User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bathroom Explosion!!!

Add me to the wall of shame... We had to move the 5th wheel to do some work on the site so close everything up and pull out, do the work and pulling back in. Easy peasy right?

The work took longer than expected and apparently I was getting tired. I couldn't back the thing up to save my life. It took forever to get parked again.... Hook the sewer hose, electrical and water back up just like I've done a thousand times. I went off to do something else and a little while later, DW comes out screaming. "Something didn't sound right so I stepped on the toilet pedal and I got a face full of...!!!

Some of you already know what I did, but for those still wondering, I connected the water hose to the tank flush instead of the city water connection. Amazingly, DW caught it just in the nick of time. Other than the initial explosion (which was mostly air), there was no leak or spill whatsoever.

After cleaning everything up and using all the hot water in the shower, my amazing wife had a few words for me that I shall not repeat here. I deserved every bit of it. 😳

The moral of the story:
    We all get overconfident (I prefer the word Cocky, but...). We're pretty careful of distractions and we check and double check when we hook and unhook the truck and other critical tasks, but it can also be the mundane tasks that hurt pretty bad when we screw them up.

All ended well, but it got my attention for sure.
    Roger, Stacy and the Sophie the fur kid

2017 Solitude 300GK
    2015 Chev 2500 Diesel (replaced)
    2020 F350 DRW

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sadly, we know just what you went through. Circumstance was a bit different and it was not directly self inflicted. But the end results we just as tty, if not a bit more because we were parked longer.
    Certainly not a fun clean up but our bathroom was as clean as the day we got the trailer by the time we were done. Sounds like we both learned lessons from explosive events like this.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be checking the roof vent, there should not have been a pressure buildup in the tank.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW, Thanks for the warning. Good on your wife being a real trooper at that moment, and sorry to hear you'll never kiss her again. LOL
    2021 Reflection 340RDS
    2022 Ram 3500 Big Horn/CCSB//4X4/SRW/HEMI/4:10
    2019 Imagine 2250RK~Sold

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have all been there. I did something stupid when servicing our thetford toilet. The foot pedal was a little sticky so I took the foot pedal off and was using some plumbers grease on the ball valve arm and the water valve. When putting the foot pedal back on I got the ball valve drive arm out of position and the first use snapped off the peg on the drive arm. The ball valve will not open or close. The water valve is pretty much available but the ball valve drive arm is just about unobtainable, online or at any RV parts store. Wife was not happy we couldn't use the toilet until fixed.

I couldn't believe my luck when I found one in stock at Camping World San Antonio, after a long drive and $15, I had the toilet fixed. Wife was happy!
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmbopp View Post
    I'd be checking the roof vent, there should not have been a pressure buildup in the tank.
    You could get a few pounds of pressure with just water in the tank due to the height of the vent pipe. Any solids in the tank are likely to block the vent as the water rises though and then things get sketchy.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought this was going to be a Taco Bell thread from the title.

Thanks for the warning. This newbie needs all the stories like this he can read.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's some lessons that we will remember for ever. This one I think will be one of them for you. Lol glad it all worked out in the end.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmbopp View Post
    I thought about that too, but I've checked it before and all was well. Just for fun I looked up a water pressure table and it turns out that the top of the vent pipe 8ft above the toilet is about 26 psi. That's enough to make things interesting.

And that also says something about the timing and DW's.quick response. I think a few more seconds or a minute and it would have been running out of the vent.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once upon a time, I was working at an RV resort i Idaho and was cleaning toilets. I like toilets to be sterile and cleaner than at a hospital. I used some harsh chems and this time I blew the base out from the toilet. I got to replace it.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast