User Tag List

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Replacement Vendor Part A Vs Vendor B

What is Y 'all's attitude towards replacing a failed part with another vendors product. I know a real loaded question with a lot of personal opinions. Sometimes I have found its a crap shoot one way or the other and it can be less about price or name brand Vs what can you get ASAP to fix the problem. Especially for us fulltimers on the road.

Shurflo water pump Vs Lippert, Timken USA - Timken Other- Off brand China wheel bearings, WFCO Vs Others, on and on etc. On a critical part like a power product converter, inverter, monitor, the more quality the better, but still it can be about what you can get at the moment instead of waiting days or back ordered. Sometimes I have found a USA made product with good reviews may not be any better than other vendors, its just that it has made in the USA stamped on it. Sometimes it does make a difference. Most often I read reviews of the product if available, but always review with a weary eye.
    Wife talked me into buying a Shurflo spare water pump over a year ago and our OEM Lippert is still going strong and we have used it a lot.

What got me to thinking about this, Just now our secondary propane single stage regulator (red one on 5ers) just went out. A little oily and black stuff goo on it, the diaphragm went out. Lucky I walked by the tank door and smelled propane, opened the tank door and it nearly knocked me over the smell of propane.
    Got to get one on order and in this case vendors - Marshall Vs other brand provided by JR Products - 30 psi regulator. I see what's available are all pretty much made in China or India if that matters for a lot of people. Price not so much $20 Vs $29 and delivery next day Vs 2 day. Most reviews positive, yeah ok, but a couple negative. About a year ago, or a little over, I replaced the dual stage regulator with a Fairview, it's still ok. Guess its time to flip a coin, take a chance, the luck of the draw?
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My decision generally comes down to the quality of a product. Assuming it isn't outrageously expensive. It doesn't bother me a bit to replace one vendor's item with another's. Especially if think the replacement is better. If quality and price are equal it generally comes down to availability.

This easy to do when in a location with lots of options (or one where you can wait for a mail order item to arrive). I suppose in a not so ideal situation I would have to take what I could get.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    My decision generally comes down to the quality of a product. Assuming it isn't outrageously expensive. It doesn't bother me a bit to replace one vendor's item with another's. Especially if think the replacement is better. If quality and price are equal it generally comes down to availability.

This easy to do when in a location with lots of options (or one where you can wait for a mail order item to arrive). I suppose in a not so ideal situation I would have to take what I could get.
    Similar thoughts to above. For me it also depends on the criticality of the part. Wheel bearings and seals - I try to buy name brand and look at reviews. I'm just starting to look at tires now and will do the same. Price is not the number 1 objective for these types of items. I'm also looking at a replacement battery. In this case I'd love a $1k Battle Born Lithium just because of high reviews etc, but we don't boondock and am not interested in solar, so a $500 Lithium battery will probably be just fine.
    2019 Solitude S-Class 2930RL
    2021 RAM 3500 SRW CC Short Box HO Cummins Rear Air Suspension

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post

What he said

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I look for quality first. Then country of origin vs quality vs price. I’ll pay more (within reason) for equal or better quality made in North America. Then finally, customer service and parts/service availability if it’s something that may require future attention.

My champion generator as an example - it is not a North American product, but the North American based company has exceptional customer service, and the product offered greater capacity and built in propane compatibility. It cost significantly less than Honda (arguably an even better product, but no organic propane capability) but more than Harbor Freight and some other brands like Westinghouse (very little or unknown product support after sale, but same country of origin). Weighing those factors led to my choice. Everyone sets their own priorities, but I think blind vendor loyalty does the end user no good. If you chose to be loyal to a brand because such and such company has produced quality products and taken care of you over time, different story.

Basically, I could not care less what company made the original part if someone else has a better product that does not negatively affect function. There are brands that have earned my trust so I won’t research as much when it comes to a product they make. I am wary of all the identical overseas products with unknown brand names and therefore unknown quality/support.

I know there’s a USA based company making propane regulators at competitive prices, known for quality, and I even have one on my trailer, but can’t for the life of me remember the brand name.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If OEM Ford, Honda, or BMW parts fail within 100,000 miles or 5 years, I seek out alternative parts. Same with an RV.

After 2 Lippert/LCI Smart jacks failed, we replaced it with a Stromberg. Replaced the LCI vent caps with 360 Siphon (now owned by LCI). Replaced the Wyco power panel with Progressive. Replaced the fans with Maxxair Maxxfans.

We have a Shurflo pump in reserve after the LCI started making noise.
    Jeff and Mary
    2017 2600RB
    2022 F250 Lariat CC 6.7 w/ Max Tow
    Round Rock, (Donut Capital of Texas) <><

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We all seem to use the same criteria when having to do a repair or buy a new gadget. Generators are a good example, at the time we wanted to buy one just in case, the supply chain wasn't good, couldn't get the one we wanted. We settled for the Harbor Freight Predator 3500, sure glad we had it for the Texas freeze out. Later after extended use it started having troubles, used the extended warranty, swapped it for another new one.

Oh Tires, I hear ya, lets not go there!

Will get the new regulator today and get it swapped. Use our sniffer to check out the propane system for leaks.
    Trying to get our rig ready for our 4500 mile summer trip, hoping we don't have a lot of problems along the way. If we do we will just take it as it comes. That's the thing about fultiming, stay flexible and deal with what comes along.
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    We all seem to use the same criteria when having to do a repair or buy a new gadget. Generators are a good example, at the time we wanted to buy one just in case, the supply chain wasn't good, couldn't get the one we wanted. We settled for the Harbor Freight Predator 3500, sure glad we had it for the Texas freeze out. Later after extended use it started having troubles, used the extended warranty, swapped it for another new one.

Oh Tires, I hear ya, lets not go there!

Will get the new regulator today and get it swapped. Use our sniffer to check out the propane system for leaks.
    Trying to get our rig ready for our 4500 mile summer trip, hoping we don't have a lot of problems along the way. If we do we will just take it as it comes. That's the thing about fultiming, stay flexible and deal with what comes along.
    That is so true no matter whether one is full timing or a weekender. You just have to do all your preparations and then just take what ever comes.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    snip

Thought I would update - The new regulator (red) single stage is made by Fairview, same manufacturer as I installed for the dual stage over a year ago when it started leaking. Installed the new propane regulator all is well.