User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34
  1. #1
    Fireside Member KGoesele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    80
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    12V Batteries Question

    I begin by saying I am a Newbee to owning an RV. The beginning of Winter I removed my Two new 12V batteries and placed them on Two cut 2 x 4s to store in the garage. The weather has warmed up, plus talking to a friend I made the decision to put them back on the RV (New, and we have not taken out yet). Connected them in parallel and turned the Battery Disconnect switch to OFF and unplugged the electricity ⚡️. I then checked the Control Panel, but nothing worked. Are my Two new batteries destroyed by removing them and storing them in the garage? I never purchased a trickle charger for them. Please, any knowledgeable owners in this Forum I need your input. 🥴🥺
    Karl - USMC - DAV 🇺🇸
    2004 Ford F-350 Powerstroke Super-duty 6.0L (Bulletproofed 😁) 202k miles | 2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22 MLE | Trailer Tires: Goodyear Endurance D rated

  2. #2
    Big Traveler
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    Platte City, MO
    Posts
    1,374
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the Battery Disconnect Switch turned to the "OFF" position, you'll get no power from the batteries, except maybe a couple small parasitic draws. The "OFF" position is supposed to disconnect the batteries from the trailer power, it is for storage.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

  3. #3
    Site Sponsor Jerryr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,523
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Karl,

    Thank you for your service from another DAV member. USAF 1966-1970.

    Storing your batteries likely didn’t cause any issues with them.

    You stated after reinstalling and connecting you turned the battery switch off and unplugged electric. After you did that did you turn the battery switch back on?

    Do you have a voltmeter or can you borrow one to see what voltage the batteries are currently reading?
    Jerry & Linda
    With Cleo our Jack Russell & Emma Mini Golden Doodle & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2020 F-350 Lariat Ultimate 4x4 PSD SRW Short Bed, 3483 lb Payload, Factory 5th Wheel Prep, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

  4. #4
    Seasoned Camper
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    The Independant State of Alberta
    Posts
    423
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KGoesele View Post
    I begin by saying I am a Newbee to owning an RV. The beginning of Winter I removed my Two new 12V batteries and placed them on Two cut 2 x 4s to store in the garage. The weather has warmed up, plus talking to a friend I made the decision to put them back on the RV (New, and we have not taken out yet). Connected them in parallel and turned the Battery Disconnect switch to OFF and unplugged the electricity ⚡️. I then checked the Control Panel, but nothing worked. Are my Two new batteries destroyed by removing them and storing them in the garage? I never purchased a trickle charger for them. Please, any knowledgeable owners in this Forum I need your input. ����
    By turning the battery switch to off and disconnecting the shore power you effectively removed all power from the coach. Turn the switch back on and you will have power, the batteries are fine.

  5. #5
    Fireside Member KGoesele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    80
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    With the Battery Disconnect Switch turned to the "OFF" position, you'll get no power from the batteries, except maybe a couple small parasitic draws. The "OFF" position is supposed to disconnect the batteries from the trailer power, it is for storage.
    Thank you! I had it opposite. Titled a Disconnect Switch. I took ON as its disconnected. 🤦**♂️
    Karl - USMC - DAV 🇺🇸
    2004 Ford F-350 Powerstroke Super-duty 6.0L (Bulletproofed 😁) 202k miles | 2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22 MLE | Trailer Tires: Goodyear Endurance D rated

  6. #6
    Fireside Member KGoesele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    80
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    Karl,

    Thank you for your service from another DAV member. USAF 1966-1970.

    Storing your batteries likely didn’t cause any issues with them.

    You stated after reinstalling and connecting you turned the battery switch off and unplugged electric. After you did that did you turn the battery switch back on?

    Do you have a voltmeter or can you borrow one to see what voltage the batteries are currently reading?
    Thank you! My One Control app displays 13.6V. Thanks for your service as well! 💪🏼🇺🇸

  7. #7
    Fireside Member KGoesele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    80
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you! I had turned the switch to ON position when I had removed the batteries thinking that meant it was disconnected, hence the name Disconnect Switch. I guess my Brain is not working the right way. 🤦**♂️

  8. #8
    Big Traveler
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    Platte City, MO
    Posts
    1,374
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, actually a Battery Connect Switch makes more logical sense. "ON" would be on, and "OFF" would be off.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

  9. #9
    Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    on our way to SE Michigan
    Posts
    6,504
    Blog Entries
    19
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The disconnect switch does not turn everything off. The propane detector and several other items will still be powered. These items do put a parasitic draw on the batteries. Do a search for the battery shut off switch. You should find a lot of good reading. Many people have tried doing what you are doing and found their batteries dead in just a week or two.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax Longbed SRW
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/


  10. #10
    Fireside Member KGoesele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    80
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fellow Forum members,

    I turned the Disconnect Switch from OFF to ON and left my 30 Amp cord plugged-in all night. I unplugged the cord this afternoon and went to the Control Panel, and it shows Battery full charge. Thank you for all the assistance and advice!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

DISCLAIMER:This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Grand Design RV, LLC or any of its affiliates. This is an independent site.