User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Welding a hitch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welding a hitch

I’m looking at trading into the imagine trailer line and would need to have a hitch receiver in order to mount bikes. I don’t have the trailer yet, not sure going to get it, but if I do is there any reason why a bike rack cannot be welded to the frame?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Matt, Trish, Conner & Ethan
    2022 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 Ram 3500 Laramie
    Both Retired USAF

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think its doable. A coworker of mine has a 2800BH and got a hitch welded so he can double tow a utility trailer for his SxS, he said it worked out well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Others that may have done it will likely comment. I'm no engineer, but it doesn't seem to be hard from an access to stuff perspective. Ask your local Grand Design dealer what shop they refer their customers to for this kind of work, and discuss with those folks. How hard, how expensive, etc. Grand Design has not, to the best of my knowledge, used mods like this as a general reason to disallow lots of warranty work - but would, of course, be within their rights in specific situations, if they ever came up.
    Note that for any pull behind trailer, they need a pretty robust hitch structure and mounting, and the bike rack itself needs to be rated for RV's - most (but not all) specifically warn against such use. There's a very long moment arm from the axels to the bikes, that greatly compounds the banging up and down as they go down the road.
    Also note that all travel trailers must have a given minimum amount of weight on their tongues to prevent sway. Putting loads out from the rear end can sometimes significantly reduce that tongue weight and make for dangerous driving. There are several adaptors that allow one to mount the bike rack over the tongue. Net result is much, much less cost and no compromising safety. One does have to lift the bikes up to the elevated position, however.

BTW - as far as double towing trailers, check with your state. Those that do allow it usually only allow it for fifth wheels, NOT conventional travel trailers. Surprisingly few allow any double towing at all.
    Last edited by sande005; 02-20-2022 at 09:00 PM.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Momentum and the garage was just getting too crowded with a Can Am Spyder, a fire pit, a dog cart that we tow behind the bikes, etc. So I decided to add a hitch to the rear of the trailer. Instead of welding the actual hitch to the trailer, I bought two pieces of 4" steel channel and had a welder come to the house and weld the two pieces to the main frame rails of the trailer. The frame structure on the trailer is 12" "H" beams and the 4" channel fits in between those two frame beams and sits on top of the bottom flange. They were aligned where I wanted them and welded in by a certified welder. Once the 4" channel was welded in place (I had pre drilled the channel to match the mounting holes of the hitch) I raised it up and bolted it in place using eight grade 8 bolts. The hitch is a Curt Class III hitch. If something ever happened to the hitch, I can unbolt it and replace it...vs...having to have it cut out from being welded in place.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    Others that may have done it will likely comment. I'm no engineer, but it doesn't seem to be hard from an access to stuff perspective. Ask your local Grand Design dealer what shop they refer their customers to for this kind of work, and discuss with those folks. How hard, how expensive, etc. Grand Design has not, to the best of my knowledge, used mods like this as a general reason to disallow lots of warranty work - but would, of course, be within their rights in specific situations, if they ever came up.
    Note that for any pull behind trailer, they need a pretty robust hitch structure and mounting, and the bike rack itself needs to be rated for RV's - most (but not all) specifically warn against such use. There's a very long moment arm from the axels to the bikes, that greatly compounds the banging up and down as they go down the road.
    Also note that all travel trailers must have a given minimum amount of weight on their tongues to prevent sway. Putting loads out from the rear end can sometimes significantly reduce that tongue weight and make for dangerous driving. There are several adaptors that allow one to mount the bike rack over the tongue. Net result is much, much less cost and no compromising safety. One does have to lift the bikes up to the elevated position, however.

BTW - as far as double towing trailers, check with your state. Those that do allow it usually only allow it for fifth wheels, NOT conventional travel trailers. Surprisingly few allow any double towing at all.
    Thanks. The hitch would be for two E-bikes and the current bike rack I have is RV rated. The bikes weigh a total of 150 pounds. I don’t think/hope it would take away from the tongue weight because I will have enough crap in my front storage area to off set the weight.

2022 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 Ram 3500 Laramie
    Both Retired USAF

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    I think its doable. A coworker of mine has a 2800BH and got a hitch welded so he can double tow a utility trailer for his SxS, he said it worked out well.

Does your friend like his trailer? That’s one of the two trailers we are considering in the imagine line.

2022 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 Ram 3500 Laramie
    Both Retired USAF

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post

Actually surprisingly few DON’T allow it, for example WA and OR are the only ones west of the Mississippi that ban it.
    Last edited by Bungy; 02-21-2022 at 08:12 AM.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjlebsa View Post
    Does your friend like his trailer? That’s one of the two trailers we are considering in the imagine line.

Yes, he enjoys it a lot. He also takes it hunting and only does off grid camping. He has a single 100AH lithium battery and says it works out well. I think he brings a generator with him to charge it.

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjlebsa View Post
    I’m looking at trading into the imagine trailer line and would need to have a hitch receiver in order to mount bikes. I don’t have the trailer yet, not sure going to get it, but if I do is there any reason why a bike rack cannot be welded to the frame?

Thanks Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We have a new 2022 22MLE and I did have a receiver welded to the trailer frame to attach our Hollywood rack for our 2 eBikes. I had a welding shop I have used for years on my hotrods and my trailers. All custom, no bolt on and not cheap .... $650.

Here's a few pictures:

BTW, I removed the spare which I will temporarily carry in the bed of the truck until BAL's undercarriage tire carrier is off back order.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul & Deb View Post
    We have a new 2022 22MLE and I did have a receiver welded to the trailer frame to attach our Hollywood rack for our 2 eBikes. I had a welding shop I have used for years on my hotrods and my trailers. All custom, no bolt on and not cheap .... $650.

Here's a few pictures:

BTW, I removed the spare which I will temporarily carry in the bed of the truck until BAL's undercarriage tire carrier is off back order.
    Awesome.
    Thanks

2022 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 Ram 3500 Laramie
    Both Retired USAF

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast