Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roof Concern

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roof Concern

Noticed what looks like some sort of "pitting" on the edge of the roof membrane. Is this cause for concern? Any repair suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ROOF.jpg  
    DOUG & DIANE
    2020 Solitude 310GK - First (and current) RV
    2019 Chevy 3500 DRW Duramax / B&W Companion
    Retired & Living The Dream - One State At A Time

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn’t look good considering your Solitude is a 2020. I’m sure someone with more knowledge than me will comment, but I certainly would put some eternabond tape and dicor caulk on it.
    Mike & Linda
    303RLS
    2013 F250 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the roofs on these things are crap. Go up with a cleaner and adhesive caulking (I use marine caulking). We found our first leak within two weeks of taking delivery. I've had enough travel trailers and motorhomes to expect it so I had already planned to go around to check and caulk everything. That di-cor is also crap. Go around and check for areas where it isn't adhered to the roofing membrane, pull it off and caulk around those edges as well. Aside from that, all you can do is keep a close eye on it, or spend some serious dollars to have a good roof put on. Check out YouTube videos from RV Roof Install. That will give you an idea of what's to come if you don't keep on roof maintenance. Other than that, congrats on your relatively new RV!
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do not use any caulking other than those formulated for EPDM or TPO roof membranes (whichever you have - you can find it on your Serial Number Data Sheet or call GD with your VIN). Use of another sealant can damage the membrane and will void the roof membrane warranty.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Do not use any caulking other than those formulated for EPDM or TPO roof membranes (whichever you have - you can find it on your Serial Number Data Sheet or call GD with your VIN). Use of another sealant can damage the membrane and will void the roof membrane warranty.

Rob
    Thank you Rob. I don't see any roof information on my serial number data sheets (2ea). What is "roof membrane warranty"? Is what I have going on here covered by some sort of warranty?

Doug
    DOUG & DIANE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiian Punch View Post
    Thank you Rob. I don't see any roof information on my serial number data sheets (2ea). What is "roof membrane warranty"? Is what I have going on here covered by some sort of warranty?

Doug
    That roof membrane warranty isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on.
    It appears from your picture that the sealant needs to be replaced along the roof edge.
    In the event of water intrusion due to the TPO failure (sealant failure will not be considered roof material failure), the only thing the manufacturer would cover is the roof material. You would be responsible for the labor costs associated with the actual replacement. Which means you might see $400 on a $10,000 roof job. Like I said, worthless. .
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doug
    As @minnow101 said, it looks like you have an issue with the lap sealant, not the roof membrane. We had an issue with the membrane to front cap joint where a metal strip popped up and the sealant failed (stripped screws). The membrane was OK and there was no water incursion. I had been using Eternabond tape and the proper lap sealant prior to the metal strip popping all the way. GD covered the repairs and paid for a mobile tech to do it. I don't know if GD would have covered it had I been using the wrong sealant. But, again, the membrane warranty wasn't involved.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    As @minnow101 said, it looks like you have an issue with the lap sealant, not the roof membrane. We had an issue with the membrane to front cap joint where a metal strip popped up and the sealant failed (stripped screws). The membrane was OK and there was no water incursion. I had been using Eternabond tape and the proper lap sealant prior to the metal strip popping all the way. GD covered the repairs and paid for a mobile tech to do it. I don't know if GD would have covered it had I been using the wrong sealant. But, again, the membrane warranty wasn't involved.

Rob
    Rob,
    we had the same problem with the front cap joint metal strip also, on both ends popping up. I fix ours myself and found there were no screws from the factory on the end of the metal strip to hold the end down. In fact the first screw holding down the metal strip between the front cap and the TPO membrane was about 8-10 inches in from the end. Even then the first screws were stripped and the end edge of the metal strip started popping up through the sealant on both ends.

I drilled new holes on the very ends of the metal strip on both sides and down through the aluminum framing underneath, using new bigger & longer stainless steel screws, tightening the screws sucked the metal strip right down. I then removed and replaced the next two factory inserted screws with the new bigger longer stainless steel screws, then resealed the whole thing with new lap sealant. I keep an eye on it and haven't had anymore problems with it.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Noticed what looks like some sort of "pitting" on the edge of the roof membrane. Is this cause for concern? Any repair suggestions?
    “Is this cause for concern?” Hard to say from the image. You have had some interesting comments. If it were mine I would start with a conservative approach and not apply any sealants or tapes to it until the problem is more clearly defined. First take lots of pictures of how it looks before you do anything then do a good cleaning with mild soap and water using a soft bristle brush. Take a close look to see if the material is degrading or if there was sealer smeared across that area when they installed the roof. If you still have concerns after cleaning take more pictures and call Grand Design support and chat with them. Support will ask for pictures so have them ready to send.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post
    That roof membrane warranty isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on.
    It appears from your picture that the sealant needs to be replaced along the roof edge.
    In the event of water intrusion due to the TPO failure (sealant failure will not be considered roof material failure), the only thing the manufacturer would cover is the roof material. You would be responsible for the labor costs associated with the actual replacement. Which means you might see $400 on a $10,000 roof job. Like I said, worthless. .
    Thank you for educating me. So much more to learn I'm sure. Looks like we put too much value on the word "warranty". I have a roll of etrnabond tape, but it sounds like I need to figure out the best sealant to use.
    DOUG & DIANE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast