Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    I don't know what is going on, I know nothing about cell phone technology but it's really been rough the last couple of days getting and keeping a connection to the internet with our AT&T Iphone hot spots or our Verizon V's'ble hot spot. On the status line of the hot spots there is what looks like two paperclips connected together. Maybe like you say its a change over to 5G or shut down of 3G, don't know.
    Wife is getting really frustrated when she gets a disconnect and kicked off the internet multiple times while streaming in her game shows on "frndly TV", or streaming amazon, Netfix and such. LOL's!
    Now this morning I'm getting second authentication notices whenever I try to login to our gmail account that I never got before. I don't know but somethings up!
    There are several things that can cause what you are describing. I'll let them in a general order:

1. Network congestion. Imaging a pipe that is 3" in diameter. If it is just you accessing the Internet through this pipe, you would have screaming speeds, but you share this pipe with others. Most of the time, it's like sharing it with 9 others, then there are some times that this pipe is trying to provide access to 100 others.

2. Distance from the cell tower and the direction of the cell tower antennas. If you think of blowing at a paper boat on a lake, when the boat is close to you, you can really get it to move, but the farther away, it moves slower, regardless of how hard you blow at it.

3. Objects interfering with your connection to the cell tower. This could be something like metal siding in a trailer, or a large number of trees, or even hills.

4. Down cell tower(s). This is kind of self-explanatory.

5. Your equipment. Again, kind of self-explanatory.

6. Shut down of older Network protocols. In this case AT& T is having to shut down their 3G network due to the government's requirement.

To try and troubleshoot most of these issues, you can try moving to a different location and seeing if your data speed increase if it does you probably or too far from the tower, have connected to a different tower, or move to a better line of sight with a tower. I recommend downloading and installing the app SpeedTest by Ookla. When you run the app, it gives you some pretty good information such as millisecond (ms) response time and the download and upload speeds directly on your phone.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    I don't know what is going on, I know nothing about cell phone technology but it's really been rough the last couple of days getting and keeping a connection to the internet with our AT&T Iphone hot spots or our Verizon V's'ble hot spot. On the status line of the hot spots there is what looks like two paperclips connected together. Maybe like you say its a change over to 5G or shut down of 3G, don't know.
    Wife is getting really frustrated when she gets a disconnect and kicked off the internet multiple times while streaming in her game shows on "frndly TV", or streaming amazon, Netfix and such. LOL's!
    Now this morning I'm getting second authentication notices whenever I try to login to our gmail account that I never got before. I don't know but somethings up!
    Are you using a VPN?

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Are you using a VPN?

Rob
    nope, not using a virtual private network, I spelled that out because nope was too short!LOL's
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing I know about all this, according to what Siri tells me, when we are using the iPhone with Verizon V's'ble hot spot it has either 3 or 4 bars on the left bar graph and LTE which siri tells means 4G and also the double paperclips on the status bar which I think means something is linked to it, Then if I look at my AT&T iPhone (with its hot spot turned off) it has 3 or 4 bars on the left bar graph and then also the double paperclips which I think means I am linked to the iPhone Verizon V's'ble, but still sometimes I have no internet connection. Could be like you say caused by many reasons.

Now insert picture of puckered lips and finger use like playing a jews harp. Oh well crappy doodle!! I guess we'll just read a book, I'll go fishing or visit the neighbors!
    I feel like now with all this new fangled phone stuff, like my father did when he said those space things are punching holes in the sky and causing air complusion, his word for pollution. I used to laugh at him! I don't feel very smart about cell phone technology, I guess we do somewhat turn into our parents after all!!!
    Last edited by Steven@147; 03-29-2022 at 10:56 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, if multiple cell towers are in range networks can dynamically shift a 'call' from one tower to another depending upon congestion, prioritization, and variations in signal-to-noise ratios for individual devices. That can result in a temporary fluctuation of signal strength and on occasion dropped calls or blocked calls. You don't have to move to have signal strength vary.

There is an app called OpenSignal which you might find useful.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This forum keeps getting blocking me with Tapatalk and it’s annoying me to no end.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12