User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2400BH Flat Leaf Springs

After purchasing a 2400BH a little over a year ago and pulling it about 6,000 miles last year, I have started preparing for some suspension upgrades. I will upgrade to the 225/75R15 Goodyear Endurance E-rated tires, add the Morryde CRE3000, add the Morryde X-factor crossmember and (I thought) sumo springs. I got under the trailer today to check measurements on the sumo springs and they barely fit in place with NO mounting bracket! My leaf springs are almost flat and a couple are starting to have a hint of a W. I only attached one picture, but all four look pretty similar to this one. I have the 3500# 3" Dexter 4440558 axles, so these should be 1750# springs. I travel very close to the maximum GVWR, so I usually have ~6,800 pounds on these, but they are not overloaded and I didn't have any harsh terrain last year, so I'm not sure why these springs have gone so fast. I'm thinking of moving to a 2,000# rated spring. Any thoughts on that? (I realize my GVWR and axles ratings will remain the same, but I'm really concerned about how quickly these got so flat.) Also, because they are so flat, it's hard to get a good measurement. Anyone with a 2400BH sympathetic enough to measure theirs? Also, any worries about reusing the u-bolts, nuts and plates if I change out these springs?

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20220305_151437.jpg  
    2021 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 1346# payload
    2021 Grand Design 2400BH

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't help you with your issue but I have read on here some members experiencing flat springs due to inferior made in China products being used. These were corrected by going to your local truck and trailer shop to get new leafs at the same rating but superior build. They will also have or make the ubolts you need. For the small extra cost, I'd replace them. Some say that anything that got torqued down shouldn't be reused. Wheels being the exception I guess.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As @Ynot4me2 said, this is not all that uncommon for the OEM leaf springs. I would recommend not going more than a few hundred pounds above the original rating, though. Replacement springs with higher quality steel with be fine and not subject the coach to the extra stresses of being over-sprung and too stiff.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattoest View Post
    ... My leaf springs are almost flat and a couple are starting to have a hint of a W. I only attached one picture, but all four look pretty similar to this one....
    Forgive the newbie question, but what should I be looking for on my 2021, 22MLE with the same miles on her? Although I kind of see the "W" but could that be caused due to the rig not sitting on level ground? From my untrained eye, I do not see anything wrong, but obviously there is.
    Mitch and Alisa Frank
    2020 Imagine XLS 22 MLE
    2020 RAM 2500 Diesel

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you saying you don't see anything wrong with the OP's photo? If that's it, then those springs should have a definite arch to them, instead of being flat like they are.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrffrank440 View Post
    Forgive the newbie question, but what should I be looking for on my 2021, 22MLE with the same miles on her? Although I kind of see the "W" but could that be caused due to the rig not sitting on level ground? From my untrained eye, I do not see anything wrong, but obviously there is.
    Post a pic and we will help you determine if they're flat or not. In the OP pic, you can really tell that they are flat (straight).

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattoest View Post
    After purchasing a 2400BH a little over a year ago and pulling it about 6,000 miles last year, I have started preparing for some suspension upgrades. I will upgrade to the 225/75R15 Goodyear Endurance E-rated tires, add the Morryde CRE3000, add the Morryde X-factor crossmember and (I thought) sumo springs. I got under the trailer today to check measurements on the sumo springs and they barely fit in place with NO mounting bracket! My leaf springs are almost flat and a couple are starting to have a hint of a W. I only attached one picture, but all four look pretty similar to this one. I have the 3500# 3" Dexter 4440558 axles, so these should be 1750# springs. I travel very close to the maximum GVWR, so I usually have ~6,800 pounds on these, but they are not overloaded and I didn't have any harsh terrain last year, so I'm not sure why these springs have gone so fast. I'm thinking of moving to a 2,000# rated spring. Any thoughts on that? (I realize my GVWR and axles ratings will remain the same, but I'm really concerned about how quickly these got so flat.) Also, because they are so flat, it's hard to get a good measurement. Anyone with a 2400BH sympathetic enough to measure theirs? Also, any worries about reusing the u-bolts, nuts and plates if I change out these springs?

Thanks.
    Do you have tire rub under the wheel wells? I had a 2018 2800bh with similar leaf spring issues and that caused the tire to hit the wheel well on occasion. Wore the wheel well down to the flooring.
    2020 Grand Design 2670MK
    2020 Ford f250 6.2, 4x4.
    ProPride hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. Surprisingly, there is still 2.5 inches clearance. My trailerr has a thin metal liner above the wheels and there is no indication of contact.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The minimum is 3" according to Dexter's manual.
    Last edited by huntindog; 03-10-2022 at 12:28 PM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast