User Tag List

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bathroom Pocket door Fixed - thanks youtube!

Well, after more than two years of the bathroom pocket door hanging at an angle, I finally decided maybe YouTube had the answer. I don't know why, but YouTube is never my first source of information, maybe it's my age... Anyway, the door has been hanging at an angle when retracted into the opening for at least two years, maybe since the beginning. It has always worked fine but looked ugly. When closed it was nice and level. I had seen on one of the forums that this was not uncommon to happen and was usually caused by the screws holding the track in place coming out, or not there at all. My issue has been how to get back in there to look. I had made a modification to the bottom of the linen cupboard which hid the screws holding it in place so I could not go through there (thank goodness!).
    While at the NY Rally last year I asked one of the Techs about it during their question-and-answer session. He explained how to get the door out of the way to look, and basically said I could then reach back into the space to fix it. Now comes the YouTube part. He did not say how to get the door off, only to remove the cover board on either side. After watching a couple of YouTube videos I saw the at the process was pretty simple. The thing that got my attention the most was in the one video the method the person used to put screws in at the back of the track. To get the door off, after removing the decorative cover boards was simply a matter of "unlocking" the rollers from the door. There are levers on top of the door to hold the roller bracket in place. The slide the nuts out of the bracket and remove the door. With the door gone and using a flashlight I was able to see that one screw just inside of the pocket space was not tight. I tightened it down with my small 12V impact. The back hole had never had anything in it. I accomplished this fix by assembling a series of extensions along with my 8" square drive (the screws are square drive), making and extension. This was what the person on you tube had done. One thing that he did not do, that I did, was tape all of the joints together and tape it to the impact. He had purchased an adapter to hold the screw in place when reaching back into the pocket. I pushed the screw through a piece od electrical tape to secure it to the bit, and also wrapped a piece of tape about that. I was able to reach the hole in the track and put the screw in with no issue at all. All in all about 1/2 hour from start to finish, and now the door is fixed!!! Even though the videos did not show my exact problem (the videos were of home pocket doors) they did get the thought process going. Now, until something else breaks...
    Last edited by SGT ROC; 03-08-2022 at 12:42 PM.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Link to video?
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    Link to video?
    Here ya go. Hope it helps! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYb_Unkg9nU
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, a lot of ingenuity there. This sort of practical knowledge can keep me camping and out of the dealer's lot (waiting for repair).
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Bob, thanks for the info. It seems like a simple fix.

My model, 22RBE does not have a concealed pocket so it may be easier. It is more of a barn style door.

A few questions.

1. Did the screws go through the metal track and the wood, then into the ceiling?

2. How did you ascertain there was something solid, not just ⅛ inch ceiling, you were screwing into?

3. How long were the screws that go into the ceiling?

Thanks,
    Another old guy,
    Mark

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PapiGG View Post
    Hi Bob, thanks for the info. It seems like a simple fix.

My model, 22RBE does not have a concealed pocket so it may be easier. It is more of a barn style door.

A few questions.

1. Did the screws go through the metal track and the wood, then into the ceiling?

2. How did you ascertain there was something solid, not just ⅛ inch ceiling, you were screwing into?

3. How long were the screws that go into the ceiling?

Thanks,
    Another old guy,
    Mark
    I'll take the questions in order, and I hope they help.
    1. Yes, there are slotted holes in the track, and a wood piece secured to the ceiling.
    2. I could see the wood piece. Understand that mine was a concealed pocket door, therefore the wood piece was easily seen on the ceiling . It was a piece of 3/4 pine.
    3. I use some 1.5 inch square drive screws, the same as they used. They are the ones use in the Krieg pocket hole system https://smile.amazon.com/SML-F150-Po...%2C115&sr=8-16.

Hope this helps. If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB