User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am late to the conversation, but my day job is a network engineer. LTE will have 2 antenna’s, and there are 2 COAX connections that are connected to all the junk that is part of the one connect system on top of the cabinets (In the Momentum’s )… I unscrewed those connections from that and extended them to my Nighthawk LTE device, and it for sure helps. I see at least 1 if not 2 more bars regularly. The Winegard 360+ is not your antenna for your LTE device. If you have the Winegard with the LTE modem built into it, that is different and if you have the Winegard that has WIFI is not a good solution. The Winegard WIFI solution adds a ton of latency to your network, so I would not use it for any WIFI…. Let me know if this helps or you have other questions.
    Last edited by msutoad; 03-14-2022 at 05:12 PM.
    2023 Momentum 397TH w/Gen3 Goosebox
    2020 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 F-450 Limited PowerStroke

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This used to be an absolute truth, t-mobile Is probably the number one carrier now with the work they have done. Sprint was a joke, we have T-Mobile and Verizon via visible and the t mobile usually is ten times faster, but it’s good to have both sometimes one works and the other doesn’t. We were going to buy an AT&T plan for the new iPad but the one we were looking at seems to have disappeared.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The T-Mobile network is quite fast yes, However they just don’t have the quantity of towers in comparison to AT&T and Verizon, which is their biggest challenge. AT&T and Verizon in the lower 48 have the best coverage, but not always the best performance. All depends on where you are going and how much speed you need.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msutoad View Post
    I am late to the conversation, but my day job is a network engineer. LTE will have 2 antenna’s, and there are 2 COAX connections that are connected to all the junk that is part of the one connect system on top of the cabinets (In the Momentum’s )… I unscrewed those connections from that and extended them to my Nighthawk LTE device, and it for sure helps. I see at least 1 if not 2 more bars regularly. The Winegard 360+ is not your antenna for your LTE device. If you have the Winegard with the LTE modem built into it, that is different and if you have the Winegard that has WIFI is not a good solution. The Winegard WIFI solution adds a ton of latency to your network, so I would not use it for any WIFI…. Let me know if this helps or you have other questions.
    msutoad, are you aware of this product? I'm thinking of going with this hoping for improved wifi.

https://wifiranger.com/shop/indoor-routers/osprey/

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale B View Post
    msutoad, are you aware of this product? I'm thinking of going with this hoping for improved wifi.

https://wifiranger.com/shop/indoor-routers/osprey/
    I am aware of this product yes. I have never used it, but I have seen it. The specs are inline with what I expect from a device I would want in my RV. It offers the ability to use a cellular modem for WAN/internet access, as well as you could use WIFI-as-WAN. That is important because some of the RV parks have outstanding WIFI, and you can burn their bandwidth instead of your cellular data. My 3 main thoughts with this device are:
    1. If you really want a versatile device, you will want the CAT-12 modem to get the max # of channels, best performance and ease of use... They are out of stock... You can make a CAT 6 modem work most likely depending on what carrier(s) you want to use for the Cellular side.
    2. This is made to mount to the ceiling where your 360+ drops the cables. Not sure of the mounting mechanism, but for me its an eye sore to have that hanging right in plain sight. Maybe there is some fancy mounting that does not look too bad, but... On the ceiling, sheesh...
    3. Because the 360+ only has a single 2.4GHz, your WIFI with this Osprey device, will be limited in performance, however I dont think that is going to create many problems.

For those that do not have experience with networking... Many people with home broadband are getting faster than 100 Megabits (Mbps) of download and 10+ Mbps upload. The comment is always faster is better, which is kind of true, but it also skews what some think is an issue for streaming while RV'ing. Theoretically, you can stream High Def TV 720P with about 3 Mbps, and you can get 1080P at just over 4Mbps download. if you want 4K quality, while it should be about 4Mbps, its not and is about 6Mbps.
    For services like Apple TV where you stream from Apple purchased movies, you can actually start the movie buffering if you dont have enough bandwidth to sustain "realtime" streaming as an example. So all of this was said to highlight the single 2.4GHz antenna is not going to be your weakest link by any stretch. Your weekest link will be your LTE for sure. In heavily populated areas LTE perf is not as fast, however with good coverage from the provider you can get 100Mbps down, and 50Mbps up. Yep, those are real numbers, and can happen.

I think this Osprey on paper covers what you need. What I can not tell you is how intuitive is the GUI to configure this, what kind of features comes with it, and can you set it up to be accessible remotely over the WAN.

I would suggest buying from a place that you can return it after trying it in case it is just too difficult to make work. The Winegard web app used to configure other Winegard devices is very simplistic (very few features), and until you get it to mess with it, you wont know if you "like it".

Hope that helps, sorry to be so wordy, but figured I would add some commentary here.

I actually use a Netgear 5G hotspot that has external TS9 connectors. I plug that into the LTE cables that used to go to another device on the roof, and I swap between T-Mobile and Verizon. Its more complicated to use, but it will do 5G, and I have gotten over 100Mbps at times .

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msutoad View Post

I actually use a Netgear 5G hotspot that has external TS9 connectors. I plug that into the LTE cables that used to go to another device on the roof, and I swap between T-Mobile and Verizon. Its more complicated to use, but it will do 5G, and I have gotten over 100Mbps at times .
    I suspect LTE will be sufficient for the two of us as we'll have both Verizon and T-Mobile phones that we can turn into hotspots - actually still using CAT 5 at home and have no difficulty streaming as long as what comes into the house is sufficient. As you point out, weakest link will be incoming signal. Not much streaming planned if any. Advantage of current phones are support for LTE, Sub-6, and mmWave - dedicated hotspots offered by the carriers are a bit slower in supporting 5G though at least T-Mobile gives you one for free for the over 55 crowd (not data though).

But curious if you have a link to the Netgear device as I thought they only supported AT&T? Have never seen Verizon offer one and from personal experience their MIFIs were terrible. Both VZ and T-Mobile offer Inseego units. It would be convenient not to have to flip the phones on and off but not essential for me. Side questions, is it multi-SIM or do you have to swap between VZ and T-Mobile and I'm assuming it would be unlocked to support multiple carriers?
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12