User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a quick point. If you want to find out what your actual truck can handle payload wise, open your drivers side door and look at the bottom of the door post or whatever the correct name is (I'm having a slight brain fart). You'll see a couple of stickers that will tell you all the weights your vehicle is rated for and it has a sticker that tells you exactly what the payload capacity is for your truck the way it came from the factory. My Tundra not only had the payload from the factory, but it also had a separate sticker that accounted for add ons from the dealer, which of course lowered the total payload number. As it turned out, my available payload wasn't enough to handle cargo and tongue weight. I didn't know this until after I bought the truck so I traded it for a Chevy Silverado AFTER I verified the payload sticker. So what I learned was that no matter what your truck can pull, it won't matter if your truck can't handle the payload. This also goes for your axle weight. Point being, if the numbers don't add up, your asking for a lot of trouble, which could be costly and deadly. Well I guess that wasn't as quick as I thought it would be.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am also looking into getting a 2970RL and towing with my 2022 Silverado 1500. I know I will be at the top end of my capacity, but it looks like everything will fall within the limits.

2022 Silverado:
    GVWR: 7,300
    GCWR: 19,000
    RGAWR: 4,150
    Curb Weight: 5,637
    Max Payload: 1,663
    Conv. TWR: 12,900

2970RL
    UVW: 7,397
    Hitch Weight: 751
    GVWR: 8,995

Also, I would be towing with a ProPride 3P-1400 weight distribution hitch and probably around 10-15 gallons of fresh water.

Anyone with experience with the 2970RL think these numbers will be sufficient?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having been down that road, you are going to be tighter than you think. The number to watch is your Max Payload = 1,663. From that number you'll be subtracting your hitch weight, passengers, anything you want to put in your bed, plus a good portion of what you'll load in the trailer. It will start dropping fast. I took a trip with my wife to some Cat Scales with a full tank of gas, did the math, then decided to trade for a 2500 truck.
    2022 Imagine 2970RL
    2500 RAM Cummins 6.7L

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just my 2 cents worth. Manufacturers are very and I mean VERY conservative with their payload numbers. Imagine the costs of one or more lawsuits if the numbers were truly on the border of safety? Your axle ratings are more important for your load and air suspension adds another layer of shifting your axle load plus a good WDH. I tow a 8000lb trailer with my loaded 2021 Ram Rebel and have 0 issues. Don’t even now it’s there. Plus I haul wood, ebikes etc. no issues with weight. I too was skeptical with my truck. There’s some downsides to a 2500 so do some research. It’s much heavier and doesn’t always improve payload numbers. I became a little more comfortable when I saw a Tesla pull out towing an MT trailer same as mine! 😳🤣🤣

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been towing the 2670MK with Half ton F150 Powerboost. VERY pleased. Anderson WDH, Bilstein shocks, RAS and rear axle sway bar results in zero issues in heavy crosswinds or towing. Granted I don't load the TT heavily either. Will share for the 3/4 ton nazi's I do not do mountains since I'm in the southern US.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2022Silverado View Post
    I am also looking into getting a 2970RL and towing with my 2022 Silverado 1500. I know I will be at the top end of my capacity, but it looks like everything will fall within the limits.

2022 Silverado:
    GVWR: 7,300
    GCWR: 19,000
    RGAWR: 4,150
    Curb Weight: 5,637
    Max Payload: 1,663
    Conv. TWR: 12,900

2970RL
    UVW: 7,397
    Hitch Weight: 751
    GVWR: 8,995

Also, I would be towing with a ProPride 3P-1400 weight distribution hitch and probably around 10-15 gallons of fresh water.

Anyone with experience with the 2970RL think these numbers will be sufficient?
    I'm sure you will end up being over payload, but not by much. Crank those bars up and run extra washers on the tilt pin, then go weigh it. I bet you'll surprise folks here with how close you get.

But a 3/4 ton would be better. I just moved up from a half ton to 3/4 ton in June. I had done everything possible to the half ton to make it a great tow vehicle, but the 3/4 is better from the word go.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uwskier View Post
    I'm sure you will end up being over payload, but not by much. Crank those bars up and run extra washers on the tilt pin, then go weigh it. I bet you'll surprise folks here with how close you get.

But a 3/4 ton would be better. I just moved up from a half ton to 3/4 ton in June. I had done everything possible to the half ton to make it a great tow vehicle, but the 3/4 is better from the word go.
    He will be wayyy over payload
    I have more available payload than his truck and my much smaller 2400 maxes out my truck

But anyway this post is a year old. I would hope he moved on to a more sensible match for his half ton
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456