User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No headspace at headboard

My wife and I are trailer shopping and have fallen in love with several of the Grand Design floorplans as well as their obvious quality and attention to detail. We found a dealership that had several units in stock and loved them. We were ready to pull the trigger until we laid down on the bed. The slant of the "headboard" is such that the top 6 or 8 inches of the mattress seemed unusable; I'm 6/5 and need every inch that the bed can offer. Has anyone discovered a way to make it feel like your head s wedged up in the front of the trailer?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was also concerned with this on the imagine 2500rl we bought. I had planned to use some foam or something like that to shim between the front of matress and the trailer. -it would not make that area any fmore square but would effectively make the bed longer (at expense of walkway at the foot of the bed). Im 6'6" and we have had the trailer 2 years now and camped probably 120 days or so and i never did the project. Ive been okay with the bed as is. Obviously everyone is different in this regard, and i really thought it was going to be an issue but it wasn't for me.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottshark View Post
    ... The slant of the "headboard" is such that the top 6 or 8 inches of the mattress seemed unusable; I'm 6/5 and need every inch that the bed can offer. Has anyone discovered a way to make it feel like your head s wedged up in the front of the trailer?
    I'm 6'6" and the bed setup is my least favorite thing about the trailer. I'm a bit claustrophobic from just being a big dude, and I feel boxed in by the headboard and cabinet setup. This didn't prevent us from getting the trailer though, just something to deal with and there would probably be a similar issue with any trailer with a front bed. I thought about doing some sort of mattress extension similar to rmcrowe, but did not get to it last year, which was our first year with the trailer. The support structure under the mattress is short too, so moving the mattress down 6-8 inches might require some additional support underneath. Maybe just a piece of plywood that can slide with the mattress would work.
    2021 Imagine 2400BH
    2018 F-150, 3.5EB, 6.5ft bed, Max Tow Pkg, Equalizer 4

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife sleep on the bed backwards a little tough getting up in the middle of the night. We just hang the tablet from the light if we want to watch tv.
    Lot more open feel