User Tag List

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bricknhank View Post
    Greetings from a newbie to the RV life, Grand Design and the forum. I just picked up my new GD Imagine 2600rb last week. My tow vehicle is a 2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn with a 5.7 Hemi and a 3:21 gear. As you may know the trailer is 5800lbs dry and a gross wt of 7850lbs. My maiden voyage picking up the trailer was disappointing. I have an equalizer hitch so there was no squat or sway but I quickly determined that the 1500 was inadequate. The truck was constantly in 4th gear sometimes 5th and winding a lot of RPM’s, and of course this was dry with no load in the truck or the trailer on flat IL roads. And yes, I was using tow/haul. In fairness to me (and the truck) when I bought the truck in 2020 I had no idea that I would be considering jumping into the RV arena. I love the GD Imagine and can’t wait until then weather breaks so we can start camping but I am in the market for a 3/4 ton truck. I’m leaning towards An F-250 but weighing out all of my options.

First off, if money is not an issue, then buy the 3/4 or 1 ton vehicle and get on with your travels.
    If you want to drive 70-80 mph on a regular basis while towing, then buy the bigger vehicle.

I'm sure many people will not like this response but: why is running extra RPMs bad? I drive a Toyota Tundra; 5.7l with 4.3 rear differential, 6 speed transmission. At first I was somewhat concerned about the truck running in lower gears (higher RPM) while towing, like 4th and often 3rd when going up hill. I spent some time pondering what was going on and came to these conclusions.

1. My truck is designed to run at 6000 rpm all day, but I'm not crazy about listening to it, but I'm not hurting the truck at 4000-4500 rpm.
    2. I'm more likely to damage the transmission by overheating the fluid than any other component of the vehicle.
    3. My Tundra does not have a transmission temperature gauge.
    4. I purchased a ScanGauge II scanner that plugs into my OBDII port. I had to re-program it to monitor transmission temperature, but it does that automatically on most vehicles. Amazon sell them for $159. But, there are many other OBDII devices on the market, this one works for me. The digital transmission temp readout on the ScanGauge is way better than an analog gauge that's installed in the truck that can be off my 20-30 degrees F.
    5. I picked 218 degrees F as my absolute max temperature I would want to run the transmission for long periods of time. At 218 I will never overheat and burn the fluid.
    6. I try and keep the transmission fluid under 210 degrees, but it will go over when I cross the continental divide (which I've done many times).
    7. I don't care about my speed, I don't care about the speed limit, I don't care how long it takes to get from point A to B; I only care about transmission fluid temperature.

8. I've set the OBDII scanner to constantly monitor 1) transmission temperature; 2) throttle position; 3) instantaneous MPG; 4) Engine Horse Power
    (There are about 25 different features you can monitor, you might find others you prefer. The scanner will display what gear your are driving in, I'd like that feature but
    it doesn't do that for Tundra).

9. So here's what I've learned after towing for about 15,000 miles with my trailer and crossing the continental divide 8 times. The Tundra computer shifts gears to minimize horse power and maximize fuel consumption. By monitoring the four items I listed above, I find the truck driving in lower gears when driving into strong head winds and uphill. The truck will often get better gas mileage by 2-3 MPG when driving in 4th gear vs 5th gear. Often I will manually downshift from 5th to 4th or from 4th to 3rd gear and I immediately see the transmission temperature drop from 218 to 210 and MPG increase. When going over the continental divide, I often drop down to 40 mph and 3rd gear and follow semis to keep my transmission temp down and get better mileage. Sure, people with 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks towing trailers pass me all the time. But the trip from Denver to Eisenhower tunnel is only about 2 hours for me and maybe 1 hr 20 min for those driving faster, so I see it as a small sacrifice and I'm putting way less wear on my vehicle.

When I'm not towing I don't have to deal with the harsh ride of the 3/4 - 1 ton truck; and I get better mileage with my 1/2 ton. If you're NOT going to buy a 1 ton (dually) then I suggest you add TPMS valve stem caps to your rear truck tires and trailer tires, you can monitor if a tire is stating to go down or overheating, much safer.

My experience using the ScanGuage II:
    - without the trailer my truck transmission usually runs at 194 deg F. While towing, usually 206 deg F. Uphill & strong headwind, 212 is common.
    - without towing my truck usually generates about 85 - 110 hp at 70mph. While towing level, 110-120hp at 63 mph, Uphill & strong headwind, 145-160 hp at 40-50 mph.
    - Throttle position changes automatically to maintain cruise contrl speed and when not possible it downshifts to 4th gear. If the trans starts to heat up I manually downshift to 3rd gear to cool the trans. Gas mileage sucks at this point.

Lastly RPM - without trailer cruising in 5-6 gear at about 2100 - 1900 rpm.
    Towing on level ground 5th gear 2200 - 2400 rpm.
    Headwind or uphill, 4th gear 2900 - 3100 rpm. If the trans heats up to 215-218 downshift to 3rd.
    In 3rd gear rpm is 3600-4000 rpm.

I just came home from Yuma to Kansas (1300 miles, often head wind and I mostly drove in 4th gear, sometimes 40mph headwinds. Mileage wasn't good but the transmission temp never got above 215 degrees F and I maintained 63 mph all the time (except for towns).

So, if you have money or are in a hurry then you might get a new truck. Maybe, before buying a new truck, buy an OBDII scanner and profile your vehicle.
    Maybe you don't need a new truck.

Happy travels, Dustin
    Dustin and Doris

2018 2600RB
    2016 Tundra: 5.7L with towing package.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have 2021 2600RB and pull with a 2018 Ford Expedition RV with the tow package. Have had no problems going through the mountains of ID and OR, even during the heatwave of last summer in the Northwest.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the 3 21 rear end your towing is rated at 8080 lbs you are at the max or over now the 392 rear end with tow package is 11280 if you are going to trade yes go and a little over board study the different between a gas and diesel the 6.3 ram 2500 gas is a lot less than the cummings

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't like the revs then don't get a 3/4-1 ton gas truck. They will rev just as much. Had a 6.4 Hemi in a Ram 2500 with 4.10 gears pulling 9600lbs. It rev'd as much as any other gasser I've owned and never went by a gas station it didn't want to stop at.
    Had a diesel before the 2500 and after 2 seasons went back to diesel. Way better mpg's and a nice quiet ride that pulls like a freight train.

Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We purchased our 2600RB in Nov 2019 (2020 model). We pulled with a 2019 F-150 Lairiat 5.0L V8 and 3.55 rear end. We made a trip out west and the truck could pull fine, but when we hit 6-7 degree climbs, we went from 65mph to 15mph and second gear. Downhill was always downshift and take it easy with the brakes. Our last trip with the F-150 had my wife very uncomfortable with the cross winds. We upgraded to a 2020 custom order F-250 Lariat with 6.7L diesel, 3.55 rear end, and the difference is night and day. First our payload with the max towing went up over 1400LBs. The ride was more comfortable (not being knocked around by wind and passing semis). Our mileage went from 8.2 mpg to 13.4 mpg driving at 62mph in both vehicles. The 13.4 mpg includes mountain driving. The mountain pass that had use down to 15 mph in the F-150 was 65 mph at the bottom of the 5 mile 7 degree climb and 65 mph at the top. Downhill with engine braking, I only tapped the brakes once. World of difference and safety.

Something to keep in mind. The F-250 is the heaviest truck you can get without having to pay higher licensing fees in most states (max gross weight is 10K. Above that you pay a lot more). Best example I can give is in Arizona, F-350 (1 ton truck) plates are something more than twice the price of a F-250 (it's been years since I licensed a truck in AZ). In some states, a 1 ton is a commercial truck . Since you are located in the Chicago area, it will be a real bit to go up to a F-350 (another reason I left that area for other climes).

Yes a 250 rides rough when empty, but a 350 is worse. The big difference between the two is the F-350 has a heavier frame, giving it more payload.
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got the same exact trailer (2020) and I pull it with a 2013 Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton with a 5.3 liter. My towing capacity is much less than yours at 9600. If my research with Ram is correct yours is 11,000 plus. Just wondering what your RPM's are while you're towing? On level ground mine is just about 2800. But it doesn't take much to kick into a lower gear and jump up. I remember bringing my 2600 rb home for the first time and I thought the same thing. My RPM's are too high! I'm gonna blow the tranny! We've made a mistake buying this thing cause now I need to buy a $60,000 truck! Oh crap, what have I done!
    We spent a month in Montana, Wyoming, Idaho last summer into the Rockies and my power was only an issue two times during a very steep and long grade. But you just take it slow and steady and the turtle will win the race. I was skeptical when we left and fully prepared to buy a new truck out west if need be, but the Chevy did the job adequately.
    I like Ram trucks and owned a 2011 years back and it was my favorite truck. But I think you may be expecting too much from your Ram. Your RPM's are gonna be high and your gas mileage is gonna suck. Probably around 9-10 MPG on level ground but that is all part of it. I wouldn't spend the money on a bigger truck (certainly not a 1 ton) until you've taken some trips and experienced it fully. (Unless you just want a new truck, which is always understandable.)
    One other thing people don't realize is that while weight does play a factor, wind drag is huge on your tow vehicle. Example, I have a 16' enclosed utility trailer that I've used for many things including moving my kids when they were in college. I drove from Adrian MI to Grand Rapids, MI (2.5 hours) many times with it. Towing it full of furniture and household stuff I got 10MPG. Guess what I got towing it the same distance empty.....10MPG! Just because of the wind drag. The weight in it had nothing to do with it. And that was with a V nose trailer which you'd think would cut the wind better than a flat one.
    By the way, we love our 2600rb. Its perfect for the wife and I. We're wintering outside Phoenix AZ and its been great for us. I hope you two are as happy with it as we have been. Great product too. No problems (fingers crossed). Stick with the Ram for this season and see what you think at the end. I think you'll rethink your position.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a several mile 6-7% grade pull coming today that will take me from around 1500 to 5200 feet of elevation. Mix of interstate and two-track. This is with a 5.3L with 3.55 rear end and the 8 speed. It'll be about an 8-10 MPH headwind. Will report back how we do. This is the first mountain test of this truck/trailer combo.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pull a ~6500lb 221RB with a Tundra. I find it tiring driving up and down the hills in just tow haul mode. Locking out 5th and 6th gear makes for a much more pleasant tow. Rather than the transmission constantly downshifting and upshifting the transmission very rarely has to downshift. At 65 mph the rpms are 3,000 which is no problem.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorJoe View Post
    I've got the same exact trailer (2020) and I pull it with a 2013 Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton with a 5.3 liter. My towing capacity is much less than yours at 9600. If my research with Ram is correct yours is 11,000 plus. Just wondering what your RPM's are while you're towing? On level ground mine is just about 2800. But it doesn't take much to kick into a lower gear and jump up. I remember bringing my 2600 rb home for the first time and I thought the same thing. My RPM's are too high! I'm gonna blow the tranny! We've made a mistake buying this thing cause now I need to buy a $60,000 truck! Oh crap, what have I done!
    We spent a month in Montana, Wyoming, Idaho last summer into the Rockies and my power was only an issue two times during a very steep and long grade. But you just take it slow and steady and the turtle will win the race. I was skeptical when we left and fully prepared to buy a new truck out west if need be, but the Chevy did the job adequately.
    I like Ram trucks and owned a 2011 years back and it was my favorite truck. But I think you may be expecting too much from your Ram. Your RPM's are gonna be high and your gas mileage is gonna suck. Probably around 9-10 MPG on level ground but that is all part of it. I wouldn't spend the money on a bigger truck (certainly not a 1 ton) until you've taken some trips and experienced it fully. (Unless you just want a new truck, which is always understandable.)
    One other thing people don't realize is that while weight does play a factor, wind drag is huge on your tow vehicle. Example, I have a 16' enclosed utility trailer that I've used for many things including moving my kids when they were in college. I drove from Adrian MI to Grand Rapids, MI (2.5 hours) many times with it. Towing it full of furniture and household stuff I got 10MPG. Guess what I got towing it the same distance empty.....10MPG! Just because of the wind drag. The weight in it had nothing to do with it. And that was with a V nose trailer which you'd think would cut the wind better than a flat one.
    By the way, we love our 2600rb. Its perfect for the wife and I. We're wintering outside Phoenix AZ and its been great for us. I hope you two are as happy with it as we have been. Great product too. No problems (fingers crossed). Stick with the Ram for this season and see what you think at the end. I think you'll rethink your position.
    My capacity is not 11,000 it’s 8100. I don’t necessarily want a new truck, I really like my Ram Longhorn but if we want to enjoy the RV life and go wherever we want to go we are going to need a new truck.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bricknhank View Post
    Greetings from a newbie to the RV life, Grand Design and the forum. I just picked up my new GD Imagine 2600rb last week. My tow vehicle is a 2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn with a 5.7 Hemi and a 3:21 gear. As you may know the trailer is 5800lbs dry and a gross wt of 7850lbs. My maiden voyage picking up the trailer was disappointing. I have an equalizer hitch so there was no squat or sway but I quickly determined that the 1500 was inadequate. The truck was constantly in 4th gear sometimes 5th and winding a lot of RPM’s, and of course this was dry with no load in the truck or the trailer on flat IL roads. And yes, I was using tow/haul. In fairness to me (and the truck) when I bought the truck in 2020 I had no idea that I would be considering jumping into the RV arena. I love the GD Imagine and can’t wait until then weather breaks so we can start camping but I am in the market for a 3/4 ton truck. I’m leaning towards An F-250 but weighing out all of my options.
    I think it's your gear ratio, you need the 3.92 gears to get the 10k-11k tow capacity.
    If you have the 8 speed transmission you should be able to change your gears to get you thru until you purchase a 3/4 ton truck. My momentum 21g weighs more than your trailer and I'm having no trouble towing my toy hauler. Some day I will upgrade to the 3/4 Ram but my 2015 Ram 1500 is working just fine.
    Good luck.
    2022 Momentum 21G
    300ah LiFePo4, 525 watt solar
    2015 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast