wire which is brown in the picture. Before I did anything I tested this with a multimeter and turned the ceiling lights on and off (also tested the awning as the second wire and confirmed that for a future project). The multimeter attaches to ground from the first step and + to the brown wire. Yes, I did restore battery power for testing the wire location and TURNED IT OFF RIGHT AFTER.

Unscrew the brown wire and connect the dimmer red wire
    Connect the dimmer black wire to ground.

Make sure the dimmer is turned off to start.

Check all of the above, then connect the batteries to restore power in the rig.

Now, go to the control panel and turn the ceiling lights on. They should not come on because the dimmer is off.

Turn the dimmer on and watch the lights increase in brightness. You now have the dimmer working!

Disconnect power again to move the dimmer to where you'd like it mounted.

Next, find a suitable place for the dimmer. I put mine on the right next to the panel. This is where the TV is mounted and there's a cavity behind you can fish the 18 gauge wire through. I'll leave the woodworking and mounting to you, but it could be helpful to pull the controller and/or the radio/audio hub out to gain access to the back side cavity. Extend the 18 gauge wire from the controller to the dimmer and ensure you have the right wires connected. Double check your wiring and mount the dimmer.

Repeat the test by turning the ceiling lights on via the panel, then adjust the dimmer as desired.

Good luck, I'll try to answer questions as best I can here in the form, hopefully this provides enough info and clues to successfully install your dimmer as well.

mod edit: release from moderation (our hold bucket) as I reviewed it and the link is OK. New users with few posts who include links in their posts go into moderation until one of us moderators can review it to be sure it isn't harmful or spam. This post is OK.
    Last edited by traveldawg; 02-14-2024 at 03:04 PM. Reason: released from moderation after reviewing the post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12