User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Texas Law and Andersen Hitch

So, I've been towing with the Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel hitch since 2018 and so far like it. But it covers the pucks on my Ram so I'm stuck looping the chains onto the Andersen itself. My questions are how would that work if I have to get it inspected here in Texas or go for my nonCDL Class A test here?
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7803/4...56f2161a_m.jpg

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andersen has a triangular plate that installs on the gooseneck ball under the hitch to anchor the chains.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use it and it works very well.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    Andersen has a triangular plate that installs on the gooseneck ball under the hitch to anchor the chains.
    ^^This^^ Go to their website and you will see it.
    2022 GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    2023 North Point 310RLTS
    MSG Retired Army

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chemist308 View Post
    So, I've been towing with the Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel hitch since 2018 and so far like it. But it covers the pucks on my Ram so I'm stuck looping the chains onto the Andersen itself. My questions are how would that work if I have to get it inspected here in Texas or go for my nonCDL Class A test here?
    Are you currently in Texas? Send me a private message if you wish.
    2019 Momentum 351M, Disc Brakes, Roadmaster Slipper Springs/shocks
    2018 F-450 Ruby Red
    B&W 25K Hitch
    2015 H-D Road Glide CVO / B&W Biker Bar

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chemist308 View Post
    This is not a Texas requirement but a federal requirement. It is unlawful to not secure gooseneck and be without the chain hooks mounted to frame of vehicle. As far as inspection thing goes, I haven't had an inspection place look at truck for trailer inspection, only trailer separately so it shouldn't be an issue. YMMV.

For the Non CDL A test, my instructor did not even look at my hitch or even the trailer nor even have me have to inspect trailer at all pre road test. She was more concerned with driving only. Again, YMMV.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was a PITA, but I got the chain hooks installed. All I had to do is cut the pins that keep them from turning out a little bit so they would fit.
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Texas.Yankee View Post
    This is not a Texas requirement but a federal requirement. It is unlawful to not secure gooseneck and be without the chain hooks mounted to frame of vehicle. As far as inspection thing goes, I haven't had an inspection place look at truck for trailer inspection, only trailer separately so it shouldn't be an issue. YMMV.

For the Non CDL A test, my instructor did not even look at my hitch or even the trailer nor even have me have to inspect trailer at all pre road test. She was more concerned with driving only. Again, YMMV.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    The examiner for my Class A license looked very closely at the hitch, breakaway cable, etc., and checked all the lights on the trailer before we pulled out for the driving test. He also looked at the weight stickers on both the truck and trailer. This was at the El Paso northwest location. Perhaps he was just one of those by-the-book people, but you never know who you're going to run up against.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also decided to skip the class a test and bought a SRW truck, GVWR 11,8. That brings me under 26000.

Here’s why. The wonderful folks at the Spring mega center near where I was decided that I needed an exam that relied heavily on knowledge of air brakes. Not surprisingly I couldn’t get 80% on that. I did pass the one I was actually supposed to take, but the other one with all the air brake questions I could not. So thanks Texas…. I now have a 3500 SRW with over 3700# payload, that’s loaded and tows well enough. I have enough truck for what I tow, and I’m still legally a class C. Just 20k further in debt. Didn’t have much choice because my job needed me elsewhwere and I didn’t have the time to stay and get the cdl that the Spring DPS mega center was trying to stick me with.

Had I known this would happen I would have domiciled elsewhere. If the sum of your camper and truck gvwrs exceed 26,000# it might be worth skipping Texas. Wish the hell I had.
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^The problem is that the DMV employees are just as confused about RV license requirements as the customers are. Hence the answers and license requirements needed are all based on interpretation by each individual DMV employee. Some know, some think they know and some just make s**t up as they go along. It’s highly unlikely the air brake test requirement was actually required but the misinformed employee decided it was and that’s it; your screwed.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast