User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GD Sol 375RES Office Conversion

I'm a first time newbie and acquired a 2020 375RES-R... have been living in it for almost 3 weeks now. I work from home, doing CAD in civil construction... which requires a two 27" monitor side by side set up with room on the side for my laptop as well. We liked this model design for its identical opposing slides in the rear living area. We only need one pull out bed couch... so I figured the 6' x 3' space would serve nicely as my work station IF I could find the right desk. Credit my wife finding this one from Office Depot for $329.
    https://www.officedepot.com/a/produc...alBrowse=false

The slide is elevated approximately 6" above the floor, so in order to come close to the right height I pre-measured the legs on the store floor model and determined that I could cut them down by 3-3/16", effectively making it flush with the bottom of the drawer supports... and the perfect work height.

A couple other minor mods were necessary to cut back the decorative vertical window molding to get the desk to sit fully back into the slide. The picture shows the final results and I love it. If anyone has a similar need... message me or comment and I will take more pics and explain in more detail how I pulled it off.

FYI... The Sauder desk. ALOT of assembly required. However... my mods were by far the trickiest part. This desk had the best, most detailed instructions I've ever encountered in a project of this nature.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220301_163258.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	39465

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yes... forgot to mention... removing the couch was more difficult than putting in the desk. There's only 6 screws and to "L" brackets securing it to the slide wall... no problem. But to get it OUT of the RV required taking it completely apart... at least into three manageable pieces. If you don't have experience and/or an eye for how things fit together and function properly... take pictures as you go. Disassembled, removed, reassembled and safely tucked away in storage.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubblehead_688 View Post
    Oh yes... forgot to mention... removing the couch was more difficult than putting in the desk. There's only 6 screws and to "L" brackets securing it to the slide wall... no problem. But to get it OUT of the RV required taking it completely apart... at least into three manageable pieces. If you don't have experience and/or an eye for how things fit together and function properly... take pictures as you go. Disassembled, removed, reassembled and safely tucked away in storage.
    Very nice. I was planning to do the exact same thing in our 380FL. Your picture helps me visualize the result.

Do you have any feel for the weight of the desk as compared to the sofa? Were you able to disassemble the sofa without "breaking or cutting" anything. That is, does it come apart as necessary with screws?

Thanks for the info.
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great job. Looks very nice and functional. Bonus, goes with the decor.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Traveler View Post
    Very nice. I was planning to do the exact same thing in our 380FL. Your picture helps me visualize the result.

Do you have any feel for the weight of the desk as compared to the sofa? Were you able to disassemble the sofa without "breaking or cutting" anything. That is, does it come apart as necessary with screws?

Thanks for the info.
    As to the weight... the desk weighs approximately 180lbs. I was concerned at first until I removed the couch. It's pretty damn heavy too... a guess... 100lbs. Add to that the weight of an average person and it far outweighs the desk with all my crap in/on it... so I relaxed about that issue. As to disassembly/reassembly of the couch... trick is to remove the foldout sections where they hinge to the main frame. You may have to rotate it in or out a bit to get freedom of movement of a couple of the fasteners where they are backed against soft material instead of the wood frame underneath the material. Be patient and think it thru. No cutting or damage done in my process. But I don't wanna do it again for show and tell! Good luck... holler if you hit a snag. Direct msg me to exchange phone #s .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    Great job. Looks very nice and functional. Bonus, goes with the decor.

Bill
    'Preciate it, Bill. I'm kinda proud of it! And yes... it pert' near matches the floor!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot to attach the pic of the desk in reassembly layout. I cut the legs off ****** soon as I took them out of the box.

And... here is the decorative window trim I mentioned. I wanted some clearance between these and the desk top... they juuuuuust interfered. I thought about notching the desk, instead of trying to imitate the curve at the bottom end of these... and then I had an epiphany... take them off and make one straight horizontal cut off the top. That required a shallow depth setting on the circular saw... and wedging a pencil between the piece and the decorative fabric to get clearance for the blade. No biggie for me... but I've got alot of history with various power tools and such. I took off 3/4", removed the crappy little staples they had been attached to the trim backing with, and used the smallest little finish nails I could find and a tiny nail set to reattach them. Tricky curved cut avoided!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220227_213011.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	39468Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JPEG_20220316_235956_341462725249022689.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	39469