User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely sounds like I need more truck or less trailer. I guess I got caught up in the “towing capacity” B.S. from Ram and the dealer.
    Rob
    North GA

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityBear View Post
    I guess the confusion (and concern) for me is the Ram dealer is telling me one thing and some of the feedback here suggests I may experience issues towing the Imagine 2670 with a half ton truck (supposedly rated at 12,500 towing capacity).
    Trusting a dealer's (aka sales person working off of commission) word is like trusting politician's motive. Lol
    Look at the fine prints of those brochures. Go on the Ram's forum and ask for the real life tow numbers of people that have the same truck equipped the way you want. Then punch those number along with the TT on here and judge by yourself.
    https://changingears.com/weight-calc...ht-calculator/
    I was also green when I first started. Boy was it an eye opener.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely sounds like I need more truck or less trailer. I guess I got caught up in the “towing capacity” B.S. from Ram and the dealer.
    The towing capacity is fine if you are towing a tractor on a flat bed trailer. It's all that surface area on the sides that catches wind. We had a new F150 in 2017 and pulled a 2400BH with an Equalizer hitch. Worked fine on two lane roads. Not so much on the interstate. Then debated between F250 and F350 (diesel either way). Since both trucks ride pretty much the same, we got the F350. Glad we did, because a couple of years later we upgraded to a 31MB.
    2021 GD 31MB; 2022 F350 Rapid Red, Lariat Ultimate Package, CCSB, 4x4, 6.7 Powerstroke, B&W 20K Patriot slider

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hitch that truck up to a flatbed trailer and load some pallets of steel plates and set them so you have a 10%-12% Tw and I bet you could tow 9,000+lbs and be fine.
    There's something about an 11' x 8' x 30'+ TT that derates tow ratings.

I tow a 31' 9500lb TT with a CC LB 3500 diesel truck and I still know it's back there. More times than I like. I have a Blue Ox 2000lb WDH and I don't think it's very effective. I'll be switching to something else this season.
    Everything I have is pretty stout. 5200lb TT axles, 16" tires and shocks. TT's not a "Lite" version, hence the 3500. Although a 2500 would work too.
    the side of a TT is a big wind magnet. Even with my 14% TW the TT still gets shoved around. It's nice to have a big heavy truck as I don't have to two fist the steering wheel all day long. Only once in a while.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in a similar situation.

I ordered a 2022 Ram 1500, 5.7L eTorque engine, 3.92, air suspension etc. Ram claims it will tow 12,500, which I find hard to believe.

I also ordered a 2022 Imagine 2670MK. Just under 7,000 lbs. empty and gross weight of 8,500. Both should be here in early March.

I sure hope I have enough truck.
    I had a 2017 Ram Bighorn CC Hemi and was pulling a 30 ft overall, 6550 LB (per the CAT scale) 2600RB.
    It had plenty of power, and stopped fine.
    However, the truck was over payload and over the GCWR and that was loaded only for a 4-night trip.
    I got sucked in and pushed pretty good by semis and some SUVs. Even with the WD/sway control hitch and better tires on the rear of the truck.
    Now with the same trailer and a 2500 and the same hitch, no issues with semis passing, and I have plenty of payload left over, and I'm nowhere near the GCWR.
    Hope this helps your dilemna.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the exact setup that you now have in 2019. My F-150 with the 3.5 TT EcoBoost had enough torque and HP to pull the Imagine but the weight of the truck was just too light to handle the pull in any kind of crosswind. I also had the Hensley hitch and it didn't help in this situation. I upgraded my truck to the F-250 Super Duty with the 6.7L Diesel and man what a difference! So you can do it, but be aware of the crosswind component and it's impact on the trailer and truck combined.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2021 2970RL that we tow with a 2019 Ram 1500 classic 4x4 crew cab with 5.7 V8 HEMI. Guess this is one of those questions of just because you can doesn't mean you should. We have a weight distribution hitch and have very minimal sway. What we do have however is a sagging rear that I just bought Timbren heavy duty bump stops I will put on before next trip. Several times the front tires had slipped due to excessive weight in the rear axle and the front being lighter. We have pulled the 2970RL all over the north Georgia mountains where the climbs are short compared to out west. The truck handles this environment well but were I to go out west I would rent a larger truck/ diesel.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly2307 View Post
    We have been shopping for rv's and have decided we like the 2970RL the best of all we have looked at. The 2970RL is about 7300lbs dry weight. I have an F150 SuperCrew with 3.5 twin turbo and max towing package. The vehicle is rated at max towing capacity of 11,300. This trailer is well within the limits of this vehicle. With that said I'm see all kids of posts saying don't do it. The trailer is too long and sway is a problem in cross winds. Also, that this vehicle is going have problems in the mountains. Is there anyone in this forum towing this trailer with a simular vehicle who is happy with this set up? If this is just too much trailer for this truck we will just have to go back and start looking again. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
    [The general rule is to not exceed 80% of the truck's towing limits. 3/4 ton would be recommended; stronger suspension and, above all, stronger breaks; I have towed 10,000 #'s in the mountains and I can assure you that strong truck breaks are critical; yes, the trailer has breaks but you need to break with confidence.]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in a similar situation.

I ordered a 2022 Ram 1500, 5.7L eTorque engine, 3.92, air suspension etc. Ram claims it will tow 12,500, which I find hard to believe.

I also ordered a 2022 Imagine 2670MK. Just under 7,000 lbs. empty and gross weight of 8,500. Both should be here in early March.

I sure hope I have enough truck.
    Be sure and check what the payload is on the truck, and all those other max loads.
    1st 5er- 2006 titanium 32/37. current 5er-2021 Solitude 310GKR
    1st camper-2001 Lance slide in
    1st truck-2001 chevy silverado 2500 HD 8.1 vortec-Allison trans. current truck-2011 chevy silverado HD duramax, allison LTZ

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly2307 View Post
    We have been shopping for rv's and have decided we like the 2970RL the best of all we have looked at. The 2970RL is about 7300lbs dry weight. I have an F150 SuperCrew with 3.5 twin turbo and max towing package. The vehicle is rated at max towing capacity of 11,300. This trailer is well within the limits of this vehicle. With that said I'm see all kids of posts saying don't do it. The trailer is too long and sway is a problem in cross winds. Also, that this vehicle is going have problems in the mountains. Is there anyone in this forum towing this trailer with a simular vehicle who is happy with this set up? If this is just too much trailer for this truck we will just have to go back and start looking again. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Weighing in as a 2015 F-150 EcoBoost owner towing a 245RL (6495lbs/7500lbs, 30 feet), I think it's a little too much trailer for your truck. I'm confident that all the numbers work for my setup, but every time we tow, I start daydreaming about a 250 or better. Haven't had any real problems, but have to admit, I get a little nervous at times. Plenty of power for going up decent grades, but it's the coming back down that's stressful. The tow/haul function keeps the truck under control, but not comfortably for me. RPM's are way high, and I just pray my brakes don't let go. We've done many 8% grades on our trips, and I feel I'm getting too old for that stress. Since I'm shorter and lighter than you, I'm thinking you may experience the same. With all that said, I love my truck, but if I come across a sweet deal on a trade for a beefier truck, I'm all in!
    2020 245RL
    2015 F-150 EcoBoost 3.5
    Centerline WDH

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast