Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

379FL Leans on Drivers Side

I purchased the 379FL and never noticed it leaning on the drivers side until the last outing to the lake. This is my second season pulling the unit and swear it hasn't ever leaned before. I noticed the leaning in the rear view mirror of my GMC 3500 Dually while driving. The overhang of the fifth wheel is noticeably closer to the side rail (bed) of the pickup than the other side. I got out to measure it and it was considerably closer to the bed than the other side while it was hooked up with my B&W 3000 hitch. I took it to Transwest to look at it and they said it leans on the right side because that is where the fridge is and the third slide out. In other words, the right side is heavier...I'm not buying it. I have never noticed it leaning before. Has anyone that owns the 379FL noticed this or have the same issue? I am thinking that it is a bad leaf spring under the kitchen side? I am going to have Transwest reinspect it again. I thought maybe it was the pin box, but Transwest said it was level and fine. I am nearing my warranty expiring and afraid I am in a for a big expense if I cannot get it diagnosed properly.

Steve and Lynne
    It sounds like the leaf springs on the low side have lost arch or some of the leaves (leafs?) are broken. If you have friends or family with knowledge of quality auto/truck suspension shops, this would be a way to get it diagnosed. I'm surprised Transwest has this opinion- we're from the Denver area and they have a decent reputation. Their explanation is puzzling- if the leaning is "normal" why don't they all lean? We looked at one at Tarpley in Durango while they were installing axles on our Reflection- that one didn't lean! Of course it was on the 6 point leveling system.

Steve and Lynne
    I found Denver Spring and Suspension on Brighton Boulevard- no personal contact but worth checking out. Definitely call or email Grand Design customer service, they will help!

My shop that I know is high quality is Rocky Mountain Spring and Suspension in Colorado Springs.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 303 and 337 Reflections both lean to the left because that is the slide with the fridge, stove, pantry, fireplace and lots of storage cabinets. The paperwork that came with your trailer from Grand Design should have the original dry weights for each side. Ours is already several hundred pounds heavier on the left side before we fill all the storage spaces on that side. This seems to be considered "normal" for 5th wheels and I can't see any difference in the suspension springs from one side to the other.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Steve and Lynne
    Certainly makes sense, I do remember those weights. I also would agree that the springs look the same from side to side. My experience with our 337 is that it is now on its second set of springs- neither set showed any lean. Maybe Beebomb needs to check out how the 379 is loaded, possibly getting springs built up on the low side. GD will help, in my experience!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree w/Rob.
    My 337RLS is approx. 800# heavier on the street/driver side.
    I don't see a noticeable lean (when towing or set up), but I do notice that the front landing gear and rear stabilizer on that side are approx. 1/2 to 3/4" closer to the ground.
    I would suspect that if it is noticeable to the eye when towing, then there may be a suspension issue or overloading on that side.

K
    Ken & Wilma
    Central Maryland
    2014 Reflection 337RLS #439
    2011 F250 CC 4x4

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ken & Steve:

The "lean to the left" is more noticeable to 303 owners because we don't have the ability to lift with the rear stabilizers, so have to roll the left side up on (usually 1") blocks at nearly every campsite.

I have also noticed that as the springs compress, the tires move further apart. My left side tires run about 3/8" further apart than on the right side. I am somewhat surprised that this is not showing up in tire wear. Having an additional leaf or re-arched springs on the left side would make some sense. I have also considered 1" spacers between axle and spring on the left side only but this would not solve the fore/aft spacing difference.

When towing, I can see the side to side difference in the IRVM because the front of the RV is not precisely parallel to the rear window of the truck. It's a small amount, but always low on the driver's side.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the response. I asked Transwest to check the springs and brackets on the GMC 3500 and the 379FL for a second time. They swear everything checks out. I don't feel comfortable with the distance between the drivers side pickup bed and the fifth wheel. I is only about 4 inches and when I turn into the storage facility, it touches the top of the bed rail. Does anyone own a 2015 GMC Dually that pulls a 379fl with the same problem? I think the only option might be to add air bags to the pickup? Maybe that will help balance out the weight distribution? The reason I bought the 3500 is so I didn't have to deal with airbags. I have not been able to find a pin box that has more horizontal distance on it. The 379fl comes with the trail air roto-flex. The newer B&W hitch (3500) is only about an inch and 1/4 higher than the 3000 Champion currently installed. I also talked to GD customer service again today...Jerry. He said the 379fl does lean to the left (drivers side).

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Beebomb,

Can't you just raise the hitch or lower the pin box to get more box rail to overhang clearance ?
    Does your 379FL tow level (front to back) with the current 4" clearance ?
    Airbags are not going to help this clearance problem . . . might make it worse.
    Can you post a picture of your rig ?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Rob. No, the pin box is as low as it will go and the B&W hitch is as high as it will go. The trailer doesn't ride level (front to back) at this point. The front levelers are closer to the ground in the front compared to the back. Its not bad but it could be better. I'm going to the lake this weekend. I'll post pictures o. Friday or Saturday morning to show you my setup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast