Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roof Concern

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Always Learning View Post
    “Is this cause for concern?” Hard to say from the image. You have had some interesting comments. If it were mine I would start with a conservative approach and not apply any sealants or tapes to it until the problem is more clearly defined. First take lots of pictures of how it looks before you do anything then do a good cleaning with mild soap and water using a soft bristle brush. Take a close look to see if the material is degrading or if there was sealer smeared across that area when they installed the roof. If you still have concerns after cleaning take more pictures and call Grand Design support and chat with them. Support will ask for pictures so have them ready to send.

Thank you for your input (BTW .... I too am "always learning"). My challenge is that we fulltime. We are currently "wintering" in Florida until mid March, so I need to get on it and figure out the best solution soon. Thanks again for your input.
    DOUG & DIANE
    2020 Solitude 310GK - First (and current) RV
    2019 Chevy 3500 DRW Duramax / B&W Companion
    Retired & Living The Dream - One State At A Time

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    As @minnow101 said, it looks like you have an issue with the lap sealant, not the roof membrane. We had an issue with the membrane to front cap joint where a metal strip popped up and the sealant failed (stripped screws). The membrane was OK and there was no water incursion. I had been using Eternabond tape and the proper lap sealant prior to the metal strip popping all the way. GD covered the repairs and paid for a mobile tech to do it. I don't know if GD would have covered it had I been using the wrong sealant. But, again, the membrane warranty wasn't involved.

Rob
    Thanks again Rob. Your inputs and knowledge are always very much appreciated. I called Grand Design and they said I have a TPO roof. They mentioned something about Alpha Sealant (which I haven't researched yet). They also sounded very surprised that I haven't sealed (resealed?) the roof yet. Truthfully, I didn't know that was expected of me. Do you have a sealant you like for a TPO roof? A mobile tech gave me a tube of Geocel 28100V Pro Flex Crystal Clear RV Flexible Sealant a few months back am not sure if it is compatible with my TPO roof. Research and being educated on this will continue. We fulltime in our rig and will be hitting the road again in about 4 weeks so I need to get a handle on this soon. Thanks again for your inputs and for dumbing it down for me. Very much appreciated.
    DOUG & DIANE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiian Punch View Post
    Thanks again Rob. Your inputs and knowledge are always very much appreciated. I called Grand Design and they said I have a TPO roof. They mentioned something about Alpha Sealant (which I haven't researched yet). They also sounded very surprised that I haven't sealed (resealed?) the roof yet. Truthfully, I didn't know that was expected of me. Do you have a sealant you like for a TPO roof? A mobile tech gave me a tube of Geocel 28100V Pro Flex Crystal Clear RV Flexible Sealant a few months back am not sure if it is compatible with my TPO roof. Research and being educated on this will continue. We fulltime in our rig and will be hitting the road again in about 4 weeks so I need to get a handle on this soon. Thanks again for your inputs and for dumbing it down for me. Very much appreciated.
    Don’t use the Geocel on your roof. You can get Alpha products from Lippert https://store.lci1.com/alpha-systems. You want non-sag 1010 for vertical surfaces and and self-leveling 1020 for flat surfaces.

Yes GD expects owners to have the roof inspected and resealed if necessary. If you look in the warranty info your responsibilities for roof inspections are spelled out. My recommendation is if you are physically able to get on the roof and inspect it then do it frequently. If not physically able to get on the roof then have a dealer or mobile tech do it. The most common problem is self leveling sealer cracking but look at all the sealer and fix anything that looks questionable.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiian Punch View Post
    There are several brands and, as long as they're for TPO, I'm sure they're OK. I've always used Alpha Systems in the past because that's what I could get ahold of. Yes, owners are responsible inspecting and resealing the roof periodically (or paying to have someone do it). It's good insurance and can prevent thousands of dollars in damage from water incursion.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are several brands and, as long as they're for TPO, I'm sure they're OK. I've always used Alpha Systems in the past because that's what I could get ahold of. Yes, owners are responsible inspecting and resealing the roof periodically (or paying to have someone do it). It's good insurance and can prevent thousands of dollars in damage from water incursion.

Rob
    Thanks again Rob. Physical limitations prevent me from going on the roof, but I got a mobile tech to come out next week to inspect/reseal as required. Have a great day and safe travels.
    DOUG & DIANE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do not use any caulking other than those formulated for EPDM or TPO roof membranes (whichever you have - you can find it on your Serial Number Data Sheet or call GD with your VIN). Use of another sealant can damage the membrane and will void the roof membrane warranty.

Rob
    Rob, you make a valid point. If concerned about a warranty on the roof then it is best to stick with approved products. I forget that sometimes...
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    Rob, you make a valid point. If concerned about a warranty on the roof then it is best to stick with approved products. I forget that sometimes...
    The alpha product also sticks to itself and called out in gd manual

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12