User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Condensation in trailer when cold weather camping

Hi all,

We are out for our first trial weekend in our brand new Transcend 297QB and I have noticed some condensation/ water along the inside of the trailer, where the roof meets the walls. At first I thought it was just around the slide, but it’s the entire trailer, except the bunkhouse. I assume that would be because the furnace lives under the bunks and most of the heat is generated there.

My question is, is this normal?? There is enough water that it’s running down the walls. I’ve owned a few trailers and have never seen this before. We have only had it for a week. All input appreciated, thanks!

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum. Was it cold outside? Any cooking going on or using the shower?

In cold weather camping, the roof vent really needs to be cracked with all the humidity, or run a dehumidifier. Cooking, showering, etc. adds moisture to the air, its especially obvious when it's cold outside.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The furnace has nothing to do with humidity inside the trailer - the combustion chamber is vented outside. If the bunkhouse wasn't heated, there is much less temperature differential between inside and outside, explaining the lack of condensation there.

In addition to the sources mentioned by @FT4NOW, people put out a lot of water vapor while breathing. Venting, and especially a dehumidifier, are the only ways to deal with it. Run the exhaust fan after you shower until the condensation on the bathroom mirror is gone. Run the kitchen vent while using the cooktop or the oven (the byproducts of open-flame propane combustion are carbon dioxide and water).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Run a dehumidifier.

Tim
    Tim
    2020 Reflection 320MKS, Sidewinder Hitch
    2003 2500HD Silverado Duramax, Sumo springs, Hawk Brake Pads

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second the dehumidifier. We have one that is always on when the camper is at the house. We don't take it with us when it's warm but definitely take when it's cold out.
    2021 Reflection 340RDS
    2022 Ram 3500 Big Horn/CCSB//4X4/SRW/HEMI/4:10
    2019 Imagine 2250RK~Sold

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We also experience the same when cold weather camping. We do what has already been mentioned. Cracked vents, dehumidifier...

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies! It’s been totally fine today. I wonder if it was just getting setup and the heat on too late in the day, as it was already getting chilly.

There are 4 of us and a dog in here, so yes all the breathing would definitely contribute.

We have run the overhead unit on dry mode (dehumidify) which is a great new feature, as well as cracked a couple of the roof vents. So far so good!

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=JNel182;414597]Thanks for the replies! It’s been totally fine today. I wonder if it was just getting setup and the heat on too late in the day, as it was already getting chilly.

There are 4 of us and a dog in here, so yes all the breathing would definitely contribute.

We have run the overhead unit on dry mode (dehumidify) which is a great new feature, as well as cracked a couple of the roof vents. So far so good!

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

It is a problem with all RVs in the cold weather, regardless of the "Polar Package" sales pitch. They are not build for temperatures in the teens and below. You will get condensation on the windows, in the corners where the sidewall meets the end caps and inside the cabinets, anywhere were cold meets warm. The only ways to mitigate this is to try to eliminate the "cold" by insulation or sealing air infiltration (which is tough) and reduce the moisture that can condense on the cold surface.

Tim
    Tim
    2020 Reflection 320MKS, Sidewinder Hitch
    2003 2500HD Silverado Duramax, Sumo springs, Hawk Brake Pads