User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Permanent Standard vs. Daylight Savings Time Poll

Polls being put out by our Congressional representatives on whether individuals would prefer permanent Standard Time or permanent Daylight Savings Time. I've survived the 1973-1974 experiment on permanent DST - gave me an extra hour to play golf end of day but still had to get on line in the dark to get gas every morning. Proponents of both are all over the map on this. Curious how others feel.

DST became standardized at 6 months in 1966, grew to 7 months in 1986, and 8 months in 2007. I think I would have different opinions depending upon whether I lived in the eastern or western portions of a time zone.

Interesting web site to play around with here https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/usa/boston
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem is when time zones are so large. I live nearly on the Illinois border and our daylight and dark times are hours different from yours while we are both on the same time zone. We tried central time one year and it was terrible. It got dark before I got off work in the winter.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    The problem is when time zones are so large. I live nearly on the Illinois border and our daylight and dark times are hours different from yours while we are both on the same time zone. We tried central time one year and it was terrible. It got dark before I got off work in the winter.
    Exactly true. Here in NH, if we go back to Standard Time, the skies will start getting light around 3am and sunrise will be 4am in the summer.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer the time changes.... The daylight gets me up in the mornings.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We don't bother with DST here in Arizona and it's awesome. Sunrise does come a bit late in the winter months but I'd hate for it to be sunny at 4 am in late June.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never cared for these changes. Prefer all to be on GMT (Universal Time). If we are unable to use UT, and I wrote my congressman about this, my take comes from Guy Ottwell at Cosmic Reflections:

https://www.universalworkshop.com/clock-shifting-times/

A clock face is just a set on numbers. Why would I care if it said 13:00 when I got up and ate breakfast.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or try using Consensus Time:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xkcd.png 
Views:	31 
Size:	130.8 KB 
ID:	39736

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uwskier View Post
    We don't bother with DST here in Arizona and it's awesome. Sunrise does come a bit late in the winter months but I'd hate for it to be sunny at 4 am in late June.
    We love it also. I used to live in NJ and hated the twice annual clock change. As far as which I would have preferred (Standard or DST), it didn't really matter to me. I would have had them just pick one and stay with it.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uwskier View Post
    Uh, it's going to be closer to sunrise at 4:00 am than if you were on DST. Sun rises earlier, and sets earlier than on DST. So I'm not sure what your point is.

Personally I prefer the daylight in the latter part of the day than in the earliest part when I'm not even awake. Daylight at 9:00 PM is great, daylight at 6:00 AM, not so much.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Arizona has it right, use standard time all year long. In the early 20th century, many jobs depended on sunlight so DST made some sense. But, today, we have lights that make this a non-issue. However, DST in the morning means darkness when driving to work or school. If we kept standard time, yes it seems to get dark earlier in the evening, but it is still light around 9 hours most days in the mid-latitudes. If asked for my vote, I would vote for keeping standard time all year long.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast