User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BattleBorns arrived - delivery of 310GKR 2 April - dealer install?

A bit more complicated than the subject line. I ordered two BBs, a Progressive Dynamics Converter Charger, and a Victron 712. So I'm trying to take delivery with the BattleBorns installed as I'll have no use for the Lead Acids. I've bounced the first question below off of BB and shouldn't be a problem but thought I'd ask the same (and a couple of other questions) in the forums. Caveat, we have both factory solar and factory generator.

1) I'd prefer to have the dealer install the BattleBorns but I personally would like to install the PD and Victron as my impression of the dealer is that they have little to no experience with lithiums (so we are equal). Derrick at BB said I could make the drive home from the dealer (30 minutes) with existing WFCO converter/charger without doing any damage to the LiFePO4s but thought I'd check in here as well.

2) On the 310GKR, where is WFCO located and how is that (or not) integrated with the Jaboni Solar charge controller which is up front where the LAs would normally be placed? I've seen conflicting posts - one saying behind the fuse panel, the other behind the wall in the storage area. Haven't taken delivery yet so haven't been able to climb through everything.

3) From a personal preference perspective, where would you place the batteries and mount the Victron? Caveat, I'll probably pull the batteries during winter storage as we've been too close to -10F a couple of times this year and aren't planning any winter camping unless we go south for a period of time - but we are not full-timers - and would plan on a return north during winter.

4) Received the following setup for the Victron from BB and am confused by dropping back the Charged voltage setting since there are multiple charge controllers? My understanding is that the Victron will reset to 100% if I drop the charging voltage to 14.2v or 14.3v is set that way? Does this mean that 14.4v is ideal but not likely reached? I had all the reference manuals but dealer wanted them back for prepping the unit and instructed sales to no longer give the package out pre-delivery.

Most Recent Victron BMV-712 Setup:
    Battery Capacity: Total AH of your bank of batteries
    Charged voltage: 14.4v but note that this # should be about .1 or .2 volts back of what the charging voltage is set to in your charging device
    Discharge Floor: 0%
    Tail Current: 2-4% is good
    Charged Detection Time: 3m
    Peukert Exponent: 1.05
    Charge Efficiency Factor: 99%
    Current threshold: 0.10A
    Time to go averaging period 3m
    Battery Starts Synchronized: blue button should be to the right
    State of Charge: leave alone
    Synchronize SOC to 100%: Leave alone, this device will sync itself at the top of the charge
    Zero Current Calibration: Leave alone

5) Dumbest set of questions next - When hooked to the TV, I'm assuming an additional charge source while running? If so, does that go through the WFCO/PD? Trip planned for May and we will be staying at a couple of Harvest Hosts locations with no electric. Disconnect the TV to insure start up in the AM as usage rates TBD for us?

TIA,
    John
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd prefer to have the dealer install the BattleBorns
    FYI, although it was a while ago, when I was considering swapping out my pin box, the service guy at Campers Inn said they wouldn’t install anything unless it was purchased from them. Not sure if that applied to batteries but you might want to verify that’s an option for you.

I ended up selling my LA batteries in Craigslist.
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post
    FYI, although it was a while ago, when I was considering swapping out my pin box, the service guy at Campers Inn said they wouldn’t install anything unless it was purchased from them. Not sure if that applied to batteries but you might want to verify that’s an option for you.

I ended up selling my LA batteries in Craigslist.
    Well, that maybe the route I have to go, but this has been on the table since day one order. Discussed with parts mgr (who would like to stock them as an option) and the service mgr with a cost reduction on the sales price with sales. TBD I guess.
    Robin & John
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO just get your rig home and do the mods yourself. I don't trust dealers work any longer. You could always drop 1 BB in place of the LA and tell the dealer to keep it and reimburse you if you can.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    IMHO just get your rig home and do the mods yourself. I don't trust dealers work any longer. You could always drop 1 BB in place of the LA and tell the dealer to keep it and reimburse you if you can.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    That's my plan. We'll see if they go for it.
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take 1 battery with you and connect yourself in a few minutes to make sure your breakaway has power. Get home, disconnect till you mod it
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would also recommend doing it yourself. You'll learn some things along the way, you have a great resource here if you need help, and the best part is if any of it needs troubleshooting down the road, you will be familiar with the wiring setup.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The converter will be the most difficult thing to install. If I were to have the dealer attempt to do anything, it would be that. But they will charge for it, most likely. It's not hard, just tedious.

If your dealer is including the lead batteries in the purchase, take the rig home, swap out the batteries, and sell them for some extra cash.

Full Timing Family in a 2021 Momentum 395MS-R, towed by our
    2021 Ford F450 King Ranch

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    I would also recommend doing it yourself. You'll learn some things along the way, you have a great resource here if you need help, and the best part is if any of it needs troubleshooting down the road, you will be familiar with the wiring setup.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    This forum has already proved invaluable. Once I get it home, I'll be tapping the knowledgeable folks here even more.
    I didn't know quite where to put the original post since some questions were 310 specific (maybe), some were electrical, and some bordered on solar and lithium tends to be lumped in a lot with that.
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Texas.Yankee View Post
    The converter will be the most difficult thing to install. If I were to have the dealer attempt to do anything, it would be that. But they will charge for it, most likely. It's not hard, just tedious.
    Where is the converter typically located? I've seen two answers on threads.
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast