User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grand Design 2970RL Tow Vehicle Question

We have been shopping for rv's and have decided we like the 2970RL the best of all we have looked at. The 2970RL is about 7300lbs dry weight. I have an F150 SuperCrew with 3.5 twin turbo and max towing package. The vehicle is rated at max towing capacity of 11,300. This trailer is well within the limits of this vehicle. With that said I'm see all kids of posts saying don't do it. The trailer is too long and sway is a problem in cross winds. Also, that this vehicle is going have problems in the mountains. Is there anyone in this forum towing this trailer with a simular vehicle who is happy with this set up? If this is just too much trailer for this truck we will just have to go back and start looking again. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know of several forum members pulling the 2970rl but most are using a 3/4 ton truck.
    I hope you find a member using a 1/2 ton.

Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are five things you need to look at.

Payload
    Front and rear axle weight ratings
    Tire loading ratings
    Gross Combined Weight Rating
    Gross Vehicle Weight Rating

The three that matter the most are
    Front and rear axle weight ratings
    Tire Loading
    Gross Vehicle Weight Rating

Your fully loaded rig must fall within the limits of these items.

Actually legally you must meet all five.

Payload: The total amount your truck can have as part if it’s payload (in the cab and bed) pin or hitch weight count as payload

Front and rear axle weight ratings: The total amount that axle can carry.

Tire Loading: The total amount of weight that tire can support at its max air pressure

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating: The total amount your truck can weigh with its payload

Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating: Total weight with your rig hitched up

The rig you have chosen is right at the top edge of the limits for an F150.
    You may want to look into a 250 or 350.

Don’t join the second truck club, it’s an expensive one.

Good Luck with your decision.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We tow a 2970RL with what is technically a half-ton, a 2019 Nissan Titan XD, but I don’t know if I’d compare that directly with an F150. It weighs almost 7000 lbs empty, has 4900 lb axles, and factory load range E tires. We also have used a Hensley hitch since day one. We have zero sway and are well within the truck’s limits, and more importantly it is totally comfortable on the road. No white knuckle stress.

That said, the 2970 is a big, long travel trailer. It can easily put 1150lbs on the hitch, and pass 8000lbs loaded, even more if you carry any fresh water.

Just my opinion, but aren’t F150s fairly light these days? I feel like it might get pushed around pretty badly by a 2970. I definitely wouldn’t do it without a properly set up Hensley or ProPride hitch. You’d likely be the dog being wagged by the tail. I’m thinking it might not be comfortable, even if your numbers are passable.

I’d be happy to send you our CAT scale tickets if you like. It might give you some hard data to work with. PM me your email if you want. But I think your issue might not be the numbers, it’s gonna be the level of comfort you have behind the wheel. Hopefully someone with an F150 will weigh in as well.
    Jeff & Deborah - North Beach, MD
    2019 Grand Design 2970RL "Lucy", Hensley Arrow 14K, Goodyear Endurance Tires
    2019 Nissan Titan XD, 5.6 gas, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 bags

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by attaboy View Post
    I know of several forum members pulling the 2970rl but most are using a 3/4 ton truck.
    I hope you find a member using a 1/2 ton.

Bob A.
    Thanks for the reply. I have not towed a trailer since the lat 1980's. I want to get this right because I don't want to be uncomfortable with whatever I'm towing. I hate to got through the process of trading in my half ton for a 3/4 ton, but it's starting to look like its that or downsize the trailer.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I’ll put my vote in for the 2970 as the “right” trailer. It certainly was for us. The only thing worse than doing the two truck thing would be getting both the truck AND the trailer wrong, lol.
    Jeff & Deborah - North Beach, MD
    2019 Grand Design 2970RL "Lucy", Hensley Arrow 14K, Goodyear Endurance Tires
    2019 Nissan Titan XD, 5.6 gas, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 bags

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it’s too much trailer for the F150. Many folks post the same question with the 2800BH. It’s almost a monthly post on here, “can my F150 tow a….”

I think an honest limit for the F150 is a 30ft Imagine. I own one, it puts 900lbs on the hitch. If you are comfortable with all passengers, cargo and 900lb hitch weight not exceeding your payload then that is the right sized trailer for you. The 32ft Imagines put 1000-1200lbs on the tongue and most say the F150 feels nervous with that load. Now you are asking about a 34ft? That’s just too much in my humble opinion. A 5500lb truck will be blown all over the place by a 8000lb plus travel trailer.

Ford and the other manufacturers love their crazy tow ratings for marketing but really that’s them towing a load of steel on a flatbed trailer to achieve the ratings. The frontal area and box like nature of a large travel trailer is a completely different animal with wind and passing vehicles causing lots of stability issues.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly2307 View Post
    We have been shopping for rv's and have decided we like the 2970RL the best of all we have looked at. The 2970RL is about 7300lbs dry weight. I have an F150 SuperCrew with 3.5 twin turbo and max towing package. The vehicle is rated at max towing capacity of 11,300. This trailer is well within the limits of this vehicle. With that said I'm see all kids of posts saying don't do it. The trailer is too long and sway is a problem in cross winds. Also, that this vehicle is going have problems in the mountains. Is there anyone in this forum towing this trailer with a simular vehicle who is happy with this set up? If this is just too much trailer for this truck we will just have to go back and start looking again. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
    We had that set up two trucks ago. Our F150 had the max tow package, 3.73 gear set, but not the Heavy Duty suspension package. Even towing with a ProPride for sway control and Sumo springs for sag, I felt the F150 suspension was too soft. I towed it ok (no white knuckles) but not great. My RAM 1500 with 3.92 gears and Sumo springs did a much better job, but did not have the payload. We went to a 3/4 T RAM gasser and that did fine towing but not climbing. Based on my personal experience, if I were to go with a 2970RL again, it would be with a 3/4T or 1 T diesel. Best wishes, Frank. (edit) @sande005 tows a 2670MK with an F150 with Heavy Duty suspension. I think he does quite well. Maybe he will chime in.
    Last edited by fmartinmn; 02-13-2022 at 09:07 AM.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly2307 View Post
    I am going to chime in on this one as I towed a Reflection 297RSTS which is the Reflection equivalent of the Imagine 2970RL but about 800 lbs heavier with a 2009 Tundra and a Reese Straightline hitch. I never had any issues towing or stopping the trailer with the Tundra or had any lack of power. I towed the 297RSTS for over 10,000km (6000 miles) too. I did find one time when the cross winds were very strong that the setup would shift over close to the other lane but would not say it was white knuckle towing by any means. I also know that the hitch on the Tundra is much beefer than the hitches on an F150 and has a higher rating as well. If I were you rather than trade the F150 right away try it and see how you feel with it. Get a good WDH with sway control setup properly and see how the setup handles. If you are not happy with it get the bigger truck then. I personally would not even bother with a 250 or 2500 just go right to the 350 or 3500 once and be done.

I did trade up to a 3500 Ram and tow the 297RSTS with that. Plan is to upgrade to 5th wheel before this truck needs to be traded in so that is the only reason why I went with a bigger truck. I still notice heavy cross winds push me around some with this truck too. All to be expected when you pull a 34' sail behind you.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That TT will weigh close to 8500lbs loaded and at 34' long will be a big load for any 1/2 ton. Under ideal conditions it will be just okay. As soon as you hit some winds or are in a panic brake situation is when things will get dicey.
    If you tow in the mtns much then descending will always be a chore.
    Any of the new 3/4 ton gas trucks would be great for that TT. A 3/4 ton diesel would be the best. I tow 31' and 9500lbs and have a 3500 CTD. I came from a 2500 gas and the diesel is sooo much more enjoyable.

Me personally I don't like being in a just get by situation. I like overkill as that makes whatever you're doing easier. Camping's about getting out a traveling and having fun. The last thing you want to do is hate towing. If you get the right setup then you'll find any excuse to get out on the road.

I live in the PNW and travel all kinds of roads from wide open windy desert hwys to steep long grades in the mtns. I realize that a diesel isn't for everyone but if someone's in the mtns and doing a lot more than weekend warrior trips and towing over 8,000lbs a diesel make a huge difference.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast