User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaines1959 View Post
    Thank you again Terry H! I was hesitant on installing valves wondering if there might be a problem with the connection between both tanks. I asked my mobile RV tech to come over as he stops by my storage facility often. I purchased the shark bite valves like you mentioned yesterday. He met me at my storage facility this morning and we proceeded to try your suggestion. As I was pumping water in with my truck mounted tank he held his finger over the vent on the front tank and felt air coming out. This was after install of valves and we had already closed the valve on the rear tank when water started coming out of the vent. Sure enough as the front tank filled water started coming out of the vent which had never happened before. So obviously the rear tank was full and with this method it forced water into the front tank and filled it. We then closed the valve on the front tank. Then checked the water gauge and it showed full. It only showed half full before filling the front tank. Anyway long story short your method worked and I am very thankful for your suggestion! I will remember to open both valves when we reach our camping destination to allow for venting. Steve
    Great! I've made opening the valves priority one when we get to the camping spot so I don't forget. Don't be surprised if a gallon or two comes out once you open the valves.
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2021 20' Haulmark Edge race trailer
    '17 Ram CCLB 3500 dually 6.7 turbo
    '96 Chevy C3500 CC dually 454
    2019 Honda Talon X
    1985 Honda FL350R Odyssey

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to you both for responding! I noticed 2 quick drains and 2 blue pex overflow tubes under mine so I have 2 tanks also. Never even thought about that. Question is after installing shut off valves the rear overflow always starts spewing water first so I would then shut that valve to allow front tank to fill? It sound scary to close a overflow valve hoping that the front tank then fills!
    I have had the underbelly off of my 398.
    What I believe is the root cause is the haphazard way the tanks are installed. They are all at different heights. This will cause what you have experienced.I think that it will not do any good to shut off your valves in order to get a complete fill. because when you open them at camp that water will just leak out. The solution is to raise the height of the vents, as I touched on in my previous post. Install a "T" to each overflow. Install your valves to it, and a length of PEX to the remaining "T". Route the PEX to a higher spot on the coach. I installed mine high up in the propane compartment.
    This eliminates having to remember to open the valves in camp, as they are always vented threu the new PEX, and permits a full fill as the vent is much higher than the tank... I also put some screen over the new vent to prevent things from getting into it.... Which IMO is another problem with the stock tank vent setup.... It is easy for insects etc. to find their way into the tanks
    NOTE: I tied the vents together so I only had to run one vent into the propane compartment. This is fine for general use when camping using the water pump. But IMO, it is probably necessary to open the shutoff valves in order to use the tanks dump valves. I think those two, 2" valves with only one vent would not be sufficent. Opening the shutoff valves returns the venting to the stock configuration.
    Last edited by huntindog; 02-26-2022 at 03:40 AM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a much smaller 17 MKE with just one take, and I cork the overflow because I too noticed I didn't have the water I thought I had. I just make a checklist and uncork it at camp.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you again Terry H! I was hesitant on installing valves wondering if there might be a problem with the connection between both tanks. I asked my mobile RV tech to come over as he stops by my storage facility often. I purchased the shark bite valves like you mentioned yesterday. He met me at my storage facility this morning and we proceeded to try your suggestion. As I was pumping water in with my truck mounted tank he held his finger over the vent on the front tank and felt air coming out. This was after install of valves and we had already closed the valve on the rear tank when water started coming out of the vent. Sure enough as the front tank filled water started coming out of the vent which had never happened before. So obviously the rear tank was full and with this method it forced water into the front tank and filled it. We then closed the valve on the front tank. Then checked the water gauge and it showed full. It only showed half full before filling the front tank. Anyway long story short your method worked and I am very thankful for your suggestion! I will remember to open both valves when we reach our camping destination to allow for venting. Steve

