User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did my yearly Turning Point maintenance today.

I videoed my steps, however the first half didn't turn out. I first broke loose the wing bolts and disconnected the wiring clamp from the pin box. Then backed the truck under and connected the hitch. I used a floor jack and some wood blocks to hold the rear of the pin box, and removed the wing bolts. I raised the fifth wheel with the landing jacks to clear the pin box. Then positioned chocks behind the rear tires of the truck (to help position the truck when installing) and moved forward to work on the pin box. I removed the cotter pin and the large nut. It took two pry bars and a crow bar to separate the two pieces. The bearing was well greased but the shaft looked grimy. I cleaned that with steel wool, cleaned everything and packed the bearing and put back together. I torqued the large nut to 50 foot pounds and put a light film of grease on the nylatron per Lippert info. Then backed the truck to the chocks and used the landing jacks to align the bolts and snugged with my impact wrench. Pulled the truck out and torqued wing bolts to 175 Ft Pounds per Lippert. Attached the cord bracket and done. Total time about one hour 45 minutes.
    2018 F-250 CC Flatbed Short Bed
    2021 Reflection 260RD

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald J View Post
    I videoed my steps, however the first half didn't turn out. I first broke loose the wing bolts and disconnected the wiring clamp from the pin box. Then backed the truck under and connected the hitch. I used a floor jack and some wood blocks to hold the rear of the pin box, and removed the wing bolts. I raised the fifth wheel with the landing jacks to clear the pin box. Then positioned chocks behind the rear tires of the truck (to help position the truck when installing) and moved forward to work on the pin box. I removed the cotter pin and the large nut. It took two pry bars and a crow bar to separate the two pieces. The bearing was well greased but the shaft looked grimy. I cleaned that with steel wool, cleaned everything and packed the bearing and put back together. I torqued the large nut to 50 foot pounds and put a light film of grease on the nylatron per Lippert info. Then backed the truck to the chocks and used the landing jacks to align the bolts and snugged with my impact wrench. Pulled the truck out and torqued wing bolts to 175 Ft Pounds per Lippert. Attached the cord bracket and done. Total time about one hour 45 minutes.
    I performed the same maintenance using the same approach weekend before last. Very similar experience with disassembly. Poor Lippert design as they should have included tapped 5/8-11 jacking points in the corners to aid in the separation and added a zerk fitting to allow external greasing of the bushing. The MoRryde rotating 5th has the ability to grease externally.