User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah, not me. The best day in my life was when I shook the dirt from the farm from my shoes. Digging potatoes, picking corn, shucking corn, freezing corn, shelling peas, pulling onions, picking tomatoes, etc., etc. Mucking out the barn, milking the cows, feeding the pigs, trying not to get eaten by the pigs. Hate it, hate it, hate it.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KDutchover View Post
    We moved into our 5th wheel last summer while having new floors put in. We saved ourselves over a week on the project because the contractor didn't have to make the house livable at the end of each work day. We're lucky in that the house we purchased had full RV hook ups on the side yard.
    The RV is paying for itself, good deal!

I have my RV in a pole barn so it has electrical but no sewage ... yet.
    2022 Imagine 22RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn 5.7 Hemi 4X4
    USAF Veteran

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Ah yes, and don't forget all the necessary accessories for raising food: horses, mules, or oxen, or tractors. And the necessary canning supplies, storage areas, spring houses, cellars, etc. Much-o work-o.
    So if you found yourself and family in a bad situation where food and fresh water was scarce and everyone around you fighting for it ... what would you do?
    2022 Imagine 22RBE
    USAF Veteran

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    I do, its a heck of a lot more than just an acre or two. If you are going to be hunting or trapping for one, you will really need about 100 acres, due to the migration of game and the ease of over hunting. Typical rule of thumb, for every mouth to feed in raw protein, you will need 100 acres of huntable land, and game to be in that land. It's not a hard and fast rule, but it puts things into prospective.

Then you need about .5 acres of farmable land per mouth, and about .25 acres per mouth for a greenhouse.

Again, just very general guidelines. Much of it depends on where you are located, in the desert southwest, you can count on tripling the amount of acreage, in the fertile Midwest, you might be able to get away with 3/4 of the guidelines.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    When I retired I picked the countryside of middle Tennessee as my new retirement home. A hunting and fishing paradise and the people work together in times of need.
    2022 Imagine 22RBE
    USAF Veteran

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KDutchover View Post
    We moved into our 5th wheel last summer while having new floors put in. We saved ourselves over a week on the project because the contractor didn't have to make the house livable at the end of each work day. We're lucky in that the house we purchased had full RV hook ups on the side yard.
    Best stated emergency use yet....IMO.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corky2 View Post
    So if you found yourself and family in a bad situation where food and fresh water was scarce and everyone around you fighting for it ... what would you do?
    Honestly? I haven't even considered it. Plenty of things that I can control to concern myself much with things I can't.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Honestly? I haven't even considered it. Plenty of things that I can control to concern myself much with things I can't.
    Not sure "control" is the issue. Being prepared for unexpected emergency events and utilizing the RV is the issue.
    2022 Imagine 22RBE
    USAF Veteran

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we get back home from a trip the RV gets plugged in and the water tank gets filled, the perishables are all removed and the dry goods are restocked. The fridge stays on too. Clothes, linens, etc get washed & dried and put back in the RV. This has been our method for the last two RVs over the last 12+ years. Twice since having the GD 5er it's come in very handy with storms that have left us without power for 4 or 5 days. Yes I run a generator for the house but it's a big hassle to try and use the hot water heater or the stove & oven. That's where the RV sitting there ready to use has worked fantastic. A hot shower can be ready in 15 minutes and the stove is right there for preparing some food. I like keeping it ready to roll in just a short time and even if it's not used in an emergency situation it makes it simple to leave for another trip.
    Last edited by IBEW Sparky; 03-30-2022 at 03:43 PM.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBEW Sparky View Post
    When we get back home from a trip the RV gets plugged in and the water tank gets filled, the perishables are all removed and the dry goods are restocked. The fridge stays on too. Clothes, linens, etc get washed & dried and put back in the RV. This has been our method for the last two RVs over the last 12+ years. Twice since having the GD 5er it's come in very handy with storms that have left us without power for 4 or 5 days. Yes I run a generator for the house but it's a big hassle to try and use the hot water heater or the stove & oven. That's where the RV sitting there ready to use has worked fantastic. A hot shower can be ready in 15 minutes and the stove is right there for preparing some food. I like keeping it ready to roll in just a short time and even if it's not used in an emergency situation it makes it simple to leave for another trip.
    We had a severe storm pass through last night with 70+ mph winds. We would also use the RV in times of need. I keep my RV in a pole barn on my property. I have water and power but I also want to be able to connect a temporary/removable line to my 500 gallon propane tank. I might even look into a RV septic system.
    2022 Imagine 22RBE
    USAF Veteran

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    YES ours is part of the plan, but our MT home is fall back. We travel with about 1 months worth of SHTF dried food, guns and ammo but this is all to get us home if we are on the road.

We've been preppers since 2001 and friends thought we were wacky. Now they ask questions.....

Our supplies at home not including about 6 months of canned goods including huckleberry moonshine..

2021 310GK-R - MorRyde suspension and pin box. Sumo Springs. Solar, 7k axles.
    2021 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 6.7 diesel, 10 speed auto, 3.55 diff. 108 gallon fuel capacity
    2000 F350 XLT HD SRW 2WD 7.3L diesel, 6-speed manual trans, 3.73 diff - Firestone Airbags-Bilstein Shocks. 82 gallon fuel capacity

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast