User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LeslieG View Post
    That's kind of where my mind went also after I tried to fit the ball in the harness. Now I have to find out what's next. Thank you so much for your help!!
    Glad I could help. Not sure what ball you are putting in the harness? Where are you located?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes you will need an adapter to reduce your receiver to 2". Make sure you order one that has a shoulder on it, so that it can't slide all the way into the receiver. My son in law has a 2500 Dodge and he bought an adapter w/o a shoulder, it's a #itch to hook up. IMO life's too short to put up with dumb designs.

As for equalizer WDH, we have the Hensley Arrow. No bars to pop on, virtually a fool proof hitch, works better than any equalizer hitch I've used. It costs more but IMO you get what you pay for.
    Mark and Judy
    2021 F350 Lariat Crew 4x4 SRW 7.3 Godzilla
    2021 Imagine 2500RL w/Hensley Arrow hitch
    Fleet Manager, Cowlitz County WA Search & Rescue

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those adapters are definitely a pain in the rear. If you can, highly recommend getting a 2.5" shank. Too many times have I left the adapter in there :-(
    2020 GMC Sierra 2500 AT4 6.6L Gasser
    2020 Imagine 2400BH

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LeslieG View Post
    That's kind of where my mind went also after I tried to fit the ball in the harness. Now I have to find out what's next. Thank you so much for your help!!
    Hi LeslieG,

I have the same rig.

I think you are confusing ball diameter and shank size of the hitch.

On your tow vehicle, the shank receiver is most likely a 2 1/2 receiver. The hitch shank is 2.
    You have two options:
    1. Replace the 2 inch shank with a 2 1/2 shank on the same equalizer hitch. This is my recommended path.
    2. By a receiver adapter 2 1/2 - 2 inch.
    Pain, but easiest path.

Here is a link to the Mopar Receiver Adapter

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0198MUDFM...YSE5T92T7CT997

Here is a link to the Equalizer 2 1/2 inch shank

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YLC149L...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I agree, once you decide which way to go, you will definitely need some assistance adjusting.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Bill,

Thanks very much for the help. I actually found a Curt 12,000 2" ball, which should be sufficient, and saves me replacing the receiver hitch, while still being able to support the 14,000 equalizer after I added an expansion ring to eliminate the wiggle in the shank hole. I'm still too sure why GD put a 2" on a 10,000 lb. trailer, but they did.

Kind regards,
    Leslie

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You definitely don't have a 2" ball size on the trailer. If you try and use that on a 2" ball, your trailer can come off the ball and you will have a very bad day. The 2" ball is only rated for 8K. See these pics for alittle bit more info. To help everyone here in aiding you, please take some pics of your equipment so we can see what your referring to. I believe you are using the wrong terminology. Happy Camping!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hitch.png 
Views:	9 
Size:	213.2 KB 
ID:	39162Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ball.png 
Views:	9 
Size:	106.8 KB 
ID:	39163
    2020 GMC Sierra 2500 AT4 6.6L Gasser
    2020 Imagine 2400BH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leslie, the ball size you have is the correct one. You need a 2 5/16 inch ball. I'm guessing that when you tried to connect the ball to the coupler on the trailer it was in the locked position. The way the ball and coupler work is that you have open the coupler by sliding the locking mechanism up to unlock then insert the ball, once the ball is in the coupler you lock it in place by sliding the locking mechanism back down.

Find a good mobile tech who can install and setup your hitch for you.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tgunter5 View Post
    Those adapters are definitely a pain in the rear. If you can, highly recommend getting a 2.5" shank. Too many times have I left the adapter in there :-(
    I use a hitch pin lock. It's always in towing or not and keeps the 2" adapter in towing or not.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pap and Mimi View Post
    Read the literature that came with the hitch, the Equalizer hitch head has a max length for the shank on the ball to keep it from hitting the bars in a tight turn. The balls I was able to find at local part and hardware stores has a shank too long. Get a ball from Equalizer and it will have the correct length shank.
    There is also a very high torque value needed for the nut that holds the ball, I used a borrowed torque wrench that went to 600 ft lb.
    Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I have it straightened out now. I have the 14,000 lb equalizer, with a Curt 30,000 lb, 2 5/16" hitch ball. My receiver is same. Getting my trailer cameras installed and see you on the road.
    Best regards,
    Leslie

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast