User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Not a drill bit, way too imprecise, there's no way to control the drill bit well enough to make a clean job of it, plus drill bits may leave a grooved surface that is not desirable. The best way to install the bushing is to use a sized bolt, like one of the wet bolts that will be used
    I use an old bolt in good shape. Then I carefully file or grind the serations smooth so they do not damage the bushings
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One other comment. The nuts that came with the wet bolts from etrailer pretty much looked like the original nut that I removed.

However. The wet bolt nuts from Fastenal were much beefier. I used them.

https://www.fastenal.com/product/details/0167017

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huntindog. Good idea filing the splines and using an old bolt to press in the new bushings. I went to use the old bolt today. Removed the grease nipple and started to use it only to discover that the splines were going to mess up the new bushing.

In this case I was able to press it in with a c clamp as it went in easy.

Thanks for the tip. I kept the old wet bolt. Now I know why.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you check any of the other bolts for excessive movement, or lack of bushings? Be a pain, but would be good to know...and repair. Looked like a good job, all in all.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HF. I was much too low on energy to check any other wet bolts today. But I should have.

My sore knees rational was that all the other ones take grease so at least they are lubed. And I wondered if a well luned no bushing wet bolt would just be ok. What are your thoughts on that.

Or perhaps get off my lazy butt and check the other 3 spring hangers.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My thought would be that spring eyes would not act differently if there was no bushing, in fact, they should be accept grease even easier, since the clearance is greater than with the bushings. However, I would not run without the bushings since that extra clearance will translate into excessive movement of the spring eyes around the wet bolt, and will result in increased wear of the spring eye and bolt. But I don't believe it is anything that would result in short term failure, but rather in long term wear. Both the springs and bolts are hard, so if you kept them greased well, they would likely last a long time...likely.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. My thoughts as well. After 12,000 miles on a dry bolt with no bushing I did not se any wear at all on the bolt. Or the spring eye for that matter. I’m thinking plenty of grease and keep on going.

The forum has been a lifesaver and a cost saver for me. From getting the right parts, the right tools, and even working in a safe matter, has been enabled by the good folks here. Thank you all.

For me, learning to do this stuff has made RV ownership a joy. Learning new skills and the satisfaction of finishing a project is wonderful.

Not to mention the hassle, stress, leadtime, and cost of relying on the dealership. And the worry that they may not have invested the love and attention to detail that you want and need.

Next project is to torque the bolts holding the A/C units on the roof. Manual says to check them annually. I’ll need a new little inch pound torque wrench. Yesss.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyStar View Post
    Yes. My thoughts as well. After 12,000 miles on a dry bolt with no bushing I did not se any wear at all on the bolt. Or the spring eye for that matter. I’m thinking plenty of grease and keep on going.

The forum has been a lifesaver and a cost saver for me. From getting the right parts, the right tools, and even working in a safe matter, has been enabled by the good folks here. Thank you all.

For me, learning to do this stuff has made RV ownership a joy. Learning new skills and the satisfaction of finishing a project is wonderful.

Not to mention the hassle, stress, leadtime, and cost of relying on the dealership. And the worry that they may not have invested the love and attention to detail that you want and need.

Next project is to torque the bolts holding the A/C units on the roof. Manual says to check them annually. I’ll need a new little inch pound torque wrench. Yesss.

You never know how the monkeys at Lippert build the suspension. And like you said, taking it to a dealer is a hole new order of concern as you don't know how they will do the job either. On our Solitude the end spring eyes to the hangers did not have wet bolts in them, just standard shoulder bolts. Everywhere else they used wet bolts. All of them had bronze bushings in the eyes but no wet bolts and no grease, just installed dry. Now why in heck would they do that? Makes no sense at all. When I took it apart to install wet bolts the bushings were shot at 2000 miles, had to replace all of them.

When I did ours, since I had it apart, I installed the HD shackles. When you look at the standard shackles they use and how thin they are, the new HD shackles look massive.

Good Job!
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, now I'm worried...after watching some youtube vids to remind me on bearing repacks and wet bolt lubing, I thought no problem. The bearings are just messy but only 3 of 7 wet bolts on the left side that I worked on today took grease. Seems like the other 4 need special attention. Not very good odds...
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First thing to try is jacking up the trailer, putting the jack under the frame at the rear spring hanger. Then try to get some grease in there.

If still no joy on grease, you are looking at the wet bolt replacement project. Great fun!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast