Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing system recommendations

Greetings,

I have a 2020 GD Reflection 315RLTS. I recently determined that I want to start traveling (I had it towed before) so I purchased an Equalizer sway control, with a rating of 14,000 lbs (my trailer Is probably pushing 12,000, and I was told I should go a bit bigger for safety). I also ordered a hitch ball, which doesn't come with the hitch. Turns out the hitch ball that matches up with that system is a 2 5/8" size, but even though my RAM 2500 has a 2 1/2" hitch mount, my trailer and the system itself are 2".

The guy who sold the system to me at Camping World told me there's an adapter to allow the Equalizer hitch to fit my truck, but this still leaves me needing a hitch ball that will handle the job, and I am wondering if I am on the wrong track entirely.

Does anyone have a recommendation for the best sway bars for me, including whether this guy is right, in which case I need a 2" ball recommendation that will handle that much weight, to be compatible with my trailer.

Thanks for any and all input!
    Leslie

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The hitch ball is more than likely 2 5/16 not 2 5/8. So you should have the correct size ball for the equalizer hitch. If it’s rated at 14k lbs you should be fine. Your truck should have come with an adapter that goes down to the 2” shank, but if not you can get one or you can buy a 2.5” shank for the equalizer hitch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What’s the GVWR of your trailer?

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, GVWR is 11295 lbs.

You are correct in the size of the ball, my bad. It's 2 5/16". My only remaining issue then, is that the receiver on the trailer has a fitting for a 2" ball, too small for the one I got.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read the literature that came with the hitch, the Equalizer hitch head has a max length for the shank on the ball to keep it from hitting the bars in a tight turn. The balls I was able to find at local part and hardware stores has a shank too long. Get a ball from Equalizer and it will have the correct length shank.
    There is also a very high torque value needed for the nut that holds the ball, I used a borrowed torque wrench that went to 600 ft lb.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LeslieG View Post
    Hi, GVWR is 11295 lbs.

You are correct in the size of the ball, my bad. It's 2 5/16". My only remaining issue then, is that the receiver on the trailer has a fitting for a 2" ball, too small for the one I got.
    So the hitch shank that come with the equalizer hitch come with a 2” and your ram 2500 has a 2.5” receiver? If this is what your trying to say then all you need is the adapter

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FIrst of all, thank you. Got that part. I am assuming my Equalizer 14,000 lbs, with the 2" shank, is totally compatible with and, in fact, expects, to be paired with a 2 5/16" hitch ball, which is what they sent me. Therefore the adapter solves that issues.

Remaining however, is my own failure to check the size of my trailer's hitch ball. I assumed GD would have given me the necessary size, but the receiver is only 2". Now I must figure out, can I go down in ball size, while still staying within recommended limits, or do I need to determine what combo is necessary that actually works. This is all my fault, unless it's easy to support a larger hitch ball with my current trailer harness, and it doesn't look like an easy task.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FIrst of all, thank you. Got that part. I am assuming my Equalizer 14,000 lbs, with the 2" shank, is totally compatible with and, in fact, expects, to be paired with a 2 5/16" hitch ball, which is what they sent me. Therefore the adapter solves that issues.

Remaining however, is my own failure to check the size of my trailer's hitch ball. I assumed GD would have given me the necessary size, but the receiver is only 2". Now I must figure out, can I go down in ball size, while still staying within recommended limits, or do I need to determine what combo is necessary that actually works. This is all my fault, unless it's easy to support a larger hitch ball with my current trailer harness, and it doesn't look like an easy task.
    I highly doubt that trailer requires a 2 inch ball size it should be 2 5/16 especially with that size trailer. I would double check or just see if it will hook up with the one you got.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's kind of where my mind went also after I tried to fit the ball in the harness. Now I have to find out what's next. Thank you so much for your help!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's kind of where my mind went also after I tried to fit the ball in the harness. Now I have to find out what's next. Thank you so much for your help!!
    I think the "what's next" is getting someone to help with the install. There are multiple adjustments on the hitch that must be "dialed in" together based on truck height measurements, scale readings, and how the truck/trailer "feels" when towing. There are also some tools needed for the install that may not be in every home owners tool box. (torque wrench, large socket to install the ball in the hitch head...)
    With the misunderstandings presented so far with the ball size/receiver size please have a local shop or camping friend with a mechanical background help you going forward.
    2019 2970RL
    2020 F250

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast