User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Factory Disc Trailer Brake delay

I had read in a prior post on the forum that the factory disc brake controller had a tendency to delay application of the factory disc brakes. I definitely could feel that - both on application and release of the TV brake pedal which is making it a little difficult to find the sweet spot settings I'm comfortable with. It's quite noticeable when releasing the brake pedal in the TV, the 310 brakes still pull when applying throttle even with me delaying starting from a stop. When braking, I feel like the truck is doing most of the initial braking. I must have adjusted the settings 20 times on first short ride and I'm not sure whether I'm at where I want to be yet. Curious what others with late model RAMs have there settings at since I'm currently at 5 which seems a bit high for me - but heaviest trailer I've pulled so dunno.
    Thanks,
    John
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm at 5 too. You get used to it. I don't feel it unless I'm doing an emergency stop. Maybe I just drive easier than you.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am usually around 5 to 5.5 on my settings. Make sure that you have it set for the heavy trailer option. I have tried out of curiosity the light option, and found myself at 7 or 8.

I believe anything over 10K lbs, they recommend the heavy trailer selection.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    I had read in a prior post on the forum that the factory disc brake controller had a tendency to delay application of the factory disc brakes. I definitely could feel that - both on application and release of the TV brake pedal which is making it a little difficult to find the sweet spot settings I'm comfortable with. It's quite noticeable when releasing the brake pedal in the TV, the 310 brakes still pull when applying throttle even with me delaying starting from a stop. When braking, I feel like the truck is doing most of the initial braking. I must have adjusted the settings 20 times on first short ride and I'm not sure whether I'm at where I want to be yet. Curious what others with late model RAMs have there settings at since I'm currently at 5 which seems a bit high for me - but heaviest trailer I've pulled so dunno.
    Thanks,
    John
    Check to see if your Ram has an "Electric over Hydraulic" brake setting. Your problem might be caused by the brake controller not understanding that you have Electric Disc brakes.

On my Ford I have that as an option under the "Brake Controller" settings and I don't notice any real lag time when applying the brakes, and I definitely am not experiencing any delay in the trailer brakes releasing once I take my foot off the brake pedal.

By the way, my brake setting is at 5.5.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
    I am usually around 5 to 5.5 on my settings. Make sure that you have it set for the heavy trailer option. I have tried out of curiosity the light option, and found myself at 7 or 8.

I believe anything over 10K lbs, they recommend the heavy trailer selection.
    Yep, was set to light electric. Details on setting it are not in the big manual - found it on the settings display.
    TY very much!
    Robin & John
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    Check to see if your Ram has an "Electric over Hydraulic" brake setting. Your problem might be caused by the brake controller not understanding that you have Electric Disc brakes.

On my Ford I have that as an option under the "Brake Controller" settings and I don't notice any real lag time when applying the brakes, and I definitely am not experiencing any delay in the trailer brakes releasing once I take my foot off the brake pedal.

By the way, my brake setting is at 5.5.
    David,
    Took me awhile to find it but yes - 4 choices - Light Electric, Heavy Electric, Light EOH, Heavy EOH and truck was set to Light Electric. Now it's Heavy EOH. Will get to try it the correct way now. That was all in the 'entertainment center' and not described in the big manual. The other option is to define what type of trailer where they offer 5th Wheel or Gooseneck. Wasn't sure what to pick on that as the trailer is a 5th wheel, but I'm using a Goosebox. Picked 5th wheel.
    TY very much!
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Owner's manuals are getting bigger and bigger. And most every detail counts anymore. I think some of my college books were easier to read and understand. I still have to refer to mine from time to time to understand what I think I know.

as the saying goes..... RTFM
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    David,
    Took me awhile to find it but yes - 4 choices - Light Electric, Heavy Electric, Light EOH, Heavy EOH and truck was set to Light Electric. Now it's Heavy EOH. Will get to try it the correct way now. That was all in the 'entertainment center' and not described in the big manual. The other option is to define what type of trailer where they offer 5th Wheel or Gooseneck. Wasn't sure what to pick on that as the trailer is a 5th wheel, but I'm using a Goosebox. Picked 5th wheel.
    TY very much!
    Your welcome.

Don't you love the GooseBox, I sure do love ours.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    as the saying goes..... RTFM
    It is getting absurd. I did read it from cover to cover and nowhere in that manual does it describe how to set the trailer brakes other than gain which it covers over pages. Guess I'll have to look at volume 2
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    Your welcome.

Don't you love the GooseBox, I sure do love ours.
    I will say that it rode very smooth. I'm just going to double check everything because the dealer installed it. I watch the tech take it out of the box and it would not sit on the ball. So they were going to get a 'smaller' ball. NOT. One look under and I knew Reese had installed the coupler shaft with cut out facing aft. Quick fix. Also, it came with 8 bolts and they added two more - not sure why. He put 40 PSI in - pin isn't quite centered but he was hesitant to put any more in.
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast