User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    When we had our S&B southeast of Austin we lived through a big wildfire so I sympathize with those who have experienced it. I used to practice how fast I could hook and go but that was when we had our Imagine. We kept minimal things in the Imagine and some canned food and water holding tank 1/3 full. Now fulltime so we'll just move away from danger.

In the case of WWIII Armageddon, I'm not sure I would want to live in the aftermath. Wouldn't survive long in the radiation anyway.
    Who was it that said, I don't know how WW3 will be fought, But I know WW4 will be with sticks and spears. Something like that.
    I remember back in the 60's the cold war preparedness like in grade school where we would practice diving under the desks ... like that would help.

As far as "WWIII Armageddon" goes ...
    Now we have a reemergence of that old scare stuff. We still have the nuke scare but technology has changes dramatically. Now its less likely nukes would be used. More military experts now say other newer technology weapons would be used. For example a EMP's could be used that could disable the electrical grid. A modern society would not last long if they didn't have electricity. Only the survivalists would have a chance.
    2022 Imagine 22RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn 5.7 Hemi 4X4
    USAF Veteran

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder how many of those survivalists actually know how much work, and land, it takes to supply themselves with all their own food. All those books make it look easier than it really is.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    I wonder how many of those survivalists actually know how much work, and land, it takes to supply themselves with all their own food. All those books make it look easier than it really is.
    Yea.... I keep getting this vision of a diehard RVer /preper burying their camper underground and living in it.... LOL!
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's definitely a money maker for some with book sales, emergency goods and food suppliers, etc.
    2022 Imagine 22RBE
    USAF Veteran

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    Yea.... I keep getting this vision of a diehard RVer /preper burying their camper underground and living in it.... LOL!
    Would that be a berm trailer?
    2022 Imagine 22RBE
    USAF Veteran

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corky2 View Post
    Do you have plans to utilize your RV for emergency living in the event your home is unlivable or unavailable?

Many events could render your home unlivable, examples are a house fire, severe weather event, earthquake and even long term utilities outage (electricity, water, gas, etc).

Since most people on this site have an RV then they already have an option but have you thought about it, made plans or taken action to be prepared?

And what if the cause of your home being unlivable is widespread where you can't get gasoline, water and food?

You might have to provide your own drinking water and food for you and your family.

Some people already have solar energy systems and water filtration, especially if they boondock.

Some people keep the RV at home or can park it near the house so they could still utilize the home for some things and RV for others.

Some people already solar energy systems installed on the home and they already have some emergency supplies.

I'm currently thinking about and researching solar energy systems for my house and upgrading the RV.

I also have a gravity water filter system and access to unfiltered water. I also live out in the countryside where food is available. I'm also expanding my vegetable garden.

I guess its the current national and global events that has me thinking more about this but one thing we all have in common is we have a RV that can help tremendously when you really need help.

Just curious if others have been thinking about this.

Also, please keep responses and comments free of politics.
    We moved into our 5th wheel last summer while having new floors put in. We saved ourselves over a week on the project because the contractor didn't have to make the house livable at the end of each work day. We're lucky in that the house we purchased had full RV hook ups on the side yard.
    Dutch & Marlene
    2016 GMC 2500 HD Denali 6.0L gasser
    2022 Reflection 280RS

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our home has a concrete slab and the galvanized water pipes are buried in it. Most of the houses here are built like this.
    We had the hot water line burst somewhere in the slab under the kitchen cabinets. Caught it as it happened so very little water damage.

While the plumbers re-plumbed the entire house with a new PEX system we used our 5th wheel as a shower station.
    We just pulled it out from the side of the house, hooked up a water hose from the neighbors house and we were set.
    This was just for a few days but glad we had it.
    2020 Reflection 29RS 5th Wheel
    2019 GMC 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do, its a heck of a lot more than just an acre or two. If you are going to be hunting or trapping for one, you will really need about 100 acres, due to the migration of game and the ease of over hunting. Typical rule of thumb, for every mouth to feed in raw protein, you will need 100 acres of huntable land, and game to be in that land. It's not a hard and fast rule, but it puts things into prospective.

Then you need about .5 acres of farmable land per mouth, and about .25 acres per mouth for a greenhouse.

Again, just very general guidelines. Much of it depends on where you are located, in the desert southwest, you can count on tripling the amount of acreage, in the fertile Midwest, you might be able to get away with 3/4 of the guidelines.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah yes, and don't forget all the necessary accessories for raising food: horses, mules, or oxen, or tractors. And the necessary canning supplies, storage areas, spring houses, cellars, etc. Much-o work-o.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah yes, and don't forget all the necessary accessories for raising food: horses, mules, or oxen, or tractors. And the necessary canning supplies, storage areas, spring houses, cellars, etc. Much-o work-o.
    Yup! For those of us that were raised on a ranch or farm, we understand the with that goes into one. As a side note, if I could truly support my family, I would go back to punching cattle again, in a heartbeat!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast