User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Add me to the braided pipe water leak club

In the middle of the night, my basement water alarm went off. I had been planning to replace the braided pipe to the hot water heater with PEX.

BUT....I guess that I sat on my butt too long. It blew right off of the brass barb on the top of the water heater.

Minor flood that would have been a major flood without a basement water alarm.

Word to the wise! Replace that crap as soon as you can! I had the pex and tools to replace it first thing this am.....back on the road!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DECelt; 04-03-2022 at 05:59 AM.
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a club member also. Glad you got it fixed with just minor flood
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a leak from the pex going into the water heater. Fortunately, I found it right away as water was leaking out the side immediately after setting up camp. Can you tell me what type of sensors you use and where exactly you place them? Sounds like cheap insurance against water damage. Thanks.
    Mike & Linda
    303RLS
    2013 F250 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use these. I probably have 4 throughout the rig with 3 being behind the basement panel in water connection locations. They work well (when I tested them; so far no leaks) and the give off a chirp when the battery is low.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I use these. I probably have 4 throughout the rig with 3 being behind the basement panel in water connection locations. They work well (when I tested them; so far no leaks) and the give off a chirp when the battery is low.
    Thank you very much!
    Mike & Linda
    303RLS
    2013 F250 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use the same detectors with the sensor placed behind the nautilus panel. They seem to last a good while on the 9v batteries. Of course we had a leak behind the water heater where we had no detector sensor, figures.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great advice. Thanks forum! Ordered a 3 pack of alarms. Cheap insurance. Thinking Nautilus panel, water heater, and not sure where to put the 3 rd one. Maybe under one of the sinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyStar View Post
    Great advice. Thanks forum! Ordered a 3 pack of alarms. Cheap insurance. Thinking Nautilus panel, water heater, and not sure where to put the 3 rd one. Maybe under one of the sinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I put mine: 1) near the water pump behind the Nautilus panel; 2) at the base of the water heater; 3) behind the basement wall where there are some Pex connections (I saw a drip from one once but have re-crimped and all OK now... but); 4) behind the toilet (I saw an RV flood once because the toilet water didn't shut off); 5)in the washer/dryer closet.

For the ones behind basement panels I put the actual device (electronics & battery box) velcro'ed to one of the aluminum floor supports on the top of the basement storage area so I could replace the batteries when necessary.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
    I had a leak from the pex going into the water heater. Fortunately, I found it right away as water was leaking out the side immediately after setting up camp. Can you tell me what type of sensors you use and where exactly you place them? Sounds like cheap insurance against water damage. Thanks.
    I went simple for the rv... Basement watchdog at Amazon. I placed the sensor under the back of the nautilus. So far, it has detected a small leak that would have been unnoticed for a while... And, of course, the major flood. It is loud enough to even wake me up [emoji38]

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditto on all the comments that the leak alarms are a good idea. I placed an aluminum baking pan at the bottom of the Nautilus panel and you can see the sensor taped inside the pan. My thought is that any leak will drip into the pan instead of going all over the place. One other thing I did was replace the carpeted wall piece with plexiglass. It isn't pretty but I can easily see whats going on in there. Lastly, when we leave the camper, I try to remember to turn off the water at the spigot.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1002.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	40034Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1001.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	40035
    Tim & Lisa
    2012 Silverado SRW LB 3500 Duramax
    2018 Reflection 337RLS, IS, Kodiak Discs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast