User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Welding a hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is how Northwood MFG welds in their rear trailer receiver.

Pretty beefy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hitch.jpg  

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    This is how Northwood MFG welds in their rear trailer receiver.

Pretty beefy.
    Yep that’s beefy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Matt, Trish, Conner & Ethan
    2022 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 Ram 3500 Laramie
    Both Retired USAF

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2021 Imagine 3100rd and a welded hitch receiver

Quote Originally Posted by Paul & Deb View Post
    We have a new 2022 22MLE and I did have a receiver welded to the trailer frame to attach our Hollywood rack for our 2 eBikes. I had a welding shop I have used for years on my hotrods and my trailers. All custom, no bolt on and not cheap .... $650.

Here's a few pictures:

BTW, I removed the spare which I will temporarily carry in the bed of the truck until BAL's undercarriage tire carrier is off back order.
    Paul, some details pls. I’ve got a 2021 imagine 3100rd and we love it! Pull it with a 2013 F150 eco boost. Lots of power and seems to handle it well with an Equalizer hitch. I’ve got 2 e-bikes that I use a Vibrelli fat tire e-bike rack that I got from Amazon that does a great job.

My GD dealer won’t recommend aftermarket work so I’m on my own. What hitch did you add? Where did you get it from?

My local Uhaul dealer isn’t interested; seems like he has enough business doing car hitches and didn’t call me back even after several voicemails. So I found an auto/truck service shop that will weld a hitch on but need more details to share with them on installation best practices once I obtain the hitch. Cost of parts and installation isn’t really an issue if it’s done right and I don’t hv to worry about the rack or bikes falling off.

Also very interested in the BAL under mount tire rack to get it off the bumper. Looks like it doesn’t hv to be welded but needs holes drilled into frame. Is that correct? How did yours turn out? Suggestions?

Any help much appreciated!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mounted a bike rack above on the front of our 18RBE above the propane tanks. Stromberg Carlson. https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camp...f792c4c6732a2b
    Doug, Patti and our puppy Leo are from upstate NY.
    Imagine 2019 XLS 18RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive seen these before, but ebikes are far to heavy to do that, they are 60-75 pounds each. Its tough enough getting them mounted in the rack I have that uses a standard truck receiver.

But thanks for your suggestion.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with wmgoat. On truck topper or above propane is a no go for e-bikes. Pretty much limited to eBike & rv rated receiver hitch rack.
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjlebsa View Post
    I’m looking at trading into the imagine trailer line and would need to have a hitch receiver in order to mount bikes. I don’t have the trailer yet, not sure going to get it, but if I do is there any reason why a bike rack cannot be welded to the frame?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've welded several hitches to the fifth wheel campers that I have had. Just do it correctly and don't exceed the weight ratings and you will be fine. One of my 31' fifth wheels had a hitch on the rear that I pulled my 18' ATV trailer on. I double pulled that all over CO and had no issues.
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wmgoat View Post
    Paul, some details pls. I’ve got a 2021 imagine 3100rd and we love it! Pull it with a 2013 F150 eco boost. Lots of power and seems to handle it well with an Equalizer hitch. I’ve got 2 e-bikes that I use a Vibrelli fat tire e-bike rack that I got from Amazon that does a great job.

My GD dealer won’t recommend aftermarket work so I’m on my own. What hitch did you add? Where did you get it from?

My local Uhaul dealer isn’t interested; seems like he has enough business doing car hitches and didn’t call me back even after several voicemails. So I found an auto/truck service shop that will weld a hitch on but need more details to share with them on installation best practices once I obtain the hitch. Cost of parts and installation isn’t really an issue if it’s done right and I don’t hv to worry about the rack or bikes falling off.

Also very interested in the BAL under mount tire rack to get it off the bumper. Looks like it doesn’t hv to be welded but needs holes drilled into frame. Is that correct? How did yours turn out? Suggestions?

Any help much appreciated!
    Hi wmgoat. First, I don't go to a dealer for anything and secondly, life's too short to avoid doing something in fear of a warranty decline.

The hitch was custom built, not of the shelf. I used a welding shop I have used for years on previous trailers and cars. He rates it for 500 lbs. I have a rear camera and our 60 lb ebikes ride solid back there.

The BAL spare tire carrier is very convenient and easy to install. I've installed one previously and this is perfect and helps rebalance the weight after removing the spare from the rear.

As far as the hitch goes, having it built and installed by an experienced certified welder is essential in my opinion.

Good luck with your decision.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure how much e-bikes weigh, but I doubt my over the tanks bike rack would be fun to deal with if they were heavy.

Frankly I'd worry about sticking a hitch and heavy e-bikes on the back of a my travel trailer, in that they would reduce the trailer's tongue weight and increase sway. Be careful....

Why not mount a rack for the e-bikes in the bed of the truck? Weracks in the bed too. However bed racks do reduce the storage capacity of the bed, so we put more stuff in the back of the cab when we do this.
    Doug, Patti and our puppy Leo are from upstate NY.
    Imagine 2019 XLS 18RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done several weld in receiver hitches. I buy a length of 2x2 heavy wall box tubing. Then I cut and weld in two crossbars. From frame rail to frame rail across the trailer. One as far to the rear as the frame allows. The second I weld about 3' forward of the first. Then weld a piece to the bottom of those two crossbars and add the receiver to the end that longitudinal piece. IMO, this spreads out the stress on the frame. Very similar to what Paul & Deb posted up
    Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 01-10-2023 at 04:26 PM.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast