User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using RV for emergency living

Do you have plans to utilize your RV for emergency living in the event your home is unlivable or unavailable?

Many events could render your home unlivable, examples are a house fire, severe weather event, earthquake and even long term utilities outage (electricity, water, gas, etc).

Since most people on this site have an RV then they already have an option but have you thought about it, made plans or taken action to be prepared?

And what if the cause of your home being unlivable is widespread where you can't get gasoline, water and food?

You might have to provide your own drinking water and food for you and your family.

Some people already have solar energy systems and water filtration, especially if they boondock.

Some people keep the RV at home or can park it near the house so they could still utilize the home for some things and RV for others.

Some people already solar energy systems installed on the home and they already have some emergency supplies.

I'm currently thinking about and researching solar energy systems for my house and upgrading the RV.

I also have a gravity water filter system and access to unfiltered water. I also live out in the countryside where food is available. I'm also expanding my vegetable garden.

I guess its the current national and global events that has me thinking more about this but one thing we all have in common is we have a RV that can help tremendously when you really need help.

Just curious if others have been thinking about this.

Also, please keep responses and comments free of politics.
    2022 Imagine 22RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn 5.7 Hemi 4X4
    USAF Veteran

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Temporary living most certainly. Even those with available funds, mechanical skills, and fresh water access would still struggle with parts availability and possible longterm energy needs if a disaster was to happen.

IMO. would rather be in a stick built house with a good fireplace near a mountain stream out in the middle of no where when the preverbial ballon goes up.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve left my house at least 3 times as hurricanes threatened the area. Luckily none hit, but my plan is to bug out.

So, yea, I guess it was an emergency shelter.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a Prepper, yes, that is part of our family's planning. However, since we will be starting our full-time journey in August, those prepping plans will be changing!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are TT is stored at the stick and brick which is lake side and slightly in the country. There's no perishables or clothes in it but everything else is in there. It is ready to roll within 20min in case we needed to bug out. 2 summers ago we had forest fires come close.
    We have wood stove and plenty of wood burning, lake water, game meat available if needed. However we are only 40min away from Canada's capital which with recent threats is too close for comfort. I know we're not a global strong arm but we could be made as an example.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    Are TT is stored at the stick and brick which is lake side and slightly in the country. There's no perishables or clothes in it but everything else is in there. It is ready to roll within 20min in case we needed to bug out. 2 summers ago we had forest fires come close.
    We have wood stove and plenty of wood burning, lake water, game meat available if needed. However we are only 40min away from Canada's capital which with recent threats is too close for comfort. I know we're not a global strong arm but we could be made as an example.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Ours is set up similar. We do have clothes and non-perishable food with some water. It is on our pad next to the house.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I'm a prepper (in work) but if "bug out" means to be prepared to leave in a hurry to survive then my intention is to stay on the property I own and live off the land if needed. If I still lived in the big city (SoCal) then I would bug out quickly because survival in a big city could be very difficult if not impossible.
    2022 Imagine 22RBE
    USAF Veteran

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last Summer, our A/C went out (Tampa FL area) and we moved into the Camper for a week while the A/C unit was being replaced.

We don't keep food, clothing, or linens in the camper because of attracting pests into the camper, also, due to the high humidity in our area we don't keep soft goods in the camper because of the possibility of mold.

We simply loaded up the camper like we normally would for a trip; we have duplicates of many items stored in totes to make loading up easier.

This is also our plan for "Bugging Out" if we decide we are in the path of a Hurricane.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we had our S&B southeast of Austin we lived through a big wildfire so I sympathize with those who have experienced it. I used to practice how fast I could hook and go but that was when we had our Imagine. We kept minimal things in the Imagine and some canned food and water holding tank 1/3 full. Now fulltime so we'll just move away from danger.

In the case of WWIII Armageddon, I'm not sure I would want to live in the aftermath. Wouldn't survive long in the radiation anyway.
    Who was it that said, I don't know how WW3 will be fought, But I know WW4 will be with sticks and spears. Something like that.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    Last Summer, our A/C went out (Tampa FL area) and we moved into the Camper for a week while the A/C unit was being replaced.

We don't keep food, clothing, or linens in the camper because of attracting pests into the camper, also, due to the high humidity in our area we don't keep soft goods in the camper because of the possibility of mold.

We simply loaded up the camper like we normally would for a trip; we have duplicates of many items stored in totes to make loading up easier.

This is also our plan for "Bugging Out" if we decide we are in the path of a Hurricane.
    Where I live its more like a tornado or severe thunderstorm with high winds. But these are usually not widespread events.

I read recently that covid started a rise in people becoming more "prepper" and it now includes people who used to laugh at preppers.
    2022 Imagine 22RBE
    USAF Veteran

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast