User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Automatic Transfer Switch - Best Choice?

With spring on the way here in New Hampshire, I've been working on getting my solar system ready. I'm planning on using a 3000-watt inverter. The advice I got from GD was to place the inverter and an automatic transfer switch in the front compartment, this is their "inverter prep."
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220310_212906878e.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	39319
    GD says to cut the cable (see arrow above) and wire the ATS and the inverter in there. I have a few questions:
    1. What ATS would you recommend?
    2. Should the ATS be 50 Amps or 30 Amps?
    3. Do you have any pictures of your own installation?

Any help gratefully accepted.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd recommend an inverter with a built-in ATS. Maybe something from Magnum or maybe Victron. Others will soon chime in.

What does that GD pre-installed line feed?
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Victron Multiplus line-up is the cream of the crop. They'll have the built-in inverter, ATS, fuse, BT for monitoring. Everything you need in 1 box. If you want separate pieces, Go Power seems to be a well reviewed one for RVs. Don't forget to add a fuse.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I'd recommend an inverter with a built-in ATS. Maybe something from Magnum or maybe Victron. Others will soon chime in.

What does that GD pre-installed line feed?
    Thanks, I've already got the inverter, or I would consider the integrated ones such as the Victron. GD suggested that line is the shore power lead so I'm assuming it goes to the main panel.
    Stephen and Judy

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    The Victron Multiplus line-up is the cream of the crop. They'll have the built-in inverter, ATS, fuse, BT for monitoring. Everything you need in 1 box. If you want separate pieces, Go Power seems to be a well reviewed one for RVs. Don't forget to add a fuse.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Thanks, yes, I've been looking at the GoPower. And absolutely this will be fused.
    Stephen and Judy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am wondering the same thing, what exactly does the inverter prep power? Why is one "dead" and the other live when you cut it. I can't find a good explanation other that it won't power everything, but what DOES it power?

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmdomokos View Post
    I am wondering the same thing, what exactly does the inverter prep power? Why is one "dead" and the other live when you cut it. I can't find a good explanation other that it won't power everything, but what DOES it power?
    I ended up ordering the factory solar option w/ 3000w inverter and GDRV installed a Magnum Dimensions inverter and Magnum CSW-TS15 ATS. In my coach, that wire they're telling you to cut runs from a 'subpanel 20a breaker' in my main panel into the ATS, and runs back out to the actual subpanel which has 3x 15a circuits - two for various outlets and one labeled refrigerator. Not sure if this link will work, but the ATS manual has a great wiring diagram for how their inverter prep should work. https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/si...W-TS15-Web.pdf

I'm in the process of installing a Victron Multiplus ii now and will be removing the breakers in the main panel for the converter & subpanel, then moving the 3 breakers from the subpanel to the main so that everything in the coach can run on battery.
    Matt & Danielle
    2022 F350 DRW Platinum 6.7L
    2022 Solitude 382WB-R, 8k Morryde IS/Disc, DPW, FBP, 5.5kw Onan, 1kAh BB, Victron MPii 2x120
    Engineer, Cattle Rancher/Grass Farmer, Aviator

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    I've been looking at the GoPower.
    Ended up with the Xantrex 8080915 PROwatt SW Auto Transfer Switch (see it here).
    Stephen and Judy

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't trust me, I'm just another butcher on the internet, but if you have a 3000w inverter and you are planning all that potential current going through that switch, it's not big enough.

Super simple calculations with some extra cushion, you should have a 30A switch and a 300amp cables going to the inverter. Again, don't trust me.

I have purchased a switch and my concern that many of them have a delay for a generator. Some of the switches have a delay switch, some don't. Mine does not, but if I wire it up backwards [no, I have not done this yet] then the delay will be on the shore side. I'm ok with that.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your reply @Butcher. Actually, only half of the inverter power would be going through this switch. The way the inverter prep goes, there are just two breakers serviced by the orange wires (Romex I believe) in the photo above. The inverter I have (the Renogy 3,000 watt full sine wave) splits the power between two plugs. I'll only be using one of them. There is an option to use the full 3,000 watts which I might explore at some point in the future. That would require a lot more investigation and wiring than I have time for right now. I might add another Xantrex ATS if I could figure out a way to power the air conditioner with it on its own dedicated circuit (planning on adding Softstart).
    Stephen and Judy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast