User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Water leak around water heater

I have a 2670mk. I'm getting a water leak from around my water heater when it rains. Its saturated the small area between the desk drawers and where the slide starts. I've applied sealant many times and cant figure it out. Anyone else? Any thoughts? No water is connected to trailer and I've used a water hose to confirm my water is leaking in around my water heater. Thanks.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I have a 2450RL and had a similar issue. Mine was the outside flange. In the evening, after dark put a strong flashlight in the water heater bay and go outside. Open the water heater hatch and see if you see light. On mine it was the small slits they put in the sheet metal flange. They put small slits in it to help bend that flange for mounting it to the outside wall.
    Mine has no gasket and I could see light thru the slats. I used silicone to seal the outside slits up and no more leaking. I took it to the dealer and the tech found an additional leak on the black tank flush inlet line that is above the water heater on my unit also leaking. They fixed that. Hope this helps.
    Mark
    2022 F-350 XLT 4X4 7.3 Gasser
    2020 2450RL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea to use the light. I'll be doing that tomorrow night. I'll let you know what I find. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just like you said. Light worked like a champ! I could see a slit along the top and left side. Thanks!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perfect! Glad you found that. I ended up with some damaged wood in mine from that little leak, dealer couldn't find it. But they did repair the damage so it's all good.
    Have a good one, Mark
    2022 F-350 XLT 4X4 7.3 Gasser
    2020 2450RL

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2450RL and the WH leaked also, I tried to use sealant around the flange but didn't work out. I finally pull the water heater out to observe the gasket and that was the problem. Essentially what was there was a very thin gasket. Ended up cleaning away all of the old gasket and installing a new butyl tape one. Made sure it sealed around the flange and around the corner to squeeze the tape into those slits int case flanged. Then used sealant to seal outside edge and inside at those slits. The inside corners need a little extra sealant in my opinion, too, especially the lower ones where the door hinges are. Haven't had any leakage in a year. 2 pieces of molding was damaged at the floor but file a warranty claim with GD and they sent me replacements. WinWin in my book.
    Dana & Janet H.
    New Orleans, La.
    Imagine 2450RL (MY2020)
    2018 GMC 1500 Sierra, SLT Z71 4X4

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same problem on my 2670MK. After reading this thread I applied high temp silicone to the openings in the hot water flange. I also replaced the bulb seals around the slide out. Last night we had a strong rain, and this morning we discovered that that same area was wet again. The wiper seal is intact, but I noticed that the small 3-4 inch extra seal underneath the slide corner where the leak is was bent and not fully extended. This created an opening into the camper; not only could I see the carpet edge, but I could feel air rushing out from the fan I had inside blowing on the carpet to dry it. I could touch the carpet with my finger.

I stuffed the hole full of neoprene A/C pipe insulation as a stop-gap, but I need to come up with a better solution.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220926_142356.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	43220

(Photo should be rotated to the right for correct orientation. )
    Last edited by RicknBobbie; 09-26-2022 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Duplicate Photo
    2018 2670MK
    2019 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab Z71
    Blue Ox hitch