Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gen Y Executive 5th Wheel King Pin Box and Momentum

Looking at upgrading my King Pin Box on my Momentum 328G to a Gen Y King Pin Box. Two questions for any Momentum owners who may have made the switch:

Speaking with Gen Y reps they stated that they have had issues with Momentum owners trying to get the King Pin Box into the top holes hitting the underside of the trailer. They stated that they modify the hitch by cutting it down where the clearance issue is for Momentum owners. Looking at my 328G it looks like I would need to use the top holes to get a level ride height with my Tremor and B&W Companion Slider hitch. Currently the center of the top mounting hole is about even with the bottom of the front cap and a 1/4" below center at the cap trim piece between the cap and underside. Anyone have this modification done or had issues installing the Gen Y King Pin Box to get the trailer level?

Specifically to 328 or 320 owners - which size pin box worked for you? They suggest the 4.5K pin box for 16,800 GVWR trailer. 2,500 - 4,500 Pin weight. With an UVW weight off the factory floor of 12,300 and a hitch weight of 2,200 lbs for the 328g it is under the 4.5K pin box size empty. The 3.5K pin box is rated at 1,500 - 3,500 pin weight. It is winter here and all the gravel pits with scales are shut down for another month plus. I have no local scales to confirm but I believe that the trailer typically weighs approximately 14,300 lbs fully loaded with gear, food, full water tanks and full fuel tank with around a 2600 lb hitch weight. Any additional weight I may carry would be in the garage most likely lessening the pin weight. Seems that the 328 and 320 are right between the two pin boxes or closer to the 3.5K. Speaking with their rep, they recommend the 4.5K pin box for the GVWR of the trailer. They said that after the 1000 mile brake in that if it was too stiff and not riding in the right weight area they would pay shipping to exchange for the 3.5K pin box. If I buy the 3.5K pin box to start and it proves to soft, they will replace it with the 4.5K but I will be responsible for shipping. Obviously I would start with the 4.5K for this reason. The question is if there are any 328/320 owners who have switched over to the Gen Y pin box and what experience did you have with the pin box size.

I am only interested in the torsion Gen Y pin box over the original as I live at 8000' and I am not interested in anything with an air bag as every trip involves altitude changes between 12,000' and 5,000' or less.

Thanks for any input!
    Erik & Julie
    2020 Momentum 328G, Solar, W/D
    2022 F350 Platinum Tremor - 6.7l Powerstroke, S&B 60 Gal Tank, Many Mods
    1997 F250/350 7.3l Powerstroke, ZF5, 4.10 LS, Custom Built - Heavily Modified

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back Country

Can give you some feedback on the Gen Y 5th wheel pin box, I ordered the GH - 8050 Executive Torsion Flex, Fifth Wheel King Pin 4.5K direct from Gen Y. I'll start by saying, pricey, yes, worth it, absolutely.

I previously was using a 2018 RAM 3500 Mega Cab short bed, 6.7 Cummins DRW as my Tow Vehicle, I ordered the replacement vehicle a 2022 Ford F 350 Super Duty Lariat, 8 ft. bed DRW Power Stroke, 4 x 4 3.55 Differential with 10 speed Auto Trans. Our 2019 Grand Design Solitude 372WB-R with the standard Pin Box (Lippert ) was far too close in clearance (bed rail to underside of camper, less than 3". Knew that was going to be an issue. Did a tremendous amount of research, and settled on the Gen-Y. Got it installed with assistance of grand son and his dad and front end loader on the Kubota. Properly torqued to specs, just finished our first trip 700 miles total to OK.
    The difference was night and day, I cannot say enough about the TV - Ford is so much more quite over the RAM, ride there is no comparison. The Gen Y hitch is a beast, solid as a rock, with the combination of the two, no chucking, no bounce at all. Total impression was great, and the fuel rate with the hills and traveling at 65 mph on the interstate was 10.2 mpg.

Overall very pleased
    Greg & Twyla Gossler
    2019 GD Solitude 372WB - Gen Y GH 8040 Pin Box
    2022 Ford F 350 Lariat CC - DRW - PowerStroke - 8' Bed 4 x 4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ggossler View Post
    Back Country

Can give you some feedback on the Gen Y 5th wheel pin box, I ordered the GH - 8050 Executive Torsion Flex, Fifth Wheel King Pin 4.5K direct from Gen Y. I'll start by saying, pricey, yes, worth it, absolutely.

I previously was using a 2018 RAM 3500 Mega Cab short bed, 6.7 Cummins DRW as my Tow Vehicle, I ordered the replacement vehicle a 2022 Ford F 350 Super Duty Lariat, 8 ft. bed DRW Power Stroke, 4 x 4 3.55 Differential with 10 speed Auto Trans. Our 2019 Grand Design Solitude 372WB-R with the standard Pin Box (Lippert ) was far too close in clearance (bed rail to underside of camper, less than 3". Knew that was going to be an issue. Did a tremendous amount of research, and settled on the Gen-Y. Got it installed with assistance of grand son and his dad and front end loader on the Kubota. Properly torqued to specs, just finished our first trip 700 miles total to OK.
    The difference was night and day, I cannot say enough about the TV - Ford is so much more quite over the RAM, ride there is no comparison. The Gen Y hitch is a beast, solid as a rock, with the combination of the two, no chucking, no bounce at all. Total impression was great, and the fuel rate with the hills and traveling at 65 mph on the interstate was 10.2 mpg.

Overall very pleased
    Thanks for the input. The difference between my '97 7.3l Powerstroke and '22 6.7l is amazing. The '97 was the pinnacle engine of the time - seems like the '22 F350 6.7l is the same of this time period. My wife used to wear hearing protection in the 7.3l towing over the passes due to how loud engine/turbo sound is in cab. The 6.7l has 3x the torque and 2x the horsepower over the 7.3l Powerstroke which really makes the Colorado passes pleasant. I almost never tow over flat terrain so the extra power is very noticeable. Everyone says the Gen Y torsion hitch amazing. Just trying to figure out configuration and model. Would love the Goose Hitch but there is no way on my SB as I need the slider to maneuver where we go back country. I hate the loss of the bed with the turnover ball and GH while using the Momentum and I hate installing and uninstalling the heavy hitch but I have no choice. My 328g is a lot smaller than your 372 so I am unsure of getting the 3.5k or the 4.5k. I will start with the 4.5k and hope it works.

Both our trailers should be approximately the same height off the ground level. Did you have to modify the hitch to get it in the upper bolt holes or did you find going down to the 2nd set of bolts allowed your trailer to ride level with your '22 F350? I believe my '22 Tremor's bed sits 2" higher than a standard F350. I don't want to be too nose high on my trailer.
    Erik & Julie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Erik:

I was able to use the 2nd set of bolts , and still have a level ride. Will send some additional photos when hooked to the TV
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3406.jpg   IMG_3407.jpg  
    Greg & Twyla Gossler
    2019 GD Solitude 372WB - Gen Y GH 8040 Pin Box
    2022 Ford F 350 Lariat CC - DRW - PowerStroke - 8' Bed 4 x 4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting the photos!
    Erik & Julie

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just for information if you considering thier goose box. Double check the length and height. It is shorter than the Reese by several inches (tailgate clearance and front compartment door clearance could become issues) and has very limited height adjustment. So measure carefully before ordering.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Just for information if you considering thier goose box. Double check the length and height. It is shorter than the Reese by several inches (tailgate clearance and front compartment door clearance could become issues) and has very limited height adjustment. So measure carefully before ordering.
    This precisely why I am choosing the Reese Goosebox over the Gen-Y. My tailgate is already close to the front bay door with no clearance for me to scoot through; I want to keep as much of that clearance as I can. That way, if I have to connect or disconnect and an angle I will have more clearance when I lower the tailgate to disconnect/connect.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ggossler View Post
    Erik:

I was able to use the 2nd set of bolts , and still have a level ride. Will send some additional photos when hooked to the TV
    I had to mount the hitch as high as possible lining up the highest bolt holes to get my rig level which took a little modification. With the Gen Y Executive 5th wheel king pin box in the top position and the B&W Companion Slider in the lowest position I have a perfectly level ride fully loaded with toys, full water tanks, fuel tanks and 60 gal diesel in the truck. This gives me a solid 7" clearance over the bed rail of my '22 F350 Tremor. Fully loaded I only get 2.5" of sag in my rear suspension, just touching the front bumper of the helper spring. Very happy with how everything turned out! Headed to Arizona for a couple of weeks to escape mud season and try out the new setup!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220328_174521.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	39727Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220329_180554.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	39728
    Erik & Julie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some here on upgrading, Has anyone purchased a Gen Y Hitch for a Momentum 376ths. I'm looking to buying one but having problems with getting all the measurements to order right one. What is on the RV now is a Lippert - Item Number 796642. Any Help would be appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RayP5213 View Post
    Some here on upgrading, Has anyone purchased a Gen Y Hitch for a Momentum 376ths. I'm looking to buying one but having problems with getting all the measurements to order right one. What is on the RV now is a Lippert - Item Number 796642. Any Help would be appreciated
    Just got back from a 1400 mile round trip to Arizona. Got to break in the hitch over the rough Arizona roads - Glad to have made the investment. Ride is 100% better than a standard King Pin Box, hardly know I'm pulling a 16000 lb trailer even through all the steep grades and undulating bumpy roads with my F350 6.7l Tremor. Gen Y gives a chart to base your hitch choice from. Take your gross weight (20,000 lbs on the 376) and multiply by 22% (.22) gives you a 4,400 lb pin weights. They would recommend the 5.5k model. I have the 4.5k Model on my 16,800 lb 328g recommended by Gen Y staff and it was the correct one. They recommend calling as there are fitment issues with the Momentum which I ran into. I had to use the top mounting holes and lowest setting on my Companion 5th Wheel Slider hitch to get a level ride with 7" clearance above the bed rails on my Tremor. The underside of the overhang of the Momentum cap hits the top of the hitch preventing using the top holes. I had to re-manufacture the top of the hitch by scribing the areas coming into contact with the cap, cutting them out and structurally welding the King Pin Box back together to make it work. Just be aware if you need to use the top mounting position you will need to do the same or have a fabricator modify the King Pin Box for you. Took a day of work to adjust the King Pin Box but well worth it! Ride is phenomenal especially in the rough terrain I go to not to mention the deteriorating Interstates we have to deal with.
    Erik & Julie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast