User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Dealer installed the lithium batteries but I feel compelled to have a good look at everything they installed including cable connections. They put the batteries in the stock battery boxes, but the lithiums are much taller so they just set the cap on top with the vent tubes still running in and about a two inch gap all the way around between the lower part and upper cap. I could see possibly closing that gap for heat purposes in the winter but I didn't order the heated batteries figuring I'd order the original blankets if needed. Have to replace the converter and install the shunt myself, but I think I'd rather. Is there really any need for the top half of the boxes?
    Thanks,
    John
    No. No reason for the bottoms either.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going to do a bit of re-configuring.......
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going to do a bit of re-configuring.......
    Remember, those batteries can be mounted in any position. Just be careful not to let the terminals short
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the top caps were just sitting there, is there anything securing the batteries? You should at least have a strap or something to prevent them bouncing around.
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post
    If the top caps were just sitting there, is there anything securing the batteries? You should at least have a strap or something to prevent them bouncing around.
    Looks like they mounted the bases. The tops are loose and waiting to cut cable insulation. They are coming off. Picture below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	battery install.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	39798
    Robin & John
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like they mounted the bases. The tops are loose and waiting to cut cable insulation.
    That looks less than ideal.

Here's what I did for a point of reference. There's provision to add a third battery later if we want to. . . .

Name:	Batt.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	39800
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's what I did for a point of reference. There's provision to add a third battery later if we want to. . . .
    Nice. Yes, battery install is poor on ours.
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like they mounted the bases. The tops are loose and waiting to cut cable insulation. They are coming off. Picture below.

Name:	battery install.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	39798
    Ya, take those off before they do any harm. None are required. Got to love dealer work.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

May I ask where you sourced some of your parts, particularly the angle iron (I'm assuming it's aluminum)? I was trying to find parts locally but that seems like a lost cause except that I have a shop that will make cables for me. Physically locating bus bars and routing cables is proving challenging due to the factory inverter positive that comes straight down over the junction block to the left of your on/off switch which is where my Jaboni charge controller is. I have plenty of room above the Jaboni for both positive and negative bus bars - trying to collect the necessary items. I'm also thinking I might need two on/off switches - one for the solar panel which in daylight is always trying to charge something and another that disconnects everything from the battery.

Name:	battery compartment.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	39990

Thanks,
    John
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May I ask where you sourced some of your parts, particularly the angle iron (I'm assuming it's aluminum)? I was trying to find parts locally but that seems like a lost cause except that I have a shop that will make cables for me. Physically locating bus bars and routing cables is proving challenging due to the factory inverter positive that comes straight down over the junction block to the left of your on/off switch which is where my Jaboni charge controller is. I have plenty of room above the Jaboni for both positive and negative bus bars - trying to collect the necessary items. I'm also thinking I might need two on/off switches - one for the solar panel which in daylight is always trying to charge something and another that disconnects everything from the battery.

Name:	battery compartment.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	39990

Thanks,
    John
    Do you have a Home Depot (or similar) near you? Home Depot will sell aluminum angle and even a lot of the wire/cable. I've seen all the way up to solid copper 2/0.

Auto parts stores (Auto Zone) should have a lot of the terminal connector.

Bus bars and some specific components will be more difficult. The best bet is e-commerce (Amazon.com is where I sourced 80% of my components).

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast