User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    Why would it require a wood filler in the tube anymore than nailing would? I guess I can see why they would do it at the factory, it being faster than using screws, but why discourage a repair from being done that way?
    The aluminum studs used in the subfloor are thin wall. Aluminum is too soft to hold nails or screws. It seems that whatever nail they're using doesn't have enough bite to hold. Does GD use any glue under the subfloor? A good quality glue like a Sikaflex would work to hold the wood if the nails loosen up.
    Screws will strip to easy.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    Why would it require a wood filler in the tube anymore than nailing would? I guess I can see why they would do it at the factory, it being faster than using screws, but why discourage a repair from being done that way?
    Aluminum will not retain nails well.
    It is too soft for screws as well.
    As for putting wood inside them, that would need to be done before the studs were installed.Many manufacturers do this.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    Aluminum will not retain nails well.
    It is too soft for screws as well.
    As for putting wood inside them, that would need to be done before the studs were installed.Many manufacturers do this.
    I have to agree that the aluminum is too soft, and probably too thin, to hold a screw. However, as at least Brian and I have discovered, it's not holding the OEM nails either as my bumps are starting to appear and seen to be getting worse with each trip. The last one was about 2,400 miles there and back. Apparently, the natural frame flexing is moving the nails up. There weren't any bumps at the PDI. I'm surprised more people aren't experiencing this. Maybe we are just the "lucky" ones.

If the subfloor is 3/4" thick, how about using 1" long aluminum pop rivets? One would have to countersink the head slightly, about 1/16", but these would have the best chance of holding the floor down. Any thoughts?

Tom
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12