User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TPMS saves the day

I had a couple extra TST507 cap sensors so I installed them on my snowmobile trailer. Last Friday we were heading to a friends cabin when the monitor alerted me to a fast leak. As luck would have it, we were right next to a parking lot so I pulled into the lot to change the tire.

I hope I never get an alarm on the 5er but it’s good to know that the system works. And it saved me from changing the tire on a dark narrow county road in the middle of nowhere.

It convinced my wife that some of the gadgets that I buy are actually useful!
    Mark & Megan & Levi (our floppy eared four legged furry friend)
    2019 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax
    B & W Companion

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Mark, so glad it worked out. Blowouts are bad enough, but on utility, travel trailers and fivers, it can wreak havoc. Glad you got through it safe!
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I need to replace my TPMS, last we had a blow out (we heard it go) on our 337, TPMS didn't go off for another 10 minutes. . . . . .
    Joe & Dee
    Ontario, Ohio
    2018 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Duramax Crew Cab SRW Short Bed Payload 3523#
    2019 Reflection 337RLS bought February 2019 Dry Pin Weight = 2,320#, UVW = 11,100#
    Hitch - PullRite Super Glide 2700 - 16K
    Bed Cover - Roll-N-Lock
    TPMS - Tire Tracker TT-500 (non flow thru)
    Rear Observation Camera - Rear View Safety model RVS-155W-FB (2400-2500MHZ)

2017 303RLS bought April 2017 / Traded February 2019

Map represents States visited with our 303RLS /337RLS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theclarks View Post
    I think I need to replace my TPMS, last we had a blow out (we heard it go) on our 337, TPMS didn't go off for another 10 minutes. . . . . .
    Can you pass on the name of the system? Knowing what works well, and what doesn't, helps everyone.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Can you pass on the name of the system? Knowing what works well, and what doesn't, helps everyone.
    Tire Tracker TT-500 (non flow thru), it's also in my signature . . . . .
    Joe & Dee
    Ontario, Ohio
    2018 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Duramax Crew Cab SRW Short Bed Payload 3523#
    2019 Reflection 337RLS bought February 2019 Dry Pin Weight = 2,320#, UVW = 11,100#
    Hitch - PullRite Super Glide 2700 - 16K
    Bed Cover - Roll-N-Lock
    TPMS - Tire Tracker TT-500 (non flow thru)
    Rear Observation Camera - Rear View Safety model RVS-155W-FB (2400-2500MHZ)

2017 303RLS bought April 2017 / Traded February 2019

Map represents States visited with our 303RLS /337RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About 17 years ago my wife decided to stay at home with out 2-year old while I took our 6 & 8 year olds camping. We went to Colorado from Texas. On the trip back home, I stopped at a pizza joint in Dumas, Texas for some lunch. The kids and I piled out of the vehicle and started walking inside. I turned to have a look at the rig and ... I couldn't believe what I saw: the front tire was there but the rear tire and wheel were GONE. I just stood there dumbfounded and looked for a minute. I walked over to the trailer and three of the lug bolts were missing and the remaining ones were bent. This was on a 36' travel trailer.

It's a really long story what happened next and I won't bore you with all the details, but I had to get new lug bolts (in Amarillo several miles away) and replace the tire. I had to order a replacement aluminum wheel. After that, I always used a TPMS and I'm sure glad the other tire didn't blow.
    Steve & Lori Hicks and Luna, the wonder dog - Liberty Hill, Tx
    2022 Solitude 390RK-R
    2022 3500 Ram Limited Longhorn Mega Cab 4x4 SRW - 6.7L HO Cummins with Aisin Tranny
    N5AC

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xxn5ac View Post
    About 17 years ago my wife decided to stay at home with out 2-year old while I took our 6 & 8 year olds camping. We went to Colorado from Texas. On the trip back home, I stopped at a pizza joint in Dumas, Texas for some lunch. The kids and I piled out of the vehicle and started walking inside. I turned to have a look at the rig and ... I couldn't believe what I saw: the front tire was there but the rear tire and wheel were GONE. I just stood there dumbfounded and looked for a minute. I walked over to the trailer and three of the lug bolts were missing and the remaining ones were bent. This was on a 36' travel trailer.

It's a really long story what happened next and I won't bore you with all the details, but I had to get new lug bolts (in Amarillo several miles away) and replace the tire. I had to order a replacement aluminum wheel. After that, I always used a TPMS and I'm sure glad the other tire didn't blow.
    Well, depending on the TPMS brand, it may not have done any good. The TST brand has an hour delay between when the monitor loses the signal from the sensor, and alerting you to that fact. That's something to be aware of.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xxn5ac View Post

Same thing happened to me, and I had TPMS installed, but didn't make a difference. By design the sensors read pressure and temperature every second, but only transmit every 30 minutes or so to save battery. The receiver usually waits until two missed "check-ins", so up to an hour, before it will state Sensor Missing error. So if the wheel goes flying off but the pressure on the tire was ok when it left, the TPMS receiver won't know about it.
    So in my situation, nearly the same as yours, we pulled into the campsite only to notice our front left wheel was completely missing, along with all the lug nuts. The bolts were fine. About 30 minutes later, just as I finished installing the spare tire, the TPMS finally alerted me to the missing sensor. My issue was I didn't properly torque the nuts down earlier that year when I serviced the wet bolts, so the nuts worked themselves loose over the next couple months.
    2017 F150 Lariat 3.5 EB
    2020 Imagine 2400BH

retired: 2016 Starcraft 19BHS & 2004 Fleetwood Mesa

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I asked the TPMS manufacturer about this, (TireMinder) and they said they could design a system in which the sensors are constantly transmitting to the receiver, but then the batteries would either be big enough to throw off the balance of your tires, or you'd be changing the current sized batteries every few days. At least they were nice enough to send me a replacement TPMS transmitter for free.

Either way, I've now learned to check the torque on the nuts before every trip.
    2017 F150 Lariat 3.5 EB
    2020 Imagine 2400BH

retired: 2016 Starcraft 19BHS & 2004 Fleetwood Mesa

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tonygoncalves View Post
    Either way, I've now learned to check the torque on the nuts before every trip.
    Yeah it's a hard lesson to learn for some When I was a kid -- maybe 13 or 14 -- we were driving a pop-up through the mountains in Colorado and lost a wheel. Of course there was only one on that side of the trailer so the rotor and axle hit the pavement, carved a nice slot into the asphalt and broke the flooring in the trailer. What a mess. And still I didn't torque my lug nuts as an adult. My mom constantly tells me "check your lug nuts." Well with our new GD 390RK, I went ahead and purchased a torque wrench and a breaker bar and will carry them with me!
    Steve & Lori Hicks and Luna, the wonder dog - Liberty Hill, Tx
    2022 Solitude 390RK-R
    2022 3500 Ram Limited Longhorn Mega Cab 4x4 SRW - 6.7L HO Cummins with Aisin Tranny
    N5AC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast