User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Full time and solar tax credits

Anyone full timing and able to get the credit? When doing my taxes this year it specifically asked if I installed solar at my residence. Since I have a "box number" for a residence I did not pursue.

Additionally my second question is............. can I do a conversion from a regular IRA to Roth IRA in order to take advantage of the credit?
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)
    720w solar, 100/50 Victron scc

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim,

I thought I remembered a thread on this and did a search. There is a short discussion here (with a couple of affirmative answers) and a link with more information:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...769#post111769

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would you seek tax advice on an RV forum.? I suggest that you contact a CPA who can provide you with accurate tax advice.
    John & Cindy
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS
    2018 Ford F250 6.7 PSD

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob. Will look at link.
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnww View Post
    Why would you seek tax advice on an RV forum.? I suggest that you contact a CPA who can provide you with accurate tax advice.
    Just looking to see who may have already blazed the trail. Besides we could have 100 members who were CPAs.
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnww View Post
    This would be my first place to ask. Next would be a call to the IRS. You probably would get more accurate info here vs the IRS.

When looking for info on federal tax credit for my EV I went to an EV forum. Now that I’ve claimed the credit 4 times for $30,000 in tax savings I can provide first hand knowledge to others.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jims94vmx View Post
    Just looking to see who may have already blazed the trail. Besides we could have 100 members who were CPAs.

I am a member who has been a practicing CPA for 40 years.
    Yes, you can claim the solar tax credits for your RV as it is your primary or second residence. Your box number is not your residence.

Any unused solar credit does carry over to the future until used up. You could convert from a traditional IRA to Roth IRA to create enough income to use up the solar credit but it would be in 2022 not retroactive.

JeffofBoise

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffOfBoise View Post
    I am a member who has been a practicing CPA for 40 years.
    Yes, you can claim the solar tax credits for your RV as it is your primary or second residence. Your box number is not your residence.

Any unused solar credit does carry over to the future until used up. You could convert from a traditional IRA to Roth IRA to create enough income to use up the solar credit but it would be in 2022 not retroactive.

JeffofBoise
    Is there any different documentation or procedure for claiming a RV solar system tax credit?
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    Is there any different documentation or procedure for claiming a RV solar system tax credit?
    There isn't any difference. An RV with permanent, eating, sleeping and bathroom facilities can be a residence and the solar credit is actually called the Residential Energy Credit.

JeffofBoise

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apologies for reviving a months-old thread but I'm hunting for similar info. I know the Residential Energy Credit applies to new home construction, and I've read of homeowners having trouble getting an estimate of equipment and labor costs from their builder. They've had to price out the system themselves in order to complete the REC form.

I'm wondering if the same logic could be applied to new RVs with included solar energy systems, and how you'd go about estimating in a way that satisfied the tax man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast