Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rear View Camera

Okay, the time has come for me to install a rear view camera system on my 2013 build Solitude. After some careful consideration, I decided to go with a Rear View Safety RVS-020770 Commercial WiFi Backup Camera System. I went with this sytem mostly so I didn't have to worry about another monitor in my TV. Before installing a have a couple of questions.

1. Has anyone used this system, and if so what do you think?
    2. I need to tap into the marker/clearance lights for 12volt power. I took a quick look at my unit yesterday, and couldn't figure out how to remove the marker light cover. So any help would be greatly appreciated. In my defense, I had just finished mowing 3 acres and putting up a small retaining wall around the flower bed, so I might not have been the most alert.
    3. Any other advice from anyone who has installed a rear view camera system on their unit.

Thanks in advance.

-David
    David & Linda - Plainview, VA
    2008 3500HD CrewCab DRW
    2014 369RL #258
    2007 Solstice
    2008 TrailBlazer
    2016 Kia Sorento
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    That's an interesting camera David. I have not seen that one yet. Of course you will have another monitor, it will just be your smartphone which will need to be mounted somewhere so you can see it. The price is nice probably, again, because you're utilizing your smartphone so they don't have to include a monitor. I've been thinking about a rear view camera as well so I'll be eager to hear how this works out so please keep us posted.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes you are right Poppy, I will have my smartphone. It already has a suction cup mount on the dash where I can see it while driving. With the Nav system already in my TV, I didn't want to add an additional monitor, plus my smartphone. I should get it mounted this weekend, so I keep you posted, plus I am headed out next week so I can give an operational report.
    2008 3500HD CrewCab DRW
    2014 369RL #258
    2007 Solstice
    2008 TrailBlazer
    2016 Kia Sorento
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dloase View Post
    Yes you are right Poppy, I will have my smartphone. It already has a suction cup mount on the dash where I can see it while driving. With the Nav system already in my TV, I didn't want to add an additional monitor, plus my smartphone. I should get it mounted this weekend, so I keep you posted, plus I am headed out next week so I can give an operational report.
    Awesome. I would also like to hear if the video will orient in landscape on the smartphone and if it operates at all times versus just in reverse. I guess I also wonder if it can damage the smartphone if the video is on all the time. Maybe I'm showing my age because I guess that hasn't been a problem since my Atari Pong game burned into my TV
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol. I am that old also. Pong was just coming out about a year before I joined. The camera will stay on depending on how you wire it. If you only want it on in reverse you wire it to the backup lights. If you want it full time you have to wire it to a source that has 12 volts when hooked to the truck. I am going to wire it to the clearance/marker lights as I run my lights when towing anyway. I'll post some pictures when i get it all mounted and working.
    2008 3500HD CrewCab DRW
    2014 369RL #258
    2007 Solstice
    2008 TrailBlazer
    2016 Kia Sorento
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will you have issues if you travel where there is no cell reception? Do you do any boondocking (no cell service)?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jergrimes,
    Since the unit has its own tranmitter, cell service should not be an issue. It is transmitting its own bluetooth signal which the phone is able to pick up. I would provide a better answer, but my unit has been in the shop since July and I haven't been able to test the system under a lot of different circumstances.
    2008 3500HD CrewCab DRW
    2014 369RL #258
    2007 Solstice
    2008 TrailBlazer
    2016 Kia Sorento
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]