User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LouisJ View Post
    We chose the 31mb because it is only 36 feet long and gives us a few more opportunities to fit at state and federal parks. Also, the GCVW came in low enough that I didn't need to take a driving test for a special license here in Texas. No choice is a bad choice with a Grand Design!
    Did you get a good deal on the rig? We currently own a Lance 2445 and are looking at the 31MB since the kids are growing like weeds. It meets all of our requirements-small enough to still get into most parks, large enough to have breathing room and our 2500 should pull just fine. We also like the rear living as we prefer back in spots when there is a nice view.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bruck Fam View Post
    Did you get a good deal on the rig? We currently own a Lance 2445 and are looking at the 31MB since the kids are growing like weeds. It meets all of our requirements-small enough to still get into most parks, large enough to have breathing room and our 2500 should pull just fine. We also like the rear living as we prefer back in spots when there is a nice view.
    I think you'll like the 31MB for all of the reasons you state. Our grandkids love the bunk room. Also, pulling is not an issue. With a diesel even better, but a lot more costly to pull with fuel prices these days. I pull with a 2500HD 6.0 gas just fine.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROC View Post
    I think you'll like the 31MB for all of the reasons you state. Our grandkids love the bunk room. Also, pulling is not an issue. With a diesel even better, but a lot more costly to pull with fuel prices these days. I pull with a 2500HD 6.0 gas just fine.
    Awesome! Do you have a sliding hitch, or is there enough clearance with the 6.5’ bed for a standard hitch? Getting feedback from an actual owner is so much nicer than our local dealership. Trying to get all the nuts and bolts sorted out as this will be our next rig. I appreciate the help!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome! Do you have a sliding hitch, or is there enough clearance with the 6.5’ bed for a standard hitch? Getting feedback from an actual owner is so much nicer than our local dealership. Trying to get all the nuts and bolts sorted out as this will be our next rig. I appreciate the help!
    I have a Curt A16 slider. I have never needed to use it yet, but you never know! I can get close to 90 degrees without it. My tightest entry was into my driveway (my avatar pic) because the road that fronts my house is fairly narrow. I have come pretty close to hitting my truck cab there, but only there.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an Andersen Ultimate hitch with the king pin coupler set toward the aft position in our 2500HD SB and never had an issue. Yes, you do need to watch it when getting close to 80+ but I've never had an issue (I've never measured the actual angle but it's far more than I've ever needed or want to go). I prefer having a hitch I can easily take in and out by myself as we use the truck bed all the time. There's no noise and hardly any chucking from it too. What's really nice is that with the GD App you can back under the trailer and start to lower the front jacks to line up the ball and then lower it all the way on the hitch, then just get out and lock the pin... I still always raise the trailer to make sure it's fully locked afterwards but this makes hitching up really easy and a one person job.
    2021 Reflection 31MB
    2017 Chevy 2500HD SB Diesel
    B&W Turnover Goose & Andersen Ultimate

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI I just purchased a 390RK and got 25% off MSRP. It didn't feel THAT hard, really. Also, from the dealer perspective it is not a "discount off of MSRP", rather sticker is a "mark-up from wholesale." I don't know what the GD markup is (MSRP as a function of wholesale), but my guess is somewhere in the 40-50% range. Generally, you'd want the dealer to make something like 10% on wholesale -- we would like them to stay in business, pay their team and their famalies, etc. Life without dealers would not be fun. If we use a little algebra then what you want to pay is between 21.4% and 26.7% off MSRP (for a 40% and 50% markup, respectively, with the dealer making 10% of wholesale). The deal I made on my trailer netted the dealer between $5.7k and $12.7k depending on that markup. I don't have a good way to know what the markup actually is, but hopefully this gives you some idea for what a good deal looks like (of course as sure as I've said this, someone will chime in and tell me I'm clueless and overpaid haha, but this is the best information I have).

By the way, the % off of MSRP percentages I gave above are independent of trailer price and are a function of just the dealer markup percentage. The dollar values are based on both the percentages I calculated AND the price of trailer I bought. In other words, if my guesses about markup are correct, then these percentages are a good guide regardless of the trailer price. Having said this, markup percentage generally increases as the product becomes more premium/luxury. So the 40-50% I gave may be fine for a Solitude like I bought, but may be way high for an entry-level trailer.

I don't want to lecture everyone, but remember that the reason you have money in your pocket to feed your family, buy a trailer and have fun is because either you, the company you worked for or the government "made a profit" and used that money to pay you. Dealers need to make a profit (well, margin, strictly speaking) to pay their employees and the owners who invested in the dealership and they deserve to make margin on the trailer. We want a fair price, nothing more and nothing less. I have been around unscrupulous dealers before and shopping around and talking to the sales team often gets you the information you need to determine if you're getting taken for a ride. The internet group at most dealers know you are not a captive audience and the price they quote needs to be good.

Good hunting!
    Steve & Lori Hicks and Luna, the wonder dog - Liberty Hill, Tx
    2022 Solitude 390RK-R
    2022 3500 Ram Limited Longhorn Mega Cab 4x4 SRW - 6.7L HO Cummins with Aisin Tranny
    N5AC

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all! We got a great deal on our first rig-accidentally timed it right before all the covid closures and based on the delays for our Lance, we ought to do well on a private sale. 25% off msrp is what my expectations are and based on seeing fuller lots and our willingness now to travel to get that, I am thinking we should be good.

Now I just need to figure out the hitch. Knowing me, I will probably go overkill-better to have it and not need it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123