User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Furrion AC - Soft Start

Besides the sensor issue (GD will be sending me one) I had heard that the Furrion is wired with a soft start. Can anyone confirm this.

Thanks.
    Pierre & Tara

2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2020 GMC Sierra SLE 1500
    1200/12000 Equalizer Hitch

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrovsky View Post
    Besides the sensor issue (GD will be sending me one) I had heard that the Furrion is wired with a soft start. Can anyone confirm this.

Thanks.
    From etrailer's website...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Soft Start.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	38935
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. They put the 14.5K in my 2600RB. On e-trailer under the unit's description this is what I found,

Start capacitor offers an extra boost to help jump-start the AC when a campsite or generator doesn't provide enough power
    Stores energy that will later be used for the next startup.

Air conditioner power draw (while running): 14.6 amp

Not sure if the start capacitor works like a soft start but storing previous energy is a good idea unless it bleeds out over time.

So as you indicated, the Honda Gen doesn't cut it. However other gens in the 3000 to 3500 range (100lbs) will have no problems running the A/C. Even the 15.5.

Champion 3100W / 3400W Gasoline Powered Portable Recoil Inverter Generator should do just fine. $1500 CAD + 15% sales tax.
    Pierre & Tara

2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2020 GMC Sierra SLE 1500
    1200/12000 Equalizer Hitch

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrovsky View Post
    Thanks. They put the 14.5K in my 2600RB. On e-trailer under the unit's description this is what I found,

Start capacitor offers an extra boost to help jump-start the AC when a campsite or generator doesn't provide enough power
    Stores energy that will later be used for the next startup.

Air conditioner power draw (while running): 14.6 amp

Not sure if the start capacitor works like a soft start but storing previous energy is a good idea unless it bleeds out over time.

So as you indicated, the Honda Gen doesn't cut it. However other gens in the 3000 to 3500 range (100lbs) will have no problems running the A/C. Even the 15.5.

Champion 3100W / 3400W Gasoline Powered Portable Recoil Inverter Generator should do just fine. $1500 CAD + 15% sales tax.
    Well, I just sold my iGen4500DF and have a Champion 2500DF on the way. I really don't want to have to deal with hauling gas. I have read many posts that claim the 2500 will run the Furrion 14.5 AC. Fingers crossed!

The 4500 just got too heavy to load into the back of my pickup. The 2500 only weighs 39 lbs.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    Husky Centerline WDH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same question about the Furrion 14.5k and I bought the Champion 2500DF inverter you mention for the same reason - don’t want to haul gas. While I waited for that to arrive I bought a soft start kit and figured I’d need it.
    Well I decided to try the generator first while at home and it worked! Didn’t have a lot of time to run it as the temperatures here were still a bit cool here a month ago. But I went ahead and returned the softstart to save some money.
    Now that we are preparing to hit the road for our first trip of the year I hooked up the generator to get the 5 hr breakin period done and for the moment it appears to work as long as no other CBs are on except the one for the AC. The AC unit doesn’t make any excess noise when the compressor kicks on and cycles normally just like on shore power. However I flipped the general CB on and found the generator overloaded the next time the AC tried to start. So maybe the softstart would help?
    BTW I love the Champion generator. Light to haul around and not very loud.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZMike View Post
    Well, I just sold my iGen4500DF and have a Champion 2500DF on the way. I really don't want to have to deal with hauling gas. I have read many posts that claim the 2500 will run the Furrion 14.5 AC. Fingers crossed!

The 4500 just got too heavy to load into the back of my pickup. The 2500 only weighs 39 lbs.
    Hauling gas would be easy compared to swapping two 30lb propane bottles per ~24 hours of run time from generator usage alone.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    Hauling gas would be easy compared to swapping two 30lb propane bottles per ~24 hours of run time from generator usage alone.
    I will respectfully disagree, but of course it depends on what you consider "easy". For me, swapping propane bottles is much easier and cleaner than having to deal with gas, which is smelly, subject to spillage (especially if 5 gal jugs are used). What is better and easier for me might not be for you. If I had a 5th wheel with an on board generator then gas would be a no brainier since they usually include a gas tank on board. I have a travel trailer and carry my extra propane in my truck bed.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    Husky Centerline WDH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the furrion does not have a soft start....will not start on a victron multiplus backed by 600amp hours of battery's without tripping the overload

this will be next on my upgrade list
    GMC 2500 HD Gas
    GD Imagine XLS22 MLE

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoredWeasel View Post
    the furrion does not have a soft start....will not start on a victron multiplus backed by 600amp hours of battery's without tripping the overload

this will be next on my upgrade list
    True. In fact, no A/C has a real "soft start" device. They all have soft start capacitors which supplies the extra inrush current needed to start the compressor. True soft start devices "ramp up" the initial startup current.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    Husky Centerline WDH

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZMike View Post
    True. In fact, no A/C has a real "soft start" device. They all have soft start capacitors which supplies the extra inrush current needed to start the compressor. True soft start devices "ramp up" the initial startup current.
    I'd like to add that a Soft Start or EasyStart device DIGITALLY ramps up the current.

A capacitor is like a bucket. It fills up, then when needed, it dumps all the current as if the bucket was turned upside down. The EasyStart device acts like locks in the Suez canal, just at a much, much, much, faster rate. It controls the amperage so the power feed doesn't see that huge outrush of current when the capacitor is empty and is recharging. That rush is what drags down generators so they have a hard time providing the power demand and usually go into shutdown mode.

The EasyStart device modules that current rush so the generator can provide the power necessary to keep everything running.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast