Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Truck Brakes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Truck Brakes

How often do you have to change your truck brakes? Also how do you know you need brakes without taking wheel off? I didn't notice my brakes were bad until I heard the grinding noise which was too late. Now I have to replace rotors. I'm getting less than 2 years out of my front brakes which is before inspection time to see if need new ones. I'm guessing I have to pull the tires every 6 months to make sure they are good. I hate doing that because the truck tires are hard to get off the truck.
    Allen & Denise
    Ford F350 Lariat CC SRW SB 4x4 Diesel
    2018 Solitude 310GK R

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I very mine when I swap my summer tires for winter tires and vice-versa. They used to have a metal plate that would squeak but Gary are unreliable. Visual inspection is all I rely on. 2 years? It really all depends on mileage and braking needs. In town while hauling is worse. Hopefully others with the same truck will chime in.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You’re gonna get the ‘I get 100k out of my brakes, your truck must be broken’ responses, but everyone’s driving style/cycle is different.

So let’s ask the simple questions: how many miles in 2 years? How are you driving it? IE commuting, highway, city traffic, lots of trailer towing, flat land vs mountains? And what is your driving style - calm and easy, or aggressive? Finally, what brakes are you having replaced that often? Factory? Lowest cost at advance auto? And the last question I will typically ask if someone is having excessive brake wear, but am wary to ask because it offends some people: are you a two footed driver? Meaning do you brake with your left foot vice the right. All these factors affect life and if you wanted to look at making some small changes (pad type as one example) you could probably improve the life.

I have a different Ford truck, but I got 65k out of my first set and they had life left when changed (a caliper slide pin seized up and the pad was worn crooked by the time I caught it). That seems to be median to low side on these trucks from what I have seen - a completely hearsay non-data point.

I check my wear when I rotate tires, which is about every 15k miles (I do every other oil change). Basically, anytime I already have the wheels off. It would be fine to rotate your tires every six months, but they are a bear - especially on a 350. How many miles would that be for you? Without getting an extending mirror, and honestly even with one, it’s tough to get an accurate read of wear with the wheels on. I couldn’t tell my slide pin was seized until I took the wheels off - by then it was too late.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess if you're using your truck as a mail delivery vehicle, then every 2 years would be about right. To me that sounds unreal. But as was said, a lot depends on your braking style. If I got less than 5-7 years out of a set of pads, I'd be wondering what was wrong. But that's me.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disk brake pads can be inspected without removing the wheels. When I had mine in for its last oil service, the service department sent me a video of the diesel tech doing a multip-point inspection. Brake pads were one of the things in the video. I just had the rear brake pads replaced at 63,000 miles (nearly all of them towing heavy). The front brakes are still good.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with checking without pulling wheels. I check mine usually during an engine oil, trans oil, axle grease change or tire rotation. A small led flashlight works well.

Also, with Fords electronic anti-sway control, prior to putting on a anti-sway bar and air bags was noticing my rears pads were wearing faster too when pulling my 5er.

I hoping with the addition of my disk conversion on my trailer, that i might get a litte more service life out of my truck brakes. Will see.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI, Ford makes a Heavy Duty line of brake pads, rotors etc. Specifically made to withstand higher heat.

My mechanic recommended Ford Heavy Duty brake parts for my F150. He had installed them for several of his fleet customers that pulled trailers and they extended their brake life.
    Jeff and Mary
    2017 2600RB
    2022 F250 Lariat CC 6.7 w/ Max Tow
    Round Rock, (Donut Capital of Texas) <><