You're setup should now work fine. I only have a single tank in my 337RLS 5er and was having the same issue... losing water while traveling. I tried the remedy of installing a PEX T fitting and running the vent pipe to the front of the RV and up into the propane compartment... It didn't work. The problem was that running PEX from the tank overflow located behind the rear axle all the way to the front of the RV then up about 2' caused what was essentially a very long pipe trap. I had extremely low water flow because the pump struggled to pull air past that water trap. I ended up repiping everything and just installing the ball valve on the tanks overflow line. Remembering to open the valve isn't hard... especially with a reminder tag on the Nautilus valve. While I was doing this modification I decided to relocate the overflow valve and the 1½" FW dump valve out from behind the rear wheel by mounting an aluminum angle to the rear stabilizer jack and attaching everything there.
    It's much easier on the old back to access these valves... they've worked flawlessly since installed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20211011-223624_Photos.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	39196
    Last edited by IBEW Sparky; 03-04-2022 at 06:35 AM.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
    Unfortunately it's a very common problem. The vent/overflow lines are notorious for siphoning water out of the tanks. A few different ways to deal with it. Grand Design has changed the way they vent now but it would involve dropping the chloroplast and replumbing the vent lines. I opted for adding 3/4" sharkbite ball valves to the overflows on our Momentum 31G. Readily available at lowers etc... There are 2 tanks. When filling once it starts siphoning from the front tank you can close that vent and that will allow the rear tank to fill. Once it starts coming out the rear overflow you can stop filling and close that valve. I can get over 90 gallons in mine using this method. It is imperative that the valves be opened once you are at your destination to allow the tanks to vent before using water or risk damaging the tanks. We're able go retain 100% of our water using this method.

Hi Terry, quick question for you on this. When I fill up my tanks, the rear tank is the first one that starts to leak it is closest to the axles, and IÂ’ve noticed that when I fill up the water tank and itÂ’s level, listen back one towards the axles starts to leak first. I will then raise up the driver side and continue to fill slowly and then eventually the front take closest to the truck starts to leak. I just want to make sure that the rear tank which is closest to the axles is the main one that fills up and then it spills off into the second tank which is located at the front. I hope that makes sense, sir.

Thank you, and I hope you had a nice memorial day weekend

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbmracn12 View Post
    Hi Terry, quick question for you on this. When I fill up my tanks, the rear tank is the first one that starts to leak it is closest to the axles, and IÂ’ve noticed that when I fill up the water tank and itÂ’s level, listen back one towards the axles starts to leak first. I will then raise up the driver side and continue to fill slowly and then eventually the front take closest to the truck starts to leak. I just want to make sure that the rear tank which is closest to the axles is the main one that fills up and then it spills off into the second tank which is located at the front. I hope that makes sense, sir.

Thank you, and I hope you had a nice memorial day weekend
    Sorry, I don't know what the configuration is of where the fresh water is pulled from the tanks. I'm assuming it's being pulled from both tanks at the same time. Perhaps someone will chime in that knows for sure. When you are filling, both tanks are filling at the same time but rear fills completely before the front on mine as well. I just close the ball valve on the rear overflow when it starts to pour out and the front will take a bit more water before it starts to overflow.
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2021 20' Haulmark Edge race trailer
    '17 Ram CCLB 3500 dually 6.7 turbo
    '96 Chevy C3500 CC dually 454
    2019 Honda Talon X
    1985 Honda FL350R Odyssey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
    Sorry, I don't know what the configuration is of where the fresh water is pulled from the tanks. I'm assuming it's being pulled from both tanks at the same time. Perhaps someone will chime in that knows for sure. When you are filling, both tanks are filling at the same time but rear fills completely before the front on mine as well. I just close the ball valve on the rear overflow when it starts to pour out and the front will take a bit more water before it starts to overflow.
    Thanks Terry

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2022 21g with dual tanks .It has 2 vent lines per tank .Do people still have proplems with this new set up ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pls help. My 2018 Granddesign imagine is parked on my yard for the past 12 months. I hooked up the city water to the RV and leave it on all these time. Water keeps running out of the overflow valve often every hour. Am I not supposed to hook up water and leave it on like that? Pls help. Thanh you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My water bill is skyrocketing. Pls help anyone. I am desperate. Merry Christmas everybody

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast