User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We got the 2970RL & Love it. We had not an f150, but Ram 1500 that was supposed to be able to tow 10200#. Hubby tried it twice. On the second trip out, I got him to go across the CAT scales. We were over on Payload/Pin/Hitch weight - Rear axles were overloaded by about 400# and we didn't have water in it. I talked him into & am still paying for the 2500 we upgraded to, and WE are much happier and feel much more able to handle the camper better. We would highly recommend, just get a ¾ to 1t truck and then get the right trailer for you! (part of the 2x truck gang)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip94ta View Post
    I think it’s too much trailer for the F150. Many folks post the same question with the 2800BH. It’s almost a monthly post on here, “can my F150 tow a….”

I think an honest limit for the F150 is a 30ft Imagine. I own one, it puts 900lbs on the hitch. If you are comfortable with all passengers, cargo and 900lb hitch weight not exceeding your payload then that is the right sized trailer for you. The 32ft Imagines put 1000-1200lbs on the tongue and most say the F150 feels nervous with that load. Now you are asking about a 34ft? That’s just too much in my humble opinion. A 5500lb truck will be blown all over the place by a 8000lb plus travel trailer.

Ford and the other manufacturers love their crazy tow ratings for marketing but really that’s them towing a load of steel on a flatbed trailer to achieve the ratings. The frontal area and box like nature of a large travel trailer is a completely different animal with wind and passing vehicles causing lots of stability issues.
    Amen and second on what Flip94a said.
    Jeff & Ally
    Started in Colorado Springs, Nov 2020 - full-timers
    Navy CPO ISC (SW/AW)
    RVIA Certified Tech (L1)
    2019 Grand Design - Solitude 377MBS
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax/Allison Standard Bed SRW

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in a similar situation.

I ordered a 2022 Ram 1500, 5.7L eTorque engine, 3.92, air suspension etc. Ram claims it will tow 12,500, which I find hard to believe.

I also ordered a 2022 Imagine 2670MK. Just under 7,000 lbs. empty and gross weight of 8,500. Both should be here in early March.

I sure hope I have enough truck.
    Rob
    North GA

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We pulled our 2970 with a f150 and we were over weight on payload, and probably rear axle. I added air bags and Helwig rear bar but just not enough truck. Local camping trips weren’t too bad, but one trip in the Appalachian mountains and we knew a F250 would be necessary.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityBear View Post
    I am in a similar situation.

I ordered a 2022 Ram 1500, 5.7L eTorque engine, 3.92, air suspension etc. Ram claims it will tow 12,500, which I find hard to believe.

I also ordered a 2022 Imagine 2670MK. Just under 7,000 lbs. empty and gross weight of 8,500. Both should be here in early March.

I sure hope I have enough truck.

Speaking from experience with a slightly smaller trailer.
    The problem is not towing, wind, trucks passing and especially emergency braking is where
    the problem arises. A very good WDH is essential, we use the Propride.
    Your truck will not enjoy Mont Eagle north of Chattanooga.
    Going up your engine will strain to maintain speed, going down your brakes will suffer.

When we started, we were camping close to home and using 2 lane roads, our Ram 1500
    had no problems at all with the good WDH. Speed about 55 occasional truck coming head on, no problem.
    Braking was good because we were driving slower and fewer idiots. Once we ventured onto the Expressways
    everything changed to the negatives already mentioned.
    Good Luck:
    Bob A.
    Last edited by attaboy; 02-14-2022 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Clarification
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well.....Guess I will be the huckleberry for the weight police lol. I have that exact set up. (see sig) First off, I have many years with a variety if pull trailers, 5th wheels and class A motorhome, plus being a former owner operator hauling produce, chemicals and sand and gravel, whatever all over the us and Canada. Now having thrown out my bonafides, here is the deal. I have pulled this unit over 8,000 miles since I bought it new last year and not had any problems. Would a 3/4 ton or bigger help? Probably, but I have pulled this unit everywhere from Colorado to California and the across Arizona to Arkansas and back to Colorado. Hills are no concern for the twin turbo 3.5. Downhill is as hard as you want to make it. Take it slow and use the tow haul feature and let the trans and downhill braking work for you. We are full timing since retiring last year and spending the winter in Arizona. Will be heading across Texas to our fishing ground in Arkansas in April. Last weigh in before leaving Colorado in November was right at limits but no issues with hills or braking.
    I am using an EQ4 hitch and it works. You are going to notice wind and truck wash, but coming from the trucking industry, you get that in semi's as well.
    I will say this, if you are uncomfortable with pulling it, don't. There are a lot of people out there pulling stuff for the first time and with no or very little experience, so don't be that guy. Good luck on your decision, be safe.
    2019 F150 4x4 screw sb with max towing
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    2 many former rigs to list.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess the confusion (and concern) for me is the Ram dealer is telling me one thing and some of the feedback here suggests I may experience issues towing the Imagine 2670 with a half ton truck (supposedly rated at 12,500 towing capacity).
    Rob
    North GA

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess the confusion (and concern) for me is the Ram dealer is telling me one thing and some of the feedback here suggests I may experience issues towing the Imagine 2670 with a half ton truck (supposedly rated at 12,500 towing capacity).
    If I were you I'd get a Pro Pride WDH for that 2670. Most all of the heavy stuff will be in the rear of the TT. Dry TW (690) is barely 10% and could be barely 10% or less when loaded. Dry weight will be around 7300lbs delivered and loaded around 8300 lbs. An 8300lb TT needs a TW around 1030 lbs. Not sure what your payload on the truck will be or how much stuff you'll load but it looks iffy to me.
    JMO but any TT over 7,000 loaded is 3/4 ton territory. 8300lbs is really pushing the average 1/2 ton truck.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dealer only wants to sell, and hey, the brochure says you can do it (not really). Most salesman have no understanding the actual dynamics of towing. Most have never towed anything beyond a Uhaul trailer. When I bought my truck several years ago, I was asking about the payload, they all quoted the brochure. I asked about the actual sticker payload, and none of the ones I was dealing with knew about it, and I had to explain and direct them where to look. Had them even send me a picture of the sticker. Guy that I did buy my truck from, actually admitted he had no idea about payload with a trailer.

One of the towing abilities is determined using a flatbed trailer with weights on it. Vastly different then a billboard that you will be towing, although Ford does have a limitation on the frontal area of a trailer being towed that most people do not know about. People here are giving you the no nonsense numbers.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2970RL and love it. We started pulling with our F150 3.7 turbo since we had upgraded our trailer. After a couple of outings I discovered this truck just was not adequate. I could only pull slow and trucks would push me around when they passed me. Hills were a killer. Took me a long time to find one but I was able to get an F250 6.7 diesel super duty. If you can work it in your budget try to upgrade.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast