User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tight Switchback on entry to Red Rock Canyon, Hinton, OK.

Anyone had experience towing a large 5er down into Red Rock Canyon Park in Hinton, OK? No, not the fancy Red Rock outside of Las Vegas, the crap hole in OK, LOL I can say that since my brother owns property that backs up to it.

There is a tight switch-back on the entry road down into the canyon. I've towed our 313RLS travel trailer down into it, but never a 5er. Now that we have a 367BHS Reflection, I'm kind of concerned. I have 7+ inches above my bed and zero turning angle issues with the cab. My concern is making the corner at 65 or so feet long, staying on the road, and being able to pull the steep incline coming out with 20K+ GCVW.

I'm assuming I'll use 2WD low range to creep up out of there. (lock-out hubs are the cat's meow)

Anyone have experience down in that hole with big boy trailers? I'd sure appreciate your feedback if you do.

Thanks.

EDIT: I just thought about it, but maybe I can add a little air to the Goosebox to gain a tad more bed clearance if I need it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2592[1].jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	39663
    Last edited by 4x4dually; 03-28-2022 at 01:12 PM.
    2021 Reflection 367BHS
    2009 Dodge 3500 4x4 Longbed MegaCab
    Electrical Engineer/Musician/Rancher
    Habbitial facebook jail inmate and soon to be banned from here

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post
    Anyone had experience towing a large 5er down into Red Rock Canyon Park in Hinton, OK? No, not the fancy Red Rock outside of Las Vegas, the crap hole in OK, LOL I can say that since my brother owns property that backs up to it.

There is a tight switch-back on the entry road down into the canyon. I've towed our 313RLS travel trailer down into it, but never a 5er. Now that we have a 367BHS Reflection, I'm kind of concerned. I have 7+ inches above my bed and zero turning angle issues with the cab. My concern is making the corner at 65 or so feet long, staying on the road, and being able to pull the steep incline coming out with 20K+ GCVW.

I'm assuming I'll use 2WD low range to creep up out of there. (lock-out hubs are the cat's meow)

Anyone have experience down in that hole with big boy trailers? I'd sure appreciate your feedback if you do.

Thanks.

EDIT: I just thought about it, but maybe I can add a little air to the Goosebox to gain a tad more bed clearance if I need it.

I've driven a school bus into there with a load of kids. It was...interesting. We are planning to stay there over Memorial weekend. I took a look at https://campgrounds.rvlife.com/ before I booked it to see if others had issues in the past. A few mentioned it but most seemed to navigate it with no problem. If you're there before we are, let me know how it goes.
    2016 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
    2021 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3550BH

Camp Sites - https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...fw&usp=sharing

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManageIT View Post
    I've driven a school bus into there with a load of kids. It was...interesting. We are planning to stay there over Memorial weekend. I took a look at https://campgrounds.rvlife.com/ before I booked it to see if others had issues in the past. A few mentioned it but most seemed to navigate it with no problem. If you're there before we are, let me know how it goes.
    We plan on going in April sometime. My brother still pulls a baby trailer since he has a Tundra (joking....but I DO give him hell) and a few of us are now pulling Reflections or Solitudes or even Kevin now with a tri-axle Momentum. We will find out soon enough....I'm just scared of something not going right mid-way. There isn't much "stop and back out" either direction if you ask me. Pretty much have to send a person ahead to block traffic before attempting even with a travel trailer.

I'll keep you posted. Hopefully someone else chimes in before I get there. You'd think at some point the state would change that entrance with their zero dollar budget for us.
    2021 Reflection 367BHS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We plan on going in April sometime. My brother still pulls a baby trailer since he has a Tundra (joking....but I DO give him hell) and a few of us are now pulling Reflections or Solitudes or even Kevin now with a tri-axle Momentum. We will find out soon enough....I'm just scared of something not going right mid-way. There isn't much "stop and back out" either direction if you ask me. Pretty much have to send a person ahead to block traffic before attempting even with a travel trailer.

I'll keep you posted. Hopefully someone else chimes in before I get there. You'd think at some point the state would change that entrance with their zero dollar budget for us.
    Definitely not backing out of that one very easily. Our Solitude works out to just under 40' so we're pretty comparable to your size. It has been years since I was there. I'm a little concerned about tail swing. I can't remember exactly what is on the outside of the hairpin. I don't want to smack a tree or worse the canyon wall.

I think that park is privately managed now so I'm not sure how much the state is involved anymore.
    2016 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
    2021 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3550BH

Camp Sites - https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...fw&usp=sharing

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks.

Disclaimer! I've never been there, so take this with a grain of salt.

I did a few satellite screenshots from Google maps and this is what I have found:

Name:	ksnip_20220328-151432.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	574.3 KB 
ID:	39664
    The arrow points to a 4 wheeler (trucker speak for standard automobile) for a size comparison. The next few pictures are of screen snaps of rigs in the part, most have two AC units and the last one has 3, so that might give you a little "size" perspective.

Name:	ksnip_20220328-151309.png 
Views:	31 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	39665

Name:	ksnip_20220328-151332.png 
Views:	309 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	39666

Name:	ksnip_20220328-151240.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	267.2 KB 
ID:	39667

Name:	ksnip_20220328-151359.png 
Views:	309 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	39668
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManageIT View Post
    I think that park is privately managed now so I'm not sure how much the state is involved anymore.
    The park is currently being leased from the state by Rick Thiel. (according to a text just now)

Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    I did a few satellite screenshots from Google maps and this is what I have found:

Name:	ksnip_20220328-151432.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	574.3 KB 
ID:	39664
    The biggest issue here is the change in surface angle from each side of the curve. The truck is gonna rock on way and the trailer will rock the other.

I'm honestly really concerned about this but everyone swears we are going there. LOL

Last time we camped there, Hinton Fire got a call for a rescue off the hiking trail. My brother had just got released from back surgery and it was a carry out....and she was....not..small. Never a dull moment in the canyon.
    2021 Reflection 367BHS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The park is currently being leased from the state by Rick Thiel. (according to a text just now)

The biggest issue here is the change in surface angle from each side of the curve. The truck is gonna rock on way and the trailer will rock the other.

I'm honestly really concerned about this but everyone swears we are going there. LOL

Last time we camped there, Hinton Fire got a call for a rescue off the hiking trail. My brother had just got released from back surgery and it was a carry out....and she was....not..small. Never a dull moment in the canyon.
    I did say to take what I posted with a grain of salt since I've never been there... Remember advice is worth what you paid for it... [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    I did say to take what I posted with a grain of salt since I've never been there... Remember advice is worth what you paid for it... [emoji16]
    Hopefully I didn't sound ungrateful. I do appreciate your time and your post.
    2021 Reflection 367BHS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully I didn't sound ungrateful. I do appreciate your time and your post.
    Naw, just a word of caution to others. I do try to include disclaimers in my posts if it's something I haven't done before.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We did it several years ago with our 36' Reflection 337 - no problems. On the way back out, we did meet a school bus coming in... perhaps it was @ManageIT (not kidding about the school bus). We were able to pass each other without a problem. We consider the park one of the most beautiful places we've been.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